Introducing Morrissey vs. Live in Dallas

H

Harsh Truth

Which one of these live concert releases do you guys prefer? I like "Introducing Morrissey" better. Its got a more professional production (with all the different camera angles, crazy light show, etc...) plus I like the selection of songs better. I love the 'Your Arsenal', 'Vauxhall' and 'Boxers' era.

Don't get me wrong: "Live In Dallas" is good and has some great songs that are absent from "Introducing Morrissey," but if I were stuck on a desert island, I'd want "Introducing Morrissey" over "Live In Dallas."

What do you guys think?

Give me Introducing Morrissey any day. It's worth it just for the ending when 'Will Never Marry' is playing. *goosebumps*

I agree. The manic energy of "Live in Dallas" is great, and Moz looks amazing...but there's not much filmmaking skill in that production other than purely capturing the event. I think the opening of "Introducing Morrissey", the cinematography, editing, and the coda with all the stage-divers and fans, elevates it beyond the excellent songs and into a great film in its own right. It seems as if the work of James O'Brien is a continuation of the spirit of Tim Broad's videos.

As a side note, "The Malady Lingers On" (the cover pic being one of my favourite live shots of Morrissey) contains the video for "Certain People I Know", which isn't on any other compilation (including the Oye Esteban DVD). The 3-track Japanese video release "Sing Your Life" is the only official release of the "Our Frank" video. It's tough to find a reasonably priced copy, even here in Japan! Picked up a copy here about four years ago for a paltry 500 yen.

xox

> Which one of these live concert releases do you guys prefer? I like
> "Introducing Morrissey" better. Its got a more professional
> production (with all the different camera angles, crazy light show,
> etc...) plus I like the selection of songs better. I love the 'Your
> Arsenal', 'Vauxhall' and 'Boxers' era.

See, I don't like the professional production in concert videos! I much prefer just a couple cameras showing me the whole stage, with maybe an occasional flash of the audience here and there. ANd, okay, maybe occasional close-ups of band members so long as thet're not too often. I don't like when they try and turn it into a music video, or if the director is trying to assert him/herself too much with his/her technique. I want it to be as close to me actually being in the audience as possible, and I want to be able to look at the whole band through most of it.

This is a beef I have when music acts appear on TV shows too. The camera people should quit trying to make things so slick and just let me watch the performance as the studio audience is seeing it. In fact, sometimes they do camera tricks so that it doesn't even seem live anymore, but literally like an MTV video. God I hate that.

So I take it you prefer Live In Dallas?? :)

> See, I don't like the professional production in concert videos! I much
> prefer just a couple cameras showing me the whole stage, with maybe an
> occasional flash of the audience here and there. ANd, okay, maybe
> occasional close-ups of band members so long as thet're not too often. I
> don't like when they try and turn it into a music video, or if the
> director is trying to assert him/herself too much with his/her technique.
> I want it to be as close to me actually being in the audience as possible,
> and I want to be able to look at the whole band through most of it.

> This is a beef I have when music acts appear on TV shows too. The camera
> people should quit trying to make things so slick and just let me watch
> the performance as the studio audience is seeing it. In fact, sometimes
> they do camera tricks so that it doesn't even seem live anymore, but
> literally like an MTV video. God I hate that.

> So I take it you prefer Live In Dallas?? :)

Yes, Iprefer "Live in Dallas." Except for that big fat ugly bouncer standing there at the end.

That's a tough call; but I do like the whole rockabilly thing, and I like the Kill Uncle stuff, so 'Dallas' gets my vote. But I love 'Introducing' as well.

Back
Top Bottom