Is It Really So Strange...that these lyrics could be Moz at his most gay?

Roma De Moz

Fat Children Took My Life
"I left the North
I travelled South
I found a tiny house
And I can't help the way I feel"

"North and South" - opposing directions, at odds with one another, synomous perhaps in terms of the song with convention and non-convention (straight, gay?)

"Tiny house" - Do I need to spell it out? The protagonist has left North, gone South and found a tiny house? But he can't help the way he feels...

Oh yes, you can kick me
And you can punch me
And you can break my face
But you won't change the way I feel
'Cause I love you
Oh ...

Possible refrence to gay bashing? Violence towards indivduals of non-conventional sexuality? I remember reading in Passion And Scandal about a similar incident that Moz suffered with a friend of his in Manchester.

And is it really so strange ?
Oh, is it really so strange ?
Oh, is it really so, really so strange ?
I say NO, you say YES
(and you will change your mind)

Does the other partner feel nervous and insecure with admitting his sexuality? He says "YES" it is quite "strange"?

Why is the last mile the hardest mile ?
My throat was dry, with the sun in my eyes
And I realised, I realised
I could never
I could never, never, never, go back home again

Last mile is the hardest mile" - last mile - coming out to your parents, admittance to your siblings.

I could never, never, never, go back home again - parents don't accept, he is cast off in typically ironic style, after attempting to convince his partner to change his mind, which would no doubt lead to a similar fate.

So, what do you think of my theory?

Oh purlease,its about as gay as David Hasslehoff.:confused:You could read sexual innuendo into anything you like.His only gayish lyric as far as I`m concerned is Dear God Please Help Me.

Oh, I've always thought this song had a distinctly gay theme. Especially the chorus, "I love you... and is it really so strange?" Every gay person can relate to that sentiment.

It's so hard to choose his most "gay" song as almost every song has its gay moments, but the song that I can relate to most vividly as a gay person is "I Am Hated For Loving". Sums it all up in the title, doesn't he?

"North and South" - opposing directions, at odds with one another, synomous perhaps in terms of the song with convention and non-convention (straight, gay?)

"Tiny house" - Do I need to spell it out? The protagonist has left North, gone South and found a tiny house? But he can't help the way he feels...

Possible refrence to gay bashing? Violence towards indivduals of non-conventional sexuality? I remember reading in Passion And Scandal about a similar incident that Moz suffered with a friend of his in Manchester.

Does the other partner feel nervous and insecure with admitting his sexuality? He says "YES" it is quite "strange"?

Last mile is the hardest mile" - last mile - coming out to your parents, admittance to your siblings.

I could never, never, never, go back home again - parents don't accept, he is cast off in typically ironic style, after attempting to convince his partner to change his mind, which would no doubt lead to a similar fate.

Pretty solid interpretation, except for the "tiny house" bit which I don't really buy.

However, the words are open-ended and might just as likely be a "straight" song. I don't think it's concealing anything. As I hear it, the song is sort of a happy admission of confusion. The "you" he addresses is a lover but, at the same time, the abstract "you" or "they" who accuse him of having too much caffeine in his bloodstream in "A Rush And A PusH", maybe they're the tired family in "London". In any case, to me the song is about the joy of not being settled in life. Still figuring it out. My inner ear hears the sweet sounds of The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited" behind Morrissey's vocals: "I'm about to lose control/And I think I like it!"

It's so hard to choose his most "gay" song as almost every song has its gay moments

True, but for the most literally gay song the choice is obvious: "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others".

"The whole idea of womanhood is something that to me is largely unexplored. I'm realising things about women that I never realised before and 'Some Girls' is just taking it down to the basic absurdity of recognizing the contours to one's body. The fact that I've scuttled through 26 years of life without ever noticing that the contours of the body are different is an outrageous farce!"

Morrissey, June 1986

True, but for the most literally gay song the choice is obvious: "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others".

"The whole idea of womanhood is something that to me is largely unexplored. I'm realising things about women that I never realised before and 'Some Girls' is just taking it down to the basic absurdity of recognizing the contours to one's body. The fact that I've scuttled through 26 years of life without ever noticing that the contours of the body are different is an outrageous farce!"

Morrissey, June 1986

Yes, you make an excellent point! Er, two of them!

Yes, you make an excellent point! Er, two of them!

Haha, right. You can imagine why his teenager encounters with girls were so brief and brutal.

"Oh, you've got two of these. That's interesting, very interesting, because Charlotte Bronte never mentioned that. And through your sweater, it-- it appears as if it's all...one mass...sort of..."

"You can touch them if you like, Steve."

"I-- I really must be going now."

Haha, right. You can imagine why his teenager encounters with girls were so brief and brutal.

"Oh, you've got two of these. That's interesting, very interesting, because Charlotte Bronte never mentioned that. And through your sweater, it-- it appears as if it's all...one mass...sort of..."

"You can touch them if you like, Steve."

"I-- I really must be going now."

Haha! That exchange totally reminds me of the Antonella Black/Morrissey exchange in 1985:

Do you get turned on by situations in which you're repressed?
"No I don't. I think I'm always 'turned on'."
I mean sexually aroused.
"Next question."
Why? You're lying through your teeth and we both know it.
"One has to protect oneself."
From what?
"Eroticism."
But if you have 'erotic feelings', why don't you sleep with anyone?
"Well, it just doesn't happen."
Why don't you make it happen?
"I don't want to anymore, I don't want to. I don't. No, I'm not going to instigate things anymore."
So you're telling me that if some dark man came up behind you in the hall, pulled your Marks and Spencers down and...
"I can't grasp what you're talking about!"
I'm sure you could if you tried hard enough.
"I just can't grasp it, I'm sorry."

<Exit Moz>

a swallow on my neck ..he drew a swallow on my neck and more i will bot say.he drew a swallow on my neck and soon everyone knew
a swallow on someones neck has several meaning one being "the bird" in jail
also a swallow on someones neck also means lovebite
jake drawing fake tats on him..remember
the funeral is of course the onlly dfelect part as the person drawing on him is too obvious.

the woman of my dreams -there never was one

iam the end of the family line and there as a place in hell for me and my friends comes in mind
and I always consider, these things take time..

"you took me behind a disused railway line
and said "I know a place where we can go
where we are not known"
and you gave me something that I won't forget too soon"

you gave me something..well

also i always consider even if he said in an interview thats its about the music press and his band
the boy with the thorn in his side
sounds like a perfect coming out situation song for me( in front of parents or friends)

_" how can they see the love in our eyes
and still they dont believe us"

and especially the lines

: "and when you want to Live
how do you start ?
where do you go ?
who do you need to know "

describes at least for me personally the moment where you realise that you are gay aka still diff to the mostly straight world and kind of lost...and feeling alone ...on a diff l "lonely and lost"level that yoy cant fully understand if you are straight

btw. he has said: "all the songs I wrote are only and exclusvly about me"

so much for the part the homoerotic parts are all fiction and the parts of woman happening are real.

Last edited:
Relax"

Oh oh
Wee-ell-Now!

Relax don't do it
When you want to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
When you want to come

Relax don't do it
When you want to to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
Relax don't do it
When you want to suck to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come
Come-oh oh oh

But shoot it in the right direction
Make making it your intention-ooh yeah
Live those dreams
Scheme those schemes
Got to hit me
Hit me
Hit me with those laser beams

I'm coming
I'm coming-yeah

Relax don't do it
When you want to go to it
Relax don't do it
When you want to come

Relax don't do it
When you want to suck to it
Relax don't do it (love)
When you want to come
When you want to come
When you want to come
Come-huh

Get it up
The scene of love
Oh feel it

describes at least for me personally the moment where you realise that you are gay aka still diff to the mostly straight world and kind of lost...and feeling alone ...on a diff l "lonely and lost"level that yoy cant fully understand if you are straight

You don't think straight people ever feel lonely or lost? :rolleyes:

You don't think straight people ever feel lonely or lost? :rolleyes:

if you read mÿ thread intently
i state in my thread/ i did make it clear that its a DIFFERENT! "lonely and lost " feEeing that straight people do feel -especially at the moment when they realise that they are gay-as a teenager/and or later
living in a small town and do have the feeling that you are the only gay person within 100 kilometers and have no idea where to find some people like you ( at a time where the internet was not as widespread as now (mid/ate 90ties)

yes THAT is different - I DID FEEL THAT andI talked to some Friends about that issue and they fully agree...

Last edited:
Not another one of these!

Not another one of whats? Discussions about Morrissey and sexuality? You can never have too many of those! They make the world go round.

Of course Moz' lyrics are gay, hand in glove for example, I wouldn't be suprised if this was about homosexuality also - sexual interpretations are another reasons why Morrissey's lyrics are brilliant.

Oh, I've always thought this song had a distinctly gay theme. Especially the chorus, "I love you... and is it really so strange?" Every gay person can relate to that sentiment.

So us poor straights can't relate to that?

iam the end of the family line and there as a place in hell for me and my friends comes in mind

the boy with the thorn in his side
sounds like a perfect coming out situation song for me( in front of parents or friends)

_" how can they see the love in our eyes
and still they dont believe us"

and especially the lines

: "and when you want to Live
how do you start ?
where do you go ?
who do you need to know "

I absolutely agree with these. "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is a gay anthem. Also, "I Know It's Over": "Love is natural and real but not for such as you and I, my love". So true.

So us poor straights can't relate to that?

Not in the same way at all. I mean, nobody thinks it's strange for a man to love a woman or for a woman to love a man... but many people think it's strange for two people of the same sex to fall in love and share a life together.

Back
Top Bottom