Irish Times / Lauren Murphy: "Stephin Merritt: ‘Being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons’" (August 31, 2022)

0ae998c0e288594061aa73b258ff95549d378087.jpg

Stephin Merritt: ‘Being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons’

Excerpt:
“Well, the similarities between me and Morrissey are basically demographic,” he says, smiling. “I think just being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons. I’ve weirdly never been compared to Marc Almond, who I probably feel is closer, because I’m famous for my dirty jokes — as is Marc Almond.” He pauses. “I’ve always enjoyed Morrissey as a lyricist. I hope he can get his public image together again; he seems to have fallen down recently, in that regard. He needs to be nice to some children and dogs on national television, before he actually turns into WC Fields.”

Regards,
FWD.

Stephin Merrit?

Public image changes with the seasons and let’s say he’s not doing so badly in comparison to some sex pests. He has an opinion on religion and immigration and that’s how free speech in a healthy society works….. like it or lump it
why do you call him a sex pest?

Are you joking?
He has never been in the f***ing closet. Jesus that guy has had more dick than a roomful of Richards
The amount of men and boys that made their way around to Camden is legend. The fact M has managed to make so many people think he isn't even bi, is crazy and it shows how desperate people are to have their heros fit their own lives

I think some of you Britons have eaten so much Beef Wellington and Shepherd’s Pie that you must have mad cow disease at this point. You would have to be delusional not to recognize that the California Son has f*cked more sluts at the Sunset Marquis than probably even Axl Rose did. Morrissey f*cked Traci Lords in the early 90s after John Waters introduced them. For crying out loud.

So, you don't need a brain and intelligent well expressed opinions--- no you just 'need to be nice to some children and dogs on national television'.

ok
You're right. Morrissey should try having intelligent, well expressed opinions now...the other way isn't working so well for him.

Are you joking?
He has never been in the f***ing closet. Jesus that guy has had more dick than a roomful of Richards
The amount of men and boys that made their way around to Camden is legend. The fact M has managed to make so many people think he isn't even bi, is crazy and it shows how desperate people are to have their heros fit their own lives
It's true that he's never been in the closet but you don't half peddle some gossipy, low-brow crap - you're worse than David Bret. Morrissey has spent most of his career complaining endlessly about social and sexual inadequacy, didn't have a serious relationship until he was 35 and still talks about sex like an awkward, clumsy teenager even at 60+. "More dick than a roomful of Richards", I doubt it. He envies people who never had the hang-ups and issues that he did.

" I could've run loudly and proudly
All forcible entry
Morally bankrupt
And never non-violent
And drawn to what scares me
And scared of what bores me
Years alone will never be returned."

It's true that he's never been in the closet but you don't half peddle some gossipy, low-brow crap - you're worse than David Bret. Morrissey has spent most of his career complaining endlessly about social and sexual inadequacy, didn't have a serious relationship until he was 35 and still talks about sex like an awkward, clumsy teenager even at 60+. "More dick than a roomful of Richards", I doubt it. He envies people who never had the hang-ups and issues that he did.

All forcible entry
Morally bankrupt
And never non-violent
If Dirk was on my tail the way he’s on Morrissey’s, I’d pay him a full-time salary just to STFU with his incessant proclamations. And then I’d pay him twice more to STFU when he’s conjecturing.

However that’s three full time salaries he’ll never see because he’s actually not even worth the time it took me to type these three sentences - let alone a salary.

As for Merritt - well I was trying to leave the room and shut the door on my way out

BUT OH LOOK, NO I CAN’T because Stephin Merritt’s BIG FAT EGO is so overly inflated that OH LOOK the door doesn’t even close properly anymore :rolleyes:

If Dirk was on my tail the way he’s on Morrissey’s, I’d pay him a full-time salary just to STFU with his incessant proclamations. And then I’d pay him twice more to STFU when he’s conjecturing.

However that’s three full time salaries he’ll never see because he’s actually not even worth the time it took me to type these three sentences - let alone a salary.
Sometimes I do agree with Dirk but a lot of his posts are “I don’t mean it badly, but I’ve heard…” and the gist of it all is that Moz is an unhappy person with no real friends, his colleagues laugh at him, he drinks and has slept around, his Mum was his best friend but nobody else is that bothered about him etc, etc.

Even if all of that were true, it would be easy enough to surmise most of it without a jot of insider knowledge - Moz has written plenty about loneliness, depression and failed relationships. Most of us go through those things in life though, so why portray his struggles as some kind of ‘big reveal’? It's like having one of those friends who claims to be concerned about you but in reality is just sneering and stirring the pot.

Sometimes I do agree with Dirk but a lot of his posts are “I don’t mean it badly, but I’ve heard…” and the gist of it all is that Moz is an unhappy person with no real friends, his colleagues laugh at him, he drinks and has slept around, his Mum was his best friend but nobody else is that bothered about him etc, etc.

Even if all of that were true, it would be easy enough to surmise most of it without a jot of insider knowledge - Moz has written plenty about loneliness, depression and failed relationships. Most of us go through those things in life though, so why portray his struggles as some kind of ‘big reveal’? It's like having one of those friends who claims to be concerned about you but in reality is just sneering and stirring the pot.
Totally sneering with a side of gleeful wickedness. Leaves nothing on the menu to have for dessert except my eyerolls.

I find his basic, very superficial statement about girls questionable. What do they have to offer anyway? A clear positioning to the other side in his autobiography.

why do people like M and marc almond never go on about their sexuality whereas george michael started every sentence with,as a gay man.marc almonds manager has been with him for over 30 years and has never seen him with a man,hes camp as christmas but that doesnt mean hes gay.
M was going to have a child with tina,doesnt sound like a solely gay man to me,the gay community has been trying to reel M in for decades.

Of course the soft compliment has to be followed up by a dig at his political views. If you don't belong to the cult of "All immigration is perfection and diversity is our strength" then one must be maligned as a toxic person who does not blend well with the hive.

How thick is this guy? Morrissey has to be nice to children and dogs to somehow make up for all of his sins? You couldn't find a man who's nicer to animals or kids for that matter. What a strange quip.

Its a question of taste
He and his band are hugely influential. Some have said they are a "gay band" but this isn't the case in fact 90% of the people I know who like them are straight- from my friends to my son to my daughter
It’s a matter of lyrics and overall presentation. They’re quirky, cutesy and twee to the point where you wonder if Merritt is stuck in his prepubescent years or if he’s mentally disabled. It’s unbelievable that anyone over the age of 15 likes them.

How thick is this guy? Morrissey has to be nice to children and dogs to somehow make up for all of his sins? You couldn't find a man who's nicer to animals or kids for that matter. What a strange quip.
I think you’re taking it too literally…

I think some of you Britons have eaten so much Beef Wellington and Shepherd’s Pie that you must have mad cow disease at this point. You would have to be delusional not to recognize that the California Son has f*cked more sluts at the Sunset Marquis than probably even Axl Rose did. Morrissey f*cked Traci Lords in the early 90s after John Waters introduced them. For crying out loud.

From Pretty Girls Make Graves to Once Upon A Woman's Body, you obviously live in oblivion. Or you just have the habit of imagining things and/or trolling. No worries, mate

All forcible entry
Morally bankrupt
And never non-violent
Lol and you don't ?
You are on here nearly EVERYDAY trying to make people believe YOUR version of M.
Trying to make out he is lonely and isolated in LA, when really he has a nice network of friends and can often be found laughing and smiling in the pub- really you are just protecting your own shitty mentally ill little life- are you still trying to hit up KY for juice (as if she ever knew stuff )?

I was simply telling the truth that he has always been open about men .

And I was only sharing true nfo that has already been said on here
I rarely repeat any "secrets" about M .That haven't already been said on here .and I only mention stuff that I have heard or seen a few times myself .

I dom think I ever attack M or am nasty about him, not really i defend him 99% of the tine
I wasnt attacking him hete .
Saying M can be a bit slutty is hardly tabloid news info - you know he was active pre amd post Smiths
Amd dont come at me with make belive quotes from fake biography or one of M's myth buildimg interviews .

Sorry if M having a sex life conflicts with your own boring little life

Its true I can ramble the f*** on (Yestetday was a stressy day with my Son in the police statiom , not f***ing fun. Sorry readers )
You know that's the second BS little attack from you. You twisted my words to try and make out i was a racist . Hardly

Edit
When I said "men and boys " I didn't mean "under age " its a phrase
Like in the song by Raymond
"men and boys you bring them home "

Last edited:
It’s a matter of lyrics and overall presentation. They’re quirky, cutesy and twee to the point where you wonder if Merritt is stuck in his prepubescent years or if he’s mentally disabled. It’s unbelievable that anyone over the age of 15 likes them.
No I get you mate. Its just hard hearing someone talk about childish lyrics from a Morrissey fan page .
As the years have gone on you must have noticed you have to turn off judgment more and more with M?
In fact being a semi well balanced 56 year old male makes listening to m solo an act of reality suspension.
He's still super brilliant though .

From Pretty Girls Make Graves to Once Upon A Woman's Body, you obviously live in oblivion. Or you just have the habit of imagining things and/or trolling. No worries, mate

I suppose it's a form of trolling. That Morrissey is wholly untroubled, and passes his days playing basketball, eating potato tacos with "extra guac," and f*cking random California girls and the occasional starlet and hip-hop diva (and Los Angeles' 7th District councilwoman Monica Rodriguez, for that matter) is a theory put forward by some on this forum. It may seem outrageous, but it's no more outrageous than Dirk Blaggard's claim that Morrissey "has had more dick than a roomful of Richards" and that "the amount of men and boys that made their way around to Camden is legend." Where is the evidence for any of this, except for Dirk ostensibly having his ear to the ground?

Last edited:
Well, I'm available to be nice to on national television, if that's really necessary. :rolleyes:

That'd be a first...no, two firsts actually...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom