Irish Examiner: Morrissey is selling his mother's holiday home in Ireland (February 17, 2023)

Morrissey is selling his mother's beautiful holiday home in Cobh, County Cork.

The 2,523 square foot house 'The Manse' is listed for €575,000. Morrissey bought it for his mother in 2002.

The article in The Irish Examiner is written by Catherine Shanahan who seems to be a fan or has researched Moz well.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/residential/arid-41073314.html

full

full

I wonder if Moz is building up some cash to self-release his new album(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
2002 - Wasn't this around the time Mike Joyce was trying to get what Morrissey owed him and put some kind of legal injunction on his mother's Manchester house? Guessing Moz invested some of his Smiths royalties in Ireland instead, where Joyce couldn't get it?

An artist who is resident in Ireland can claim an exemption on income tax up to €50,000 per annum for an individual piece of work.

I’m baffled by the price. I mean it’s terribly dated and in need of upgrades but I’m shocked at the price. $600k in Arizona gets you a nice 3-4 bedroom house, but you’ll be sandwiched between neighbors and no fancy view. Can anyone tell me why this home with incredible views and yard is so cheap?

I can absolutely picture Morrissey laying in the acuzzi bath, writing a song while looking out at the harbour. I'm sure he spent time in this vacation home just as often as his mother did.

I’m baffled by the price. I mean it’s terribly dated and in need of upgrades but I’m shocked at the price. $600k in Arizona gets you a nice 3-4 bedroom house, but you’ll be sandwiched between neighbors and no fancy view. Can anyone tell me why this home with incredible views and yard is so cheap?
Cobham is quite remote as regards to work and the price is substantial for rural Ireland.

Cobham is quite remote as regards to work and the price is substantial for rural Ireland.
It is relatively remote, especially for work but could be nice for an IT worker who has the OK to work from home. I drove by that house last summer and of course didn't know Moz owned it. I'd say he owns a lot of properties.

It is relatively remote, especially for work but could be nice for an IT worker who has the OK to work from home. I drove by that house last summer and of course didn't know Moz owned it. I'd say he owns a lot of properties.
I agree it's a fine house.I was in Cobh 20 years ago,it's a lovely part of the country. My family are from Tipperary.

That's my impression too; under-priced for a unique property in relatively great shape. The market has been slowing down but I reckon that'll fetch quite a bit more than the guide amount.

A poignant transaction, presumably. Wasn't Morrissey a good son?

It'd be lovely if the council or a hotelier bought it, to repurpose for arts events or guest accommodation so the public had access. As Acton said, the writer has done a very good job of selling the many beautiful features. The pond caught my eye..

Cobh is a good-sized town, population 13,000 or so, and was the last port of call for the Titanic, about which there's a museum.

That's my impression too; under-priced for a unique property in relatively great shape. The market has been slowing down but I reckon that'll fetch quite a bit more than the guide amount.

A poignant transaction, presumably. Wasn't Morrissey a good son?

It'd be lovely if the council or a hotelier bought it, to repurpose for arts events or guest accommodation so the public had access. As Acton said, the writer has done a very good job of selling the many beautiful features. The pond caught my eye..

Cobh is a good-sized town, population 13,000 or so, and was the last port of call for the Titanic, about which there's a museum.

And easy access by boat to the beautiful but heartbreakingly sad Spike Island, a prison for 400 years starting with Cromwell's prisoners.

"After they had laid low their armies, in Spike Island they imprisoned thousands, without food or drink or beds".

I visited Spike Island from Cobh last summer. I'm listening to the vinyl 'Somewhere In Time' by John Barry and it's hard not to feel emotional. Elizabeth Dwyer is somewhere in time too now, as we all will be.

https://www.spikeislandcork.ie/island-timeline/

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom