Is It Really So Strange...that these lyrics could be Moz at his most gay?

Because they are human beings - which by default means that 95% of them have no taste in music. I should know - you should hear the crap that my gay neighbors listen to. I mean, they like Celine Dion for chrissakes! They went to see Cher! It's a very sick world we live in.

It also seems that more gay men were into Morrissey when he was young and gorgeous, but now that he's older and not so attractive, they couldn't care less. During the Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal tours, the gay boys were EVERYWHERE. It seemed like gay men made up the majority of the audience at some of the shows. Now it seems like there are way more straight women who fancy Moz. I mean, you used to rarely see any women getting up on stage - it was all men (and lots of straight men, at that). But now? Seems like women and kids are getting onstage. It's very, very strange.

What a load of twaddle. In the early days all the boys at school and college and for many years after that I knew loved Morrrissey and they were all straight. The majority of his male fans are straight and always have been. That is why he is such an enigma.People can`t understand why.I think you have to be working class English to appreciate the appeal he had in the 80`s and early 90`s. Gay blokes that I know like Erasure and the Pet Shop Boys and did 20 years ago.

The beauty of Morrissey's genius is that different people from all over the world can relate to his words and intepret them in their own way. As I'm about as gay as an office stapler, I don't really feel the need to trawl through his lyrics trying to find any links to homosexuality, but each to their own and all that.

I have to ask this of anyone who is more involved with gay culture than I am (which is to say, just about anyone, if anyone I know personally in real life is gay it's news to me) but do you think Moz is shunned somewhat because most people assume he's gay but not out?

hahaha this interpretation reminds me of that Diana/Morrissey connection website.

What is the evidence that he is gay?
Personality traits?
Song lyrics?
His physicality?

I agree with much of Roma's analysis. IIRSS is full of gay innuendo and metaphor.

Plus isn't part of English gay folklore to 'leave the north and head south'? A la 'Sexy Northerner' by Pet Shop Boys?

Last edited:
Yes but he leaves the South and goes North again. At best he's confused.

English gay folklore

Let's ask these guys.

EDS_SUMMER07_cover.jpg

Last edited:
What is the evidence that he is gay?
Personality traits?
Song lyrics?
His physicality?

what is that your or anyone else's business anyway!?!?!?!?! would you like people publically discussing your sexuality and analyzing you from a sexual perspective every day.

honestly, you'd figure people would get tired of this discussion during the last, what, 20+ years... especially within the 'fan' base...

U can tell morrissey wanted get his hands all over marr.

You win. That's the most gay photo of Moz any of us is ever likely to see. It's so gay it makes my eyes hurt. Although, the lady with the horrid shoes to his right might as well be a drag queen... those are some bad shoes.

not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good (there it is) :p

Christ...

Seems to me like the protagonist is stuck in a violent relationship. He/she is punched and kicked but he/she still loves their partner. Then he/she asks the world if it is so strange that there is still love there. Have none of you watched Eastenders? LITTLE MO AND TREV!!!

why does everything have to be gay? WHY?!

Christ...

Seems to me like the protagonist is stuck in a violent relationship. He/she is punched and kicked but he/she still loves their partner. Then he/she asks the world if it is so strange that there is still love there. Have none of you watched Eastenders? LITTLE MO AND TREV!!!

why does everything have to be gay? WHY?!

Aye, or everybody's favourite theme of unrequited love, where the object has a degree in self-defense, and manages at least to confuse the subject:p

I love this thread, thanks for starting it. :p

I've always interpreted "The Boy with the thorn" as a 'coming' out song. Also, possibly the feelings of homophobia.

I've always thought Morrissey is obsessed with very handsome men, and the homoerotic/sexual
The sleeves, the songs, Picadilly Palare, his hand on my knee, I wan't the one I can't have, Hand In Glove, the end of the family line, the woman of my dreams, well there never was one, ...etc

Because they are human beings - which by default means that 95% of them have no taste in music. I should know - you should hear the crap that my gay neighbors listen to. I mean, they like Celine Dion for chrissakes! They went to see Cher! It's a very sick world we live in.

It also seems that more gay men were into Morrissey when he was young and gorgeous, but now that he's older and not so attractive, they couldn't care less. During the Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal tours, the gay boys were EVERYWHERE. It seemed like gay men made up the majority of the audience at some of the shows. Now it seems like there are way more straight women who fancy Moz. I mean, you used to rarely see any women getting up on stage - it was all men (and lots of straight men, at that). But now? Seems like women and kids are getting onstage. It's very, very strange.

Ahem

I've been a MOZ fan since 93' and I'm gay, and I go to dance clubs, and I listen to 'some' pop music, some of which you may consider gay, and I've even seen Cher live, yet Morrissey takes up 90% of my music time. Meaning, I listen to him more than any other artist.
I think you can be gay, bi, whatever and listen to pop, rock, rap, hip hope or whatever, and STILL love Morrissey to death.
I dunno, I think listening to just one thing is just boring. I don't care how Morrissey feels about the pop/club music, I can appreciate it for what it is.
Pop isn't suppose to be all deep and epic, its suppose to just be pop music you dance to.
When i go out to dance, I don't want to listen to morrissey lol.
When I'm at home, lounging, laughing, crying, whatever, I play MOZ Mazzy Star, Pumpkins, whatever. Like everything, every genre has its place.
and lastly, there is still many gay boys who appreciate, and attend Morrissey shows.

Morrissey has said that Boy with a Thorn is about critics and I believe him. I believe Morrissey is quite a singular person who is obsessed with his place as an artist far more than he is interested in romantic relationships. His songs are riddled with examinations of the way he is perceived as an artist. It's something that has dominated his life and work.

It's natural though that people that don't have that kind of sense of vocation would interpret such songs as being about romantic relationships because that is what most people expect pop songs to be about.

"I left the North
I travelled South
I found a tiny house
And I can't help the way I feel"

He left Manchester and went to London

‘Oh yes, you can kick me
And you can punch me
And you can break my face
But you won't change the way I feel
'Cause I love you
Oh ...’

London is tough but he wants to be there

‘And is it really so strange ?
Oh, is it really so strange ?
Oh, is it really so, really so strange ?
I say NO, you say YES
(and you will change your mind)’

Is it really so strange for someone to want to leave a small town and head for London?

‘Why is the last mile the hardest mile ?
My throat was dry, with the sun in my eyes
And I realised, I realised
I could never
I could never, never, never, go back home again’

Now he has mixed feelings, excitement and fear, but he does it, he leaves Manchester forever.

exactly, this is how i feel about this song. I mean 'i left my bags in newport pagnall isn;t exactly the most homo-erotic phrase known to man.

I think the attraction to the gay community is stronger in the US because journalists there stated that he was a gay artist. They presented him like that so it determined his audience.

True - I am talking about the U.S. - specifically the San Francisco Bay area. I know that things are much different in England.

Back
Top Bottom