Is it time for Morrissey to retire?

Have you actually read OP?
Possibly she was too young to know what was going on at that time.

Despite not having a recording contract 1997 - 2003, Morrissey continued touring.
He did not give up.

What the flip are you going on about.

I don't think it's time, but I'm not fully convinced that Morrissey agrees with me on that.

I don't think it is time for him to retire. He is still very pertinent in the whole scheme of things. His writing will never get old. His voice will hopefully hold out at least 10 more years. He appears to be fit and able to tour, and I would be jockeying for front and center to see him if he did (as many of us would), so, I think he is up to the task. The only thing that Morrissey really has working against him besides the constant tick-tock of youth dwindling away is the music business itself that seems to wear him down more than anything. If he can put up with all the B.S. involved with that, I think he will remain with us much longer. That would be a wonderful thing, as I am convinced he has much more to tell the world!

You can only retire if you have a job. I don't personally think being Morrissey is a job. I don't personally think that concept exists for some people. All you could get would be a decision not to perform live any more. A person can always change their mind about that. Or a decision not to release music any more. Why would any creative person want to make a declaration like that?

I don't subscribe to the concept of "retirement" for Morrissey.

Can someone name some artists who have actually retired in the last 10-20 years?
And I mean really retired, not like say, Tina Turner or Cher who have farewell tours every year ;)

"If, when, why, what, how much have you got " ....... oops a bit off piste sorry,

Um,

For the record, it will happen

Why are you so rude? Honestly.

I would like him to carry on for years to come, I think sighting old twits like jagger goes against the case for him continuing.
What has Jagger and his ilk done of any worth since 1980?

Also, Bowie ( whom I don't consider as a Jagger type) is semi retired and quite unwell (he is though making a new LP, I can't wait).

The reason I would like Moz to carry on is because his voice gets better and better.
It's a shame he made such grand claims for jacking it in while young, in the Smiths days but there you go.

I don't really see why anybody would want him to retire now, unless you don't like him or unless he wants to.

I would quit while you're ahead if I were you, Moz, if you're reading this!

Behind all the egomaniacal posturing, you must realise you're not half the lyricist or singer you used to be.

I have a lot of respect for musicians who go out at the top. The Jam would be a good example. Most bands are dominant in one decade, to be popular over several decades is rare. The eighties belonged to the Smiths and if they'd carried on longer they would have turned into REM. And no one wants that!

Should Morrissey have called it a day after Vauxhall & I and gone out at the top? Part of me likes the idea.

no,morrissey should continue to do whatever he pleases,if that means lying low for a while then do it,i am speaking from a purely personal view but i get such pleasure from seeing him sing he adds some substance to music today which it and i need,i like the whole live expierence what he's sings what he dosn't everything,i might sound sad but i hope he never packs it in everytime i have been lucky to see morrissey loads of times and hope to do so again soon

He'll obviously die on stage. It almost happened already. :tears:

I would quit while you're ahead if I were you, Moz, if you're reading this!

Behind all the egomaniacal posturing, you must realise you're not half the lyricist or singer you used to be.

There's a great thread about Moz not being the idol he once was you'd be perfect for. They're running out of morons for the "For" side.

Unlike Moz and the most of us, if you haven't evolved or changed since you were a teenager it's natural to feel that way.

Back
Top Bottom