Is Honey, the stuff from bees, vegan?

The Seeker of Good Songs

Was reading an article about benefits of eating local honey, instead of supermarket, box store honey, that is sourced from who knows where, and the article stated that honey was not vegan because it is produced by bees, an animal.

Was reading an article about benefits of eating local honey, instead of supermarket, box store honey, that is sourced from who knows where, and the article stated that honey was not vegan because it is produced by bees, an animal.
Honey's not vegan. Neither is gelatin, which is used in the capsules my vitamin D supplements come in. The vitamin D itself isn't even vegan. 'Cholecalciferol' It's from sheep lanolin or something. Gelatin is from animal corpses. It's impossible to be completely vegan. My crayons and even watercolor paints contain animals.

Honey's not vegan. Neither is gelatin, which is used in the capsules my vitamin D supplements come in. The vitamin D itself isn't even vegan. 'Cholecalciferol' It's from sheep lanolin or something. Gelatin is from animal corpses. It's impossible to be completely vegan. My crayons and even watercolor paints contain animals.

Not true, it is possible to have an entirely vegan based diet.

The vitamins you take are obviously not vegan.

Buy vegan friendly vitamins and you too can get all the vitamin D you need.

There are plenty of vitamins that are vegan friendly, examples of some below, describes its vitamin D source.

“HIGHEST QUALITY VEGAN VITAMIN D3 CAPSULES: The bioavailable Vitamin D3 1,000 IU in our product is derived from sustainably grown lichen used in foods for centuries. To ensure freshness, the Vitamin D3-rich oil is processed at the site where the lichen is harvested. Unlike other vitamin d3 supplements, vitamin d3 tablets vitamin d3 capsules or vitamin d3 pills, our potent Vitamin D3 formula is vegan and vegetarian friendly.”

available in a mini vegetarian capsule that’s convenient and easy to swallow.”

“Non-GMO Verified, Vegan Certified, 100% Plant Based Vitamin K2+D3 softgel available. Free of Animal Ingredients such as Lanolin and Bovine Gelatin
PLANT-BASED INGREDIENTS | 100% Vegan Vitamin D3 from Lichen and Mk-7 Vitamin K2 from Chickpea encapsulated in a Non-GMO Tapioca softgel capsule.

“Most vitamin D3 supplements are made of lanolin, which is extracted from sheep wool. We do not use animal by-products of any kind. Our D3 is 100% plant-based and made from organic lichen

Vitamin D3 (from Organic Lichen) 62.5 mcg (2500 IU) 313%, Other Ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose Capsule”

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Not true, it is possible to have an entirely vegan based diet.

The vitamins you take are obviously not vegan.

Buy vegan friendly vitamins and you too can get all the vitamin D you need.

There are plenty of vitamins that are vegan friendly, examples of some below, describes its vitamin D source.

“HIGHEST QUALITY VEGAN VITAMIN D3 CAPSULES: The bioavailable Vitamin D3 1,000 IU in our product is derived from sustainably grown lichen used in foods for centuries. To ensure freshness, the Vitamin D3-rich oil is processed at the site where the lichen is harvested. Unlike other vitamin d3 supplements, vitamin d3 tablets vitamin d3 capsules or vitamin d3 pills, our potent Vitamin D3 formula is vegan and vegetarian friendly.”

available in a mini vegetarian capsule that’s convenient and easy to swallow.”

“Non-GMO Verified, Vegan Certified, 100% Plant Based Vitamin K2+D3 softgel available. Free of Animal Ingredients such as Lanolin and Bovine Gelatin
PLANT-BASED INGREDIENTS | 100% Vegan Vitamin D3 from Lichen and Mk-7 Vitamin K2 from Chickpea encapsulated in a Non-GMO Tapioca softgel capsule.

“Most vitamin D3 supplements are made of lanolin, which is extracted from sheep wool. We do not use animal by-products of any kind. Our D3 is 100% plant-based and made from organic lichen

Vitamin D3 (from Organic Lichen) 62.5 mcg (2500 IU) 313%, Other Ingredients: Vegetable Cellulose Capsule”

I used to go out of my way to seek out vegan supplements. After getting sore kidneys for three months from vegan multivitamins, I gave up. Maybe I'll try again, to make my diet completely vegan.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I used to go out of my way to seek out vegan supplements. After getting sore kidneys for three months from vegan multivitamins, I gave up. Maybe I'll try again, to make my diet completely vegan.

Yeah, if your doctor is vegan and they told you that your kidney problem was due to the vegan multivitamins, then maybe that is true.

It could be that particular vegan multi vitamin you chose, there are plenty of other brands out there.

If your not doing this under a vegan doctors supervision, then I would try
different vegan multi vitamins before making the judgment that it was in fact
the vegan multi vitamin that was the source of your health issue.

You can also skip the multi vitamin, and try vegan vitamins according to what supplement you need.

I use Garden of Life Mykind organics
vegan multi vitamin, Whole Foods stocks it.

Yeah, if your doctor is vegan and they told you that your kidney problem was due to the vegan multivitamins, then maybe that is true.

It could be that particular vegan multi vitamin you chose, there are plenty of other brands out there.

If your not doing this under a vegan doctors supervision, then I would try
different vegan multi vitamins before making the judgment that it was in fact
the vegan multi vitamin that was the source of your health issue.

You can also skip the multi vitamin, and try vegan vitamins according to what supplement you need.

I use Garden of Life Mykind organics
vegan multi vitamin, Whole Foods stocks it.

That was exactly what they were. And there were about 10 tablets at the bottom of the glass jar that were badly broken.
20190729_193743.jpg

And I got them from Whole Foods too. They gave me a refund for them.

I haven't seen a doctor about supplements. Maybe I will.

That was back in July of last year.

Last edited:
Maybe I took one tablet too soon after taking my Synthroid pill.

I’ve been using them for a while with no problem. That some were broken at the bottom, guess that could happen, I’ve never experienced that, though that’s no big deal.

Yeah, as I said, there’s plenty of other brands out there. I don’t take anything besides vitamins, so I don’t know anything about combining medical drugs with vitamins.

Good luck.

so you answered your own question.

Back
Top Bottom