Iranian votes/protests

sistasheila

tjekket
discuss....

There were probably 100,000 of them preaching death to the UK, US and Israel at that rally. I think we should bomb them.

Historically there has been interference by Western governments in Iran.
The Revolution was intended to do away with that, Iran governed by Iranians for Iranians. But it looks like the people are contending with disillusionment.

It's difficult to know what's really going on there.

I think our CIA should go in and assassinate all the religious leaders from that country

They are evil c***s anyway, so killing them can only help the people of Iran <3

From my understanding, it seems that there is an inter-establishment fight for power at the presidential level, which is becoming quite separate from the mass protests. Although both presidential candidates represent limited change within the dominant government system in Iran, mass protest has the possible ability to destabilise the whole regime. But what happens in the wake of that, as in 1979, may not be a better outcome than the current status quo. Western intervention, at this stage, would probably rally Iranians back towards the current Iranian leadership and dissipate any protest.

There were probably 100,000 of them preaching death to the UK, US and Israel at that rally. I think we should bomb them.

This is either a poor attempt at levity, or you're just advertising you're ignorance.

This is either a poor attempt at levity, or you're just advertising you're ignorance.

God I hate Americans sometimes.

The irony is you probably will do it eventually.

Your.

I don't really know how I feel about this. In one way, it's really impressive that people keep going out on the streets, despite facing the possibility of getting killed. On the other hand, I don't understand how they can care so passionately about that cause. The other candidate is really not that different from the current president, it seems kind of bizarre to risk your life for such a minor superficial change.

Really good article here.

I don't really know how I feel about this. In one way, it's really impressive that people keep going out on the streets, despite facing the possibility of getting killed. On the other hand, I don't understand how they can care so passionately about that cause. The other candidate is really not that different from the current president, it seems kind of bizarre to risk your life for such a minor superficial change.

Really good article here.

But the protests have gathered steam because the agenda is not so narrow as just supporting Mousavi anymore. From the reports I've read lately, things have snowballed since the police have started to crack down on protesters. People with a whole bunch of different grievances are out on the streets. Where it will is the $64,000 question.

But the protests have gathered steam because the agenda is not so narrow as just supporting Mousavi anymore. From the reports I've read lately, things have snowballed since the police have started to crack down on protesters. People with a whole bunch of different grievances are out on the streets. Where it will is the $64,000 question.

But, the vast majority of the protestors are religious, so the new regime will still be as oppressive as the old one.

I've been tweeting about it for the past two days.

:(

Free Iran.

But, the vast majority of the protestors are religious, so the new regime will still be as oppressive as the old one.

That assumes that the only factor influencing Iranian politics is religion. I know it's passe, but what about class? Just because the people are religious, it doesn't mean that they will inherently choose a theocracy.

On The Streets I Ran..

Morrissey the prophet strikes again (joke)

Back
Top Bottom