is anyone taking antidepressant? :P

I also take Citalopram (10mg)
I have my good days and my bad days on them, but things are starting to get better

This is interesting

http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/82946/

I remember a thread about placebo effect of antidepressants, it seems to be really powerful

I call Dr. Jon Stoessl, a neuroscientist at the University of British Columbia (UBC) who is acknowledged as the foremost placebo expert in his field.

He thinks that placebos could be useful for addictions, but hasn't conducted experiments to prove it. He says "with Parkinson's disease or pain or depression, there can be a placebo factor of 40 to 80 per cent." In theory, this means that people who are in pain or are depressed only think they have pain or depression. The conditions are not "real" in the tangible sense -- rather they are perceived in the mind to be real.

Stoessl notes the placebo effect can skew experiments designed to test a drug's effects. "A large portion of patients ... respond to placebo, and they may respond with very large magnitude. So if you are testing something and you haven't tested it against a placebo, you haven't demonstrated any effect," he said.

e explains that scientists, when testing medications on patients, will give a portion of the patients the actual pill, and others a sugar pill. In placebo trials, many people respond to the sugar pill because it "has a physiological effect on pain." So if people take a pill and believe it's going to help them, more often than not it actually does because they believe it will regardless of what's in it.

Lidstone explains how placebo works. "The basic idea is that it all taps into the same circuits. The parts of the brain that responds to all addictive drugs, whether it be nicotine or alcohol or cocaine, act to create dopamine in the brain. What we are seeing is that patients who expect that they are going to get drugs and get placebo, they release dopamine in those same areas of the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter in the brain. It gets released, and you feel good. It's the drive that craves food, sex.

"Placebo is governed by expectation," she says. "Conceptually it's the same response, the same parts of the brain that are involved. If a person is going to get better, it has to be because your brain expects to get better .... When placebo is given, it's always given under the guise of a drug" she says. Or a laser beam, I think to myself.

"If a person has gone in expecting that the treatment is going to make you quit smoking ... that expectation is happening in the same part of the brain that is expecting to get reward from a drug. 'The history of medicine is the history of placebo,'" she says, quoting Raouel de la Fuentes.

I'm going to see a doctor soon, so who knows? I might end up on some sort of medication. =|
I really wouldn't doubt it a whole bunch.

and whenever I see placebo, I think of Stephen King's IT, and the story Mr.Keane tells about the ulcer patients and M&M's.

being depressed is the new being irish.

that is, mostly f***ing nonsense.

I'm going to see a doctor soon, so who knows? I might end up on some sort of medication

that's great news. good luck.

ive been on them for 5 years, bit of a shit for so long but they do help, i currently take duloxatine 60mg, helps with my moods best and supposdly to help my anxiety problems, goddam anxiety,i hate it!!!
hang on in there,i started out on citalopram and it was ok, not saying youll be on them as long as me as i do have other 'problems' but for now i hope they start to help soon.

Even if they don't have any medical benefit, the fact that they make your brain think you feel better is probably enough to justify their use.

Coiff.

been on Fluoxetine (prozac) for about a year now, do they work? well i'm still here.

You know what?
I really don't care if they're not real.
:)

that may sound silly, but it's true. I just don't care anymore. We'll see what happens.

Good luck, whatever happens

Last edited:
not, yet..i try to live without them..hard work..but i think i can handle it;)

I have been on nearly all of them (the SSRI's) and now I'm on Lexapro. I'm not doing cartwheels in public (or anywhere else) but I do feel a little less morose.

been on Fluoxetine (prozac) for about a year now, do they work? well i'm still here.

I started on Prozac when it first came out and had a marvelous change in my depression and felt great. I was on 20mgs. But then it stopped working and I was on 80mgs. (The highest theraputic dosage) I've been on them all except lithium, (no thank you) and Wellbutrin, and Nardil. I'm on Lexapro now and feel much better. Not the same as the Prozac but I don't feel as depressed and down.

Back
Top Bottom