Irvine, CA - Bren Events Center (Nov. 4, 2016) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / All You Need Is Me / Speedway / Istanbul / Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice / Because Of My Poor Education / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Kiss Me A Lot / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / The Bullfighter Dies / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / All The Lazy Dykes / What She Said / Ganglord / Meat Is Murder / Jack The Ripper / Good Looking Man About Town / Oboe Concerto // Judy Is A Punk

setlist provided by setlist.fm.

Last edited:
It's the brain washed moz fans who don't like thinking . Thick as f***s accept anythings . In no other place on earth , with anyone else would last night's gig be deemed OK let alone great .
The singer was bored , the audience was bored . His new songs arent that good .
I feel sorry for the fans who have come to accept this standard of gig . It's substandard . Christ I miss Smith's moz or 90s moz.
Everyone gets old but let's not make excuses this was lazy . Heartless . Lacking .

Who was the moz look alike with Rose ( footsies DJ)?

"In no other place on earth , with anyone else would last night's gig be deemed OK let alone great ."

There is something mysterious with this sentence.
With anyone else, of course it wouldn't, but this is Moz.
So I assume you were being annoyed but entertained as well.

Moz being bored is interesting and entertaining.
There is no other pop singer doing that.
For God sake, he did " Because Of My Poor Education ".
That is a seldom done song live.
It's like pearls before swines.
Maybe the moz-look-a-like was Moz acting as a moz-look-a-like? :eek:

It's rather enjoyable to read the reviews of those who got butt hurt because of the songs that were played.
This is Morrissey - do some research - it's like bitching about him canceling a show. That's what he does and the songs last night are great - some of us actually f***en love Oboe! What rock have you guys been hiding under? This isn't a DJ set playing all the favorites for you to dance to. Wasn't advertised as such so you only have yourself to blame.
I'm not vegan, nor do I subscribe to Morrisseys agenda on political or social topics - but I respect him as an artist.
This is what he has chosen to play, it's live, it's his art - not yours!!!
I often laugh when I see people wearing the same style clothes that was worn years ago at shows, but now I get it. Everyone is stuck in that period, not just fashion but in his catalog. Bitch all you want, this isn't U2, Cold Play, etc doing stadium tours to reach the masses.
For f***s sake - go catch the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, great show and they'll play what you have been told to like.

My only criticism of the show was that he didn't do enough mic cable whips and he didn't bring out his Kermit voice.

All the people bitching really are the, "let me speak to your manager" types. You won't die if things don't go your way, well maybe but not yet.

I have heard from more than several very long-time Moz fans today who went last night, and they all said that it was a really awful and disappointing show. These are people that love him and have followed entire tours in the 90s/early 00s, and the one comment that I keep hearing is "phoned it in." I am actually surprised to hear these comments coming from these people because to me that means it was really pretty disastrous. Maybe Moz has jet lag or something? Pretty shitty considering how amazing the show was the last time he played at this venue; complete pandemonium.

"These are people that love him and have followed entire tours in the 90s/early 00s, and the one comment that I keep hearing is "phoned it in."

What were they doing than in the meantime between early 00s and late 2016? Grow a pair?

The way you stated it seems like they wanted to go on the Moz nostalgia trip. And were very dissapointed, but it also seems like they were prepared to be dissapointed and enjoying it to say so.

By the way, what did YOU think of the show?
Don't hesitate, just state your OWN, PERSONAL opinion.
Don't be afraid, we're used to criticism, negative or not.
You think it was shitty? Why?

From the threads it seems that there was NO opening act? My wife and I strategic showed up at 9ish as the show started, planning on there being an opener. Can any of you devout Moz fans confirm? After reading so many critical reviews, I have my own, especially since I have seen him around 20 times over the years. The set list was definitely not that high energy, but the few "rockers" he played were fantastic, like Suedehead (nice opener!) and "What She Said"! My wife put things into perspective for me when I was expressing how bewildered I was about the setlist when she said, "I loved the songs he played because his voice sounded so good". This helped me realize that this selection of songs did really showcase his vocal talents, much more than a more "rocking" set could. With less noise, there was more voice! Some of my faves from the set, besides the ones mentioned above were "Paris", "Daddy's Voice", "Bullfighter", and "Far Off Places". The Ramones cover ("Judy is a Punk"?) for the encore was good, but even though it was a high energy song, that performance lacked dynamics and teeth in my opinion. I guess I fit in well here with my "critical" MOZ family! LOL. Venue was great and the sound quality on the floor was really good. As my wife said (She's 38 and new to our MOZ cult btw!), "it's great that he's so old, has such a big following without a record contract, and still has such a wonderful voice!" What else needs to be said? Croon on Moz! WE ADORE YOU!

You Mentioned the sound was good on the floor! How was the view from the standing floor? Was it packed or was there room to move around if you were towards the back? Going on the 9th but just dont know whether to buy floor tix or upper seating? Stoked to see him, the setlist sounds good to me! Thanks!!!

I have been to hundreds concert in my life and this is by far the worst concert I've ever seen!! Morrisey is extremely talented and has a ton of really good songs that his fans would love to hear.
So he opens with Suedehead and you think this is going to be great, then he proceeds to play one obscure song after another. All to get his political views across to everyone. Not to mention we had to endure the extremely graphic videos of animal and police brutality. What a selfish bastard, we pay are hard earned money to be entertained and he comes out on stage like he's running for office and puts all his fans through that shit!!!

Not to mention the 30 minute video prior to him coming out on stage was just a bunch of bullshit. He was probably backstage laughing while we had to put up with that ridiculous crap.

This is coming from a big fan of The Smiths and Morrisey. If you haven't bought tickets to this concert yet save your money as even the biggest fans will be disappointed with this debacle!

It truly seemed like Morrisey was just trying to purposely trying to put on the worst show he possibly could. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Complete waste of time and money, Morrisey you should be ashamed of yourself. You are a severely depressed human being who just wants to bring everyone else down with you.

You could have just as easily played 15 to 20 of you great songs and made everyone happy but you would rather play videos of animal cruelty and police brutality instead. I was at this concert with my buddy who is an LAPD officer who's risks his life daily to keep murderers off the streets of LA and make our streets safer to walk down. He was so offended by your video that he walked out of the concert during that video. I hope you read these comments Morrisey, so you can realize how offensive your political agenda is.

You should keep politics and entertainment separate, your fans want to hear your music period!

I'll never listen to one of your songs again! You should refund everyone's money because you ripped us all off!

I guess that somes up the worst concert of my life.
While ranting it helps if you can spell.

You could have just as easily played 15 to 20 of you great songs and made everyone happy but you would rather play videos of animal cruelty and police brutality instead. I was at this concert with my buddy who is an LAPD officer who's risks his life daily to keep murderers off the streets of LA and make our streets safer to walk down. He was so offended by your video that he walked out of the concert during that video. I hope you read these comments Morrisey, so you can realize how offensive your political agenda is.

He killed a policeman when he was thirteen
And somehow that really impressed me
It's written all over my face

"These are people that love him and have followed entire tours in the 90s/early 00s, and the one comment that I keep hearing is "phoned it in."

What were they doing than in the meantime between early 00s and late 2016? Grow a pair?

The way you stated it seems like they wanted to go on the Moz nostalgia trip. And were very dissapointed, but it also seems like they were prepared to be dissapointed and enjoying it to say so.

By the way, what did YOU think of the show?
Don't hesitate, just state your OWN, PERSONAL opinion.
Don't be afraid, we're used to criticism, negative or not.
You think it was shitty? Why?

I didn't go to the show. I'm nowhere near Irvine. I saw home more than several times last year, and some were okay, some were great.

And they have gone to shows between the early 2000s and now, just not EVERY ONE anymore. Maybe they did want to go onto a "Moz nostalgia trip," maybe they didn't? All I know is from seeing their posts all over social media yesterday and speaking to a few of them before the show, they were all genuinely excited. Afterwards, disappointed. I'm just stating what I heard from several long time fans that did go. Why is that so offensive to you?

I was in the upper area to the left, everyone was standing for a long while, but after several slower songs, I saw the complaining begin. People began to sit and stay seated until a song they liked came on. Saw several bewildered looks. I think they were unfamiliar with a lot of the more recent songs. That, and they were too busy eating shitty nachos and popcorn from the concession stand like they were at an AMC movie theater.

COLIN N.
This show was in stark contrast to Newcastle. The venue was seated and people were in their seats but as soon as Morrissey came out everyone stood up and that was the last of theirs seats usefulness. I could tell most people were unfamiliar with the recent songs but they seemed to still enjoy them immensely. No one was eating. Who eats food during a gig?

Mr Policeman

I don't know where you get such notions from

The setlist was identical to New Castle. Next time look closer. I'm sure tonight Boz - who actually writes up the setlist - will add HSIN and maybe Sunday. Those songs have all been played before. I went to all the palladium shows just so I can hear death of a disco dancer and it was only played twice of the five shows if I remember. That's typical - give the other songs a chance or not.
Judy is a Punk is the gem here, it's a cover and it's only been played a handful of times.
And all the songs you listed are, IMHO, the often played, overplayed symphonies.
Almost identical. He didn't play Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice at Newcastle.

Inspector - don't you know?
Don't you care?
Don't you know - about love?

This show was in stark contrast to Newcastle. The venue was seated and people were in their seats but as soon as Morrissey came out everyone stood up and that was the last of theirs seats usefulness. I could tell most people were unfamiliar with the recent songs but they seemed to still enjoy them immensely. No one was eating. Who eats food during a gig?

Me.
But only while I'm not attending. :)

And the police - they actually know me
They said :

"You're just another person in the world
You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on its head
By staying in bed !"

Lamenting policewomen policemen silly women taxmen,
Uniformed whores

This Message Is To All The Complaints About The SETLIST; You're all a bunch of whiney little bitches!

There's this new thing called Spotify, where you can go ahead and curate your very own "setlist" and listen at home by yourself. Morrissey is an artist, and the funny thing about making art is, you get the freedom of doing whatever you want and expressing yourself however you like at that very moment.

This isn't Burger King, its not" Have it your way" So just deal with it, shut up and go to sleep! -Master

You aren't the only one who was "truly disappointed"...

I have seen Morrissey several times and have been with him since the beginning. This was, by far, the worst show I've ever been to--and I've been to a lot of shows.

First and foremost, the set list was not good. The first song was "Suedehead"--my favorite--and that was easily the high point of the night. All downhill from there. (Which is why so many in the crowd decided to sit.)

Perhaps it was due to the fact that Moz's ipod/youtube selections were boring, or that the video screen was distracting, or the visuals were too damn morbid (the sad man pointing to his temple all night was not pleasant.) But this show seemed only to showcase Moz's bitterness and post-punk angst.

Is he upset that he has no record contract? Or that his novel flopped? Well I assure him that his fans don't care. We were there to enjoy his music. We also understand his politics, whether or not we agree with them.

That said, why does he insist to inflict so much trauma on us? Some of us need to escape scenes of violence, brutality--the ugliness of the world. So many of Morrissey's songs have helped us cope with a hateful world. So you are going to upset the people who paid $70 a ticket with videos of "our friends" being killed?

The sounds of cows and buzzsaws during "Meat is Murder" is the ultimate buzzkill. But I guess that's what comes with a Morrissey show. The least he can do is sing "Everyday is like Sunday" to lift our spirits again, right?

No.

Not even in an encore?

No.

The man plays a shitty Ramones cover and says "Ciao" like the pissy-pants diva he is.

To all of you who were there, you would have been surprised at the tepid applause and the number of fans leaving before the end of the show. The reaction after the show and just before the planned encore was most telling. The crowd did not seem to care whether or not he came back. This was in contrast to the very enthusiastic applause East LA's Mando Lopez and Boz got during their introductions.

I never thought I would leave a Morrissey show feeling like I got ripped off but if I could get a refund I would certainly ask for it.

Maybe I'm being too harsh? After all, we were given so many interesting opinions, such as:

[To the "electorate"] "After the election is over, you will not matter to them."
"Politics poisons everything."
"History if full of crashing bores" [pointing to an image that calls the royals "dumb"]
"Our songs have meaning...which is why we don't have a record contract." [spits on stage]

Or maybe, after 25 years, I have finally outgrown my Morrissey phase? Or maybe Morrissey has to grow the f*** up.

The crowd was awful. Setlist is nothing to brag about but, it shouldn't be a surprise. It's what he's been playing this entire tour.

The crowd was not to blame. Every single one of them was a Morrissey fan.

I was so excited to see Morrissey. Boy do I feel dumb because I HATED it tonight. I wanted to hear the songs we all remember and put j on the map. Tonight I dont know what the hell that was. We actually ended up leaving because we were so over his political view narcissistic attitude. Geez thank you for disappointing fans. Why else do you think the crowd wasn't into it. The beer line had more action. I understand he has views and opinions but I wasn't paying to have his shoved down my throat. Lastly buy a watch and respect your fans by being ON TIME.
So glad I didn't waste my money for floor level

Agreed.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom