Is It Really So Strange...that these lyrics could be Moz at his most gay?

Somehow, I knew you would. Thanks, pandy.

You two are entirely too dull. If we don't talk about Morrissey, then why are we here? What would you like to talk about? Southpaw Grammar? Mick Middles? Deano? Boz's glass playing skills?

And while I'm here, to enliven the dreariness, I thought I'd share four of Morrissey's greatest homoerotic moments:

david.jpg

mozbelly.jpg

yuckjake.jpg

we008.jpg

Okay, I'm off to work now. The thread is all yours.

You two are entirely too dull. If we don't talk about Morrissey, then why are we here? What would you like to talk about? Southpaw Grammar? Mick Middles? Deano? Boz's glass playing skills?

You might say we are dull, but you are the one that is discussing a topic that has already been discussed numerous times. That's hardly enlightening or imaginative.

I do talk about Morrissey, just not about his sexuality, which I think is completely his own business. I'd much prefer to talk about his music, or even his looks, but certainly not his sexual preference. If Morrissey doesn't want to talk about his sexual orientation, then why should we?

But thanks for further proving that your opinion sucks. I really appreciate it. Mazel tov!

You might say we are dull, but you are the one that is discussing a topic that has already been discussed numerous times. That's hardly enlightening or imaginative.

I do talk about Morrissey, just not about his sexuality, which I think is completely his own business. I'd much prefer to talk about his music, or even his looks, but certainly not his sexual preference. If Morrissey doesn't want to talk about his sexual orientation, then why should we?

But thanks for further proving that your opinion sucks. I really appreciate it. Mazel tov!

Au contraire, mon frére - my opinion is most excellent. I've been obsessed with da man since 1984 and have followed his every utterance. Everything I say is backed-up with abundant data. I wouldn't say the things I say if I didn't have the proof to back it up.

I know this is pointless, but I want to make a few points in closing:

1) YOU may have discussed it numerous times, but I have not. It's ridiculous to assume that everyone who inhabits a huge discussion forum is familiar with every other thread that has ever occurred in the history of the forum, and that they have been involved in every discussion that has occurred. Usually, I am too busy for this forum, but lately I've been bored at work so figured I'd give it a go. Now I am reminded why I usual avoid this forum. Everyone's just way too uptight. Where's the love? Where's the joy? Where's the sense of fun? If all people do here is point out that topics have already been discussed before, well, how boring. Really, hasn't EVERYTHING been discussed before... at different times... by different people? I might as well give up speaking since I'm sure the same sentences have been formed by another human being at another time in history. Sheesh.

2) Morrissey's sexuality is no more his own business than his vegetarianism or his idolation of Oscar Wilde. The second he sang, "When we're in your scholarly room, who will swallow whom" and declared himself celibate, his sexuality became one of the defining attributes of his career. Morrissey has always loved to talk about sex. So don't try to tell me that it's not appropriate to discuss his sexuality. He lives for this kind of discussion.

Okay, I'm off to bed now... and I will not respond to this thread any longer. I've wasted too much time and energy trying to have meaningful philosophical conversations with you kids. Oh well, I'll never learn...

Oh, I've always thought this song had a distinctly gay theme. Especially the chorus, "I love you... and is it really so strange?" Every gay person can relate to that sentiment.

It's so hard to choose his most "gay" song as almost every song has its gay moments, but the song that I can relate to most vividly as a gay person is "I Am Hated For Loving". Sums it all up in the title, doesn't he?

the first Smiths single was and still is , lyricwise, the best coming out of
the closet song

[Hand in Glove]

I think it's a fair topic. We're not discussing the question of his sexuality so much as we are his lyrics.
I think "I want the one I can't have" is more obvious. This part especially.

And if you ever need self-validation
Just meet me in the alley by the
Railway station
It's all over my face

Then there's "what difference does it make", "you've got everything now", "pretty girls make graves" (in case you weren't getting that the others were about males he put that one in to clear it up for us all. He's not the man you think he is.) and so on and so on.

And maybe this is why he will never explain his sexuality. Yes, I know that quote about how he could fall in love with a man or a woman. That's no revelation is it? I think it's probably true for most of us. It doesn't necessarily place you in any of the three categories though. Anyway, I'm trying not to talk about his sexuality. I know that upsets people. Women, mostly for some reason. I don't mean that trying to be cute. I just think that all but the dullest males get the point of songs like the ones I mentioned. And that doesn't make you gay, so relax.

You could write an entire thesis on the gay imagery and references that pepper Morrissey's work. And, in fact, some people have.

Here's my great theory of sexuality (which you no doubt have never wanted to know): I think that sexuality is a spectrum and that at one extreme are people who are exclusively homosexual and at the other are people who are exclusively heterosexual. Those people are in the extreme minority. Most people fall somewhere in between and, given the right situation and the right person, are capable of falling in love with someone of the same sex or the opposite sex.

For example, I fall distinctly towards the homosexual side of the spectrum, but I've been in a long-term relationship with a man and it was a good experience. My girlfriend of 4 years is bisexual on the hetero side of the scale. She's definitely more attracted to men than women, but we've been quite happy together for four years, and we're looking at buying a condo together so we're definitely not breaking up anytime soon.

I think Morrissey is bisexual on the homosexual side of the spectrum. He has always been extremely open and honest about his sexuality and the fact that he has been attracted to both men and women in his life. He has openly discussed going to gay bars and having been in love with a girl during his teenage years. I believe that he was in love with both Linder and Johnny Marr. I also believe that he and Jake were a couple, and that their breakup was one of the primary reasons that he left England and went into the "dark period" after Vauxhall and I.

I don't really think there's any mystery at all about Morrissey's sexuality - he has laid it all out in the open for us. However, lots of people in the gay community have a problem with bisexuality and, it's true, many people resent him because he won't "come out". But he'll never "come out" because he already IS out - as a sensitive bisexual man with a history of heartbreak and bad sexual experiences who chose to abstain for many years rather than risk further pain - and always has been, from "Hand In Glove" through "At Last I Am Born"... and onwards.

But... having said all that, I do think that you'd have to be blind not to see that gay culture has played an enormously important role in Morrissey's iconography and that the gay "experience" is one of his primary lyrical themes. Obviously, some of those themes are universal to anyone who feels like an outsider - that's why we all love him so. But there's a reason why such gay/bisexual icons as James Dean and Oscar Wilde are featured on his backdrop, or why t-shirts were printed with WIDE TO RECEIVE along the bum, or why that image of Robert Wagner suggestively jumping up behind Jeffrey Hunter was used as a t-shirt image and backdrop or why Spencer Cobrin licked that ice cream cone suggestively in the "We Hate It..." video. Morrissey loves to celebrate homoerotica - and thank goodness for that. It's one of the most enjoyable aspects of his celebrity.

Your theory will provide comfort to insecure gay people, but it flies in the face of science. Evolution and genetics dictates that most mammals are exclusively hetrosexual.

I know this is pointless...

Pearls before swine, baybee!

Hola, Comtesse!

Don't mind the porkers. Hope you're dreaming sweet things as I type this.

I clicked onto this thread because although I think there is a lot of queerness in Morrissey's lyrics, IIRSS does not jump out at me as a particularly homoerotic song! It's not even especially erotic IMHO. But I haven't the patience to go back and read the beginning of this discussion to see how some think this is a gay song.

I don't think I have much to say publically about Morrissey's sexuality since someone else summed it up perfectly already! ;)

http://www.debaser.org/mozskin/

Your theory will provide comfort to insecure gay people, but it flies in the face of science. Evolution and genetics dictates that most mammals are exclusively hetrosexual.

Obviously an educated lover of the mysteries researched in the scientific world...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/07/0722_040722_gayanimal.html

What was that Morrissey said about a benighted journalist who described Morrissey as combining the worst aspects of homosexuality and bestiality -- "as if there were the 'best' aspects of bestiality?" :p

what is that your or anyone else's business anyway!?!?!?!?! would you like people publically discussing your sexuality and analyzing you from a sexual perspective every day.

honestly, you'd figure people would get tired of this discussion during the last, what, 20+ years... especially within the 'fan' base...

Firstly,this is a site that explores/discusses the life and work of Morrissey.
His sexuality informs both.
Secondly, surely if there is no evidence to the contrary it would be correct to assume he is straight(as the majority of people are).
Thirdly,that's why i'm asking for what evidence there is for people thinking he may be gay.

Personally,I'm not so interested in Morrissey's sexuality per se but the reasons people have for thinking they know his sexuality.
Oh,and people do discuss my sexuality:doesn't bother me in the slightest

Why, why, why, why do we keep having these threads?

Because its human nature to be nosey and speculate.It makes for a good bit of escapism and is a darn sight more interesting than discussing what w`eve had for tea.:p Even Morrissey loves a good gossip. He loves to pull people apart.Not to their face ofcourse.:D

[...] "what difference does it make", "you've got everything now", "pretty girls make graves" [...]

dave, you're great etc., but i don't agree with you.

Fair enough. On to more important matters, do you disagree that Morrissey should wear washed black tshirts?

Fair enough. On to more important matters, do you disagree that Morrissey should wear washed black tshirts?

i know this is going to be controversial, dave, but i really do think that he should. i have a couple, myself, and i like them. today, i'm wearing a washed-out navy blue one, though. i like the look of those guys in the picture, too. they look like they know what they're doing.

That's the main thing I take umbridge to in this. If so, why the hell isn't every single gay person on the planet buying Morrissey records!? Because I think we all know they're not.

to zone out a bit:
well you should go to berlin where we have plenty of queer"indie rock" parties and even a queer moz smiths tribute party called morrisseylicious and they are very well attended ! only because the cliche insists that we all listen to celine dion and house music -well it is wrong t-...berlin by the way has a variety of possibilties to go out ..a little ad here-anyone who wants more about that just ask me-i won`t say no,how could I ;-)
p.s. queer implies all -i dont want to come up with gay again...

simon goddard mentioned in his book i started something i couldnt finish-"homoerotic overtones" as he puts it and take the 18 months hard labour and compared it to the imprisonment of oscar wilde.

The lanes were silent
with nothing or no one around for miles
I doused our friendly venture
with a hard-faced
three-word gesture
I started something
I forced you into a zone
and you were clearly
never meant to go
hair brushed and parted

typical me, typical me
typical me