Poll Is David Bowie the most popular artist among Solo users (apart from Morrissey)?

Is David Bowie the most popular artist among Solo users (apart from Morrissey)?

• Total voters

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
David and love for David pop up in many a thread on this forum and it’s blatantly obvious that this man and his music mean a lot to a lot of people here. I would even say that he probably is the most beloved artist of all on Solo. Do you agree?

NO, I like old Morrissey better.
I do not consider Old Morrissey, Morrissey.
I think Morrissey died after Quarry.
If you noticed he changed dramatically in his face and shrunk. He can't write for shit but strangely he's a much better singer. Also the complete switch from sensitive artist to bully boy . I still like this imposter artist Morrissey more than Bowie

I am obviously doing a bit
If there are any Smiths day M fans left, I think Most of us in some way love Bowie cause we know he created Morrissey in many ways.
Also, its obvious he is probably one of the most intelligent acts very much an art artist.
My friend told me a story which is LOL
"There is a story , that a music journo was talking to Bowie about Robbie Williams, in the 90s Robbie was the biggest pop act in the UK, at that time.
Bowie said he had no time for Robbie calling him " cruise ship entertainer " (which let's be honest is perfect)
The funny part is, Bowie couldn't believe that Robbie was such a big artist, as he was so basic, crappy, not to mention didn't write his own songs (David heard the stories, he knew the stuff about Robbie writing his music was BS) and couldn't sing. There was no subversive element either. Robiie was very basic
He had no idea , how Robbie could sell so many records. This makes me laugh, as it was obvious why Robbie was big, like Jordan he was created managed and sold . A reality tv pop star just before reality TV. He also played to the huge mainstream, who was raised on Aussie soaps not books and films . Basically, the world was dumb as f*** and David had no idea , he still thought people were arty, and highminded and intelligent, like the music fans in the 60s, 70s and 80s." LOL I love that story.

NO, I like old Morrissey better.
I do not consider Old Morrissey, Morrissey.
I think Morrissey died after Quarry.
If you noticed he changed dramatically in his face and shrunk. He can't write for shit but strangely he's a much better singer. Also the complete switch from sensitive artist to bully boy . I still like this imposter artist Morrissey more than Bowie

I am obviously doing a bit
If there are any Smiths day M fans left, I think Most of us in some way love Bowie cause we know he created Morrissey in many ways.
Also, its obvious he is probably one of the most intelligent acts very much an art artist.
My friend told me a story which is LOL
"There is a story , that a music journo was talking to Bowie about Robbie Williams, in the 90s Robbie was the biggest pop act in the UK, at that time.
Bowie said he had no time for Robbie calling him " cruise ship entertainer " (which let's be honest is perfect)
The funny part is, Bowie couldn't believe that Robbie was such a big artist, as he was so basic, crappy, not to mention didn't write his own songs (David heard the stories, he knew the stuff about Robbie writing his music was BS) and couldn't sing. There was no subversive element either. Robiie was very basic
He had no idea , how Robbie could sell so many records. This makes me laugh, as it was obvious why Robbie was big, like Jordan he was created managed and sold . A reality tv pop star just before reality TV. He also played to the huge mainstream, who was raised on Aussie soaps not books and films . Basically, the world was dumb as f*** and David had no idea , he still thought people were arty, and highminded and intelligent, like the music fans in the 60s, 70s and 80s."

LOL I love that story.

Lol

Thanks Dirk. I love all the stories that your knowledgeable friends and people you know or friends of theirs tell you. You have so many.

(y)

Those who voted no, who would you say is the most beloved artist on Solo (apart from Moz)?

Iggy pop. Blondie. New York dolls.
For a start 😀
Much prefer the American punks.
I was talking more in general and overall. Bowie is not my favorite artist either, but it seems to me that he could be the most beloved artist on this forum. If it’s not him, who is it?

I was talking more in general and overall. Bowie is not my favorite artist either, but it seems to me that he could be the most beloved artist on this forum. If it’s not him, who is it?
Me.... the greatest poet
Of my generation 😎

For me, no. I have a lot of respect and appreciation for Bowie, but I was more influenced by those that came after namely The Smiths and Suede. Granted Bowie surely influenced those bands, but I didn't know it at the time. So I came to Bowie a bit later. If I was a 70's kid instead of an 80's kid, Bowie might have been my favorite artist.

Whether He is a favorite ( most popular ) artist it is hard to say, but for sure very respected and, next to Dylan, considered the most influential artist in the history of music.

I believe @Gregor Samsa is just going by the appreciative posts Bowie gets on this site from more than one member.
Kind of, yeah. He seems to be the one artist that gets the most love from the most users here. This is hardly scientific, though!

David and love for David pop up in many a thread on this forum and it’s blatantly obvious that this man and his music mean a lot to a lot of people here. I would even say that he probably is the most beloved artist of all on Solo. Do you agree?
I would say he is the most beloved artist of all time, anywhere.

Like Oscar Wilde he will be remembered for all time as being not just a giant in his field but someone we loved.

I wonder about David Bowie’s song about searching for water; if it’s about wanting to feel the urge to water fast.

Personally, I’m not the biggest Bowie fan, but I have an endless amount of respect for him and you can’t stress enough his influence on pop music and pop culture (not to mention alternative pop and rock music and culture, specifically). And Low is on my top 10 albums of all time any day of the week.

Those who voted no, who would you say is the most beloved artist on Solo (apart from Moz)?
The Cure, Suede, New Order, DM, R.E.M. and many others.
It would be more useful to put up a poll with 10 of these names including Bowie to see who is the most popular here.

Kind of, yeah. He seems to be the one artist that gets the most love from the most users here. This is hardly scientific, though!

I think people may be confusing their personal preference over what’s being shown in posts on this site.

If Bowie is or is not doesn’t matter to me. But I have noticed the general love for Bowie over the time I’ve been on this site from different members. Of course he has his critics when it comes to his behavior in the 70’s with groupies or interests in the occult and fascism.

Besides M, the second artist that gets mentioned most is of course Marr, were criticism outweighs the love.

Then Peter Hook/N Order will be brought up
by the usual suspect. And then Suede. Followed by an occasional mention of The Cure.

But that would just be a measure peoples second choice after Morrissey.

Rather than a measure of appreciative posts that an artist receives over time.
Maybe, but it would be a more useful way to answer this poll's question:

Is David Bowie the most popular artist among Solo users (apart from Morrissey)?​

I don't think Bowie would win such a poll. Top-5 maybe.

Maybe, but it would be a more useful way to answer this poll's question:

Is David Bowie the most popular artist among Solo users (apart from Morrissey)?​

I don't think Bowie would win such a poll. Top-5 maybe.

Yes if we were to judge just by the threads title, then you would definitely be correct.

But after reading Gregory’s first post …

‘David and love for David pop up in many a thread on this forum and it’s blatantly obvious that this man and his music mean a lot to a lot of people here. I would even say that he probably is the most beloved artist of all on Solo. Do you agree?’

I take it as an observation of appreciative posts on a single artist made by various members over a period of time. Which I don’t think a poll can really measure.

Yes if we were to judge just by the threads title, then you would definitely be correct.

But after reading Gregory’s first post …

‘David and love for David pop up in many a thread on this forum and it’s blatantly obvious that this man and his music mean a lot to a lot of people here. I would even say that he probably is the most beloved artist of all on Solo. Do you agree?’

I take it as an observation of appreciative posts on a single artist made by various members over a period of time. Which I don’t think a poll can really measure.
In that case I would go for R.E.M. being the obvious winner. The R.E.M-thread here has 5k replies, and counting.

I think people may be confusing their personal preference over what’s being shown in posts on this site.

If Bowie is or is not doesn’t matter to me. But I have noticed the general love for Bowie over the time I’ve been on this site from different members. Of course he has his critics when it comes to his behavior in the 70’s with groupies or interests in the occult and fascism.

Besides M, the second artist that gets mentioned most is of course Marr, were criticism outweighs the love.

Then Peter Hook/N Order will be brought up
by the usual suspect. And then Suede. Followed by an occasional mention of The Cure.
Peter Hook only ever mentioned by Surface ;)

Back
Top Bottom