Invisible Illness Awareness Week

K

KenzieW

Hello everyone! I know it has been a while since I have posted on here. I had a rough summer, and I got diagnosed with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) two weeks ago. I started taking a new medication last week for my POTS and I am hoping things will get better soon. I have missed everyone on here, and I hope you guys have been doing well. Anyway, this week is Invisible Illness Awareness Week and I wanted to spread the word. To find out more about Invisible Illness Awareness Week or show your support go to: http://invisibleillnessweek.com/category/articles/

Also, if you have a chronic illness feel free to talk about it in this thread. :)

And to tie this in with Morrissey:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back!

fetch.gif

I hope your medicine has you feeling much better soon. Hang in there. :)

Hello everyone! I know it has been a while since I have posted on here. I had a rough summer, and I got diagnosed with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) two weeks ago. I started taking a new medication last week for my POTS and I am hoping things will get better soon. I have missed everyone on here, and I hope you guys have been doing well. Anyway, this week is Invisible Illness Awareness Week and I wanted to spread the word. To find out more about Invisible Illness Awareness Week or show your support go to: http://invisibleillnessweek.com/category/articles/

Also, if you have a chronic illness feel free to talk about it in this thread. :)

Hey...I have an AV node malformation that causes tachycadia (supraventricular) and POTS is the catalyst for the arrythmias. It isn't severe, it seems like maybe your case might be debilitating. My heart only sets off 2 or 3 times a year, once it was 200 BPM for about 12 hours, nothing would stop it. It only took about 10 Halter monitors as a child to figure out the problem, then they attempted an ablation of the extra node in my heart that sets them off, they stuck a catheter up through my groin into my heart and tried to lazer the extra node, but it was too close to my natural pacemaker and the doctor feared if he cut it, I'd be stuck living with an artificial pacemaker, so he decided not to and said, "I promise you, you will not die from a POTS-induced arrythmia. You're more likely to die by hitting your head if you pass out, you'll live to be a normal old age." There's drugs I can take if it acts up but I've learned how to bare down and stop the arrythmia by meditating so I don't have to take the drugs which kinda through you for a loop for about a day. Anyway, if your doctor recommended an exploratory catheter to induce the tachycardia and possible ablation (if you have an AV node malformation) then I can't recommend enough how EASY the procedure is. Sure it's technically heart surgery, put it's not like they're cutting you open. If you have any questions I am no stranger to heart problems. :thumb:

Also not to harp on this but I remember you saying you're in LA? I'm not sure how your insurance works, but the doctor who FINALLY diagnosed the problem and gave me peace of mind and taught me how to live with it was Dr. Castellano out of Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara. Awesome man, not pretentious, sweetest staff ever, I used to bring them sourdough bread from San Luis. Anyway, SB isn't that far from LA, if you're not loving your doctor I can't recommend him enough, he's sharp and low-key.

Remember when Morrissey passed out on stage? I remember thinking, "He just had tachycardia." He had that look. The last time I passed out I was in a Target. :p And the time before that I was in Vegas. All the other times were at home, when I'm feeling it, I just sit back down, I don't try to test it or ride it out. Keep our head safe, that;s the first thing that pops in my head, get my head to the ground.

Look at me all manic posting on your illness thread. :p "There's another fainter out there! Yay!" :highfive:

I've had so many ECG's done in my life I bet you a dollar I could hook that shit up to myself by myself. :D You know what else you have to not do? Jumping. Jumping gets me everytime. And sometimes bike riding if I've had caffeine. I bet your doc said no more caffeine, huh? That'll last a while. :D

Hi KenzieW it's great to have you back, and I have a shocking ingrowing toe nail left foot.

Kenzie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !111!!!!!!!111!11!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can thoroughly enjoy this song! :D

I'm glad to see you're posting again; I wondered what the hell happened to you.

I'm really sorry to hear about your illness. I wish you the best. Take good care of yourself and KEEP POSTING!

Thank you everyone for the nice posts and the friendly welcome back. :)

And CrystalGeezer, thank you for all of the information you shared. It means a lot. (And I know it sounds kind of silly, but it is nice to know that there are other people that kind of go through the same thing as me.) I first got "sick" in October of 2009, and I have off and on been sick since then. I had to see a lot of doctors before I was finally diagnosed, and that was kind of frustrating, but at least I know now, and most of the doctors I am seeing right now are really nice. For some reason since April of this year I have just been feeling like poo a lot. If you go to the wikipedia page for POTS I have all of the symptoms except vomiting and fainting. (Although there have been a few times since I first got sick where I have felt like I almost did either of those things.) I do remember when Morrissey passed out on stage, because that was when I first got sick and I kept feeling dizzy and weak and like I needed to sit down. My parents were teasing me that Morrissey and I had the same mystery illness.:p

And just to let you guys know, you probably will only be seeing me on here about every 2-5 weeks. Life is just really hectic, because I am dealing with the health stuff, I started 11th grade this month which is crazy difficult and very time consuming, and I am trying to make time to get out of the house to make friends, so yeah...just really busy. But you got to make a little time for slacking and chatting on the internet every once in a while. :thumb:

Thank you everyone for the nice posts and the friendly welcome back. :)

And CrystalGeezer, thank you for all of the information you shared. It means a lot. (And I know it sounds kind of silly, but it is nice to know that there are other people that kind of go through the same thing as me.) I first got "sick" in October of 2009, and I have off and on been sick since then. I had to see a lot of doctors before I was finally diagnosed, and that was kind of frustrating, but at least I know now, and most of the doctors I am seeing right now are really nice. For some reason since April of this year I have just been feeling like poo a lot. If you go to the wikipedia page for POTS I have all of the symptoms except vomiting and fainting. (Although there have been a few times since I first got sick where I have felt like I almost did either of those things.) I do remember when Morrissey passed out on stage, because that was when I first got sick and I kept feeling dizzy and weak and like I needed to sit down. My parents were teasing me that Morrissey and I had the same mystery illness.:p

And just to let you guys know, you probably will only be seeing me on here about every 2-5 weeks. Life is just really hectic, because I am dealing with the health stuff, I started 11th grade this month which is crazy difficult and very time consuming, and I am trying to make time to get out of the house to make friends, so yeah...just really busy. But you got to make a little time for slacking and chatting on the internet every once in a while. :thumb:
Thanks for the messages.
I think your posts are possibly the most worth reading on here

An excellent idea for a thread.

I 'returned' to this site in response to the astonishing ignorance displayed about agoraphobia on the thread about Jemma Pixie Higson's version of 'Asleep', first delegated to an 'alter' 'Wayne Rooney', before the whole 'BrummieBoy' crew piled in. You might wanna read it and reflect on the 'support' offered on this thread by one particularly egregious prat in this ya intarweb forums commoonity....

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/content/847-Jemma-Pixie-Hixon-covers-Asleep#comments

It's a serious topic. We've had some uplift of consciousness here in the UK with regard to visible physical disabilities as a result of The Paralympics but I'm not sure how long that will last. Of course, if you've been in bed for years with M.E then walking down to the kitchen is an Olympic achievement. A 'mentalist Olympics' would also be fun with pole vaulting for vertigo sufferers, marathon for agoraphobics and contact martial arts for PTSD war veterans, etc.

We have a sinister thing happening here where a foreign corporation, ATOS, have been brought in by the UK government to 'redefine' illness so that even terminal cancer sufferers are being deemed 'fit to work', never mind those with 'imaginary invisible illness'. I kid you not: it's a total 'arbeit mach frei' situation. We've bailed out the banksters so everyone else has to pay, some maybe with their lives. I have a real feeling that the next big Occupy/Anonymous flashpoint in the UK could be based around bringing ATOS crashing down to the ground: not that I'm percolating an insurrection meme or anything! Honest, gov! etc.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2...ms-disability-assessment-regime?newsfeed=true

I've a 'dog in this race': I was a victim of Tarantino-esque violent crime and became totally agoraphobic as a result. Looking back it's hard to understand how I got in quite such a mess with PTSD, booze, prescription drugs. It was like being in a mash-up of Memento & Inception. Totally changed my life. I got a shed load of compensation and I'm near enough retired now so don't really need to give a fc-uk on a personal level, unless the whole financial system comes crashing down. But one of my sister's is disabled and she faces haters every time she pops out for fags. Thanks for that, Walliams. Thanks for 'Andy the fake wheelchair DLA claimant'. Your comedy really improved life for folk like my sister who have to deal with the real 'Little Britain'. Not everyone is an uber-faux-gay-'stray' who can swim the Thames for charidee! Your riposte to Frankie Boyle's mermaid taunt rang hollow, mt8....Shame on Morrissey for letting you, Ross and Brand wind us all up at The Roundhouse...

Mind you, Morrissey's got a few 'issues' with regard to visible disability, NSAM etc: even if his younger incarnation was pretty cool with the whole invisible 'Still Ill' depressive stuff. Hardly Leonard Cohen, but good nonetheless.

I also tested positive for Lyme Disease which explained that a lot of the 'depression' and cognitive weirdness had nothing to do with the psychological PTSD-violent crime shit, but was the result of spending too much time in shorts on Dartmoor. I don't risk baring my skin to ticks outdoors in the UK anymore. Lyme's related disease is scary stuff.

I admire Joni Mitchell's involvement in raising the profile of Morgellons:

http://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=2472

I was dismissed as a 'nutcase' for a while. I was lucky in that it ended with a show trial and 23 years in jail for the perpetrator so there was no real doubt why my psyche has been 'troubled' by events. Some of the Jury were still having 'counselling' two years after the trial as they were so traumatized by the details. But not everyone who's 'still ill' has such a compelling and satisfying denouement. Invisible illness trashed my life, trashed my family: and if we didn't have the NHS here, I'd almost certainly have ended up bankrupt and homeless to fund all the tests, treatments and therapy that got the show back on the road. It's good to be well again. Good to have 'revenge/justice'..... whatever. But it makes me seriously angry when people dismiss folk as malingerers or fantasists just because they don't understand the context and the aetiology of the illness. The biosociophysical model really makes sense to me now as an explanation for years of illness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopsychosocial_model

@KenzieW. Good luck with POTS. Hope you find continuing relief even if a complete cure eludes you. It took me years to get better but there was a specific trigger of violent crime that triggered my 'downward spiral' which makes it easier in retrospect. It must be a real pain in the pisser to have your life put on 'pause/interrupt' by an illness that either isn't recognized, is hard to diagnose, or where the cause is considered controversial or 'imaginary'.

regards (and soon 'goodbye):straightface:
'BrummieBoy': The Fisher-King-of the B.C.F.C Zulus

@CG Good luck to you as well! Through Jane Siberry, The Universe extends to you 'An Invitation To Be Well'. Our BrummieGurl goddess Sharon 'Malvinha Druidica' McCormick reviewed the 'music healing process' here:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/janesiberry8

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jane-siberry/the-music-diaries_b_1093847.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom