Irish Times / Lauren Murphy: "Stephin Merritt: ‘Being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons’" (August 31, 2022)

0ae998c0e288594061aa73b258ff95549d378087.jpg

Stephin Merritt: ‘Being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons’

Excerpt:
“Well, the similarities between me and Morrissey are basically demographic,” he says, smiling. “I think just being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons. I’ve weirdly never been compared to Marc Almond, who I probably feel is closer, because I’m famous for my dirty jokes — as is Marc Almond.” He pauses. “I’ve always enjoyed Morrissey as a lyricist. I hope he can get his public image together again; he seems to have fallen down recently, in that regard. He needs to be nice to some children and dogs on national television, before he actually turns into WC Fields.”

Regards,
FWD.

The Irish Times allows 3 articles to be read before gating/nagging.
If you can't view the story, use this link.
FWD.

Worse fates than delivering lines like "Once, on a trek through Afghanistan, we lost our corkscrew... and were compelled to live on food and water for several days" or the unsubstantiated "I never drink water because fish f*** in it"... That and The Magnetic Fields are bloody awful.

The Magnetic Fields make music for children. Or so one would think when listening to anyone of their albums.

who he,never heard of him.nice bit of encouragement at the end.

Stephin Merrit?

Public image changes with the seasons and let’s say he’s not doing so badly in comparison to some careers or some frontmen/sex pests. He has an opinion on religion and immigration and that’s how free speech in a healthy society works….. like it or lump it. Edited.

Last edited:
Yet more bs with people name dropping Moz without fully understanding anything. Are we all fully defined by sexual preferences, is that all we are? God it's so bloody boring. The W.C.Fields mention is funny though. From US Radio when he was jibed about his drinking problem:

Bergen: "Why, Bill, I thought you didn't like children."

Fields: "Oh, not at all, Edgar, I love children. I can remember when, with my own little unsteady legs, I toddled from room to room ..."

McCarthy: "When was that, last night?"

So, you don't need a brain and intelligent well expressed opinions--- no you just 'need to be nice to some children and dogs on national television'.

ok

View attachment 83732

Stephin Merritt: ‘Being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons’

Excerpt:
“Well, the similarities between me and Morrissey are basically demographic,” he says, smiling. “I think just being a gay person who writes lyrics is enough to invite Morrissey comparisons. I’ve weirdly never been compared to Marc Almond, who I probably feel is closer, because I’m famous for my dirty jokes — as is Marc Almond.” He pauses. “I’ve always enjoyed Morrissey as a lyricist. I hope he can get his public image together again; he seems to have fallen down recently, in that regard. He needs to be nice to some children and dogs on national television, before he actually turns into WC Fields.”

Regards,
FWD.
That was very well said
I and I expect M would welcome praise from this guy, who is easily One of America's greatest music writers

If Morrissey was going to come out of the closet he'd have done it by now. It's never going to happen.

The Magnetic Fields make music for children. Or so one would think when listening to anyone of their albums.
Its a question of taste
He and his band are hugely influential. Some have said they are a "gay band" but this isn't the case in fact 90% of the people I know who like them are straight- from my friends to my son to my daughter

Last edited:
If Morrissey was going to come out of the closet he'd have done it by now. It's never going to happen.
Are you joking?
He has never been in the f***ing closet. Jesus that guy has had more dick than a roomful of Richards
The amount of men and boys that made their way around to Camden is legend. The fact M has managed to make so many people think he isn't even bi, is crazy and it shows how desperate people are to have their heros fit their own lives

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom