Intro music on the tour - Imperfect List...and some other comments

The Seeker of Good Songs

This is my note from the Stockton show...

Prior to Kristeen Young coming on stage I was checking the merchandise table so didn't hear it all but some country/western style music was playing, then when I went in a Rockabilly type song played with the lyric "Jungle, Jungle...Jungle Rock..."and another with lyrics "Push In Push out....walk walk walk walk..."

A song that sounded something like Dead Can Dance or This Mortal Coil, but wasn't them...soft voice, organ music...

And two songs by Klaus Nomi.
I went in and out a couple time so didn't hear it all.

Surprisingly to me, there were a large amount of children at the show with parents. At least 5 different kids ages 4, I'd say to maybe 8.
One kid complained that her earplugs were hurting her ears.
Another was a small boy who was who came in sleeping on his dad's shoulder and the dad propped him in his own seat, wrapping him in a towel.
There were two children, boy an girl aged 6 or so on parent's shoulders during the show.

I am a parent, but just thought it odd to bring kids that young to a show. My son said he wanted to go, but I know that he'd be totally disinterested once he'd be there and it'd b way too loud for him. And expensive too...minimum $80 after venue fees for a ticket for a child to sleep in.

Kristeen Young's set.
He drummer sure gets a work out. during a pause after a few songs he was breathing hard.

Her voice at times does have a Kate Bush sound, but that is the only reference to her I'd ever make.

Her lyrics were very difficult to make out, and even when she spoke between songs, I couldn't understand her.
Some people were yelling "Morrissey" between her songs and she seemed to be annoyed at that. There appeared to me, to be only two people that were into her music, two girls, they were dancing to beats in their seats, but one of them appeared to be quite drunk.
When people would yell "Morrissey" between he songs, she would yell back, "Shut the F**k up!"
Kristeen played 10 or 11 songs...seemed like a lot for an opening act.

After she went off, a video projection played, in lieu of music before Morrissey came on.

The first segment was on some Spanish language music video..an old one from the 60's or 70's. Then a concert clip of the New York Dolls from, again some Spanish language TV program from the 70's.

Then some odd clip of a woman singing "The twelve days of Christmas" it seemed like an amateur hour type thing, but think it was an act to appear that way...the singer seemed to get drunk as the song progressed.

Then a clip of some black and white British film or tv show..of 3 men in a room, and a scuffle about the older guys luggage.

The a clip of Bridgette Bardeau performing Bubble Gum, I believe. It starts with her getting out of an old Rolls Royce.

Then a video clip of a wardrobe/screen test of James Dean and another actor. It is for the film East of Eden. It is silent. The guys are just wearing different clothes and turning around for the camera, presumably for the director to decide which wardrobe selection looks best or for lighting,etc.

Then a clip of the New York Dolls guy again, Poindexter or whatever his real name is, I forget right now, an old clip of apparently homemade footage of him lighting up a Marijuana cigarette as he called it, but then some one off camera say t is only a Turkish Tobacco cigarette.

After that, the screen goes down (or up depending on the venue), the lights go out and "Imperfect List" comes on. When that ends, the show begins.

Oh, at the Stockton show, I found it curious, that after Kristeen was done and before Morrissey started, or was it before Kristeen started, I forget, staff of the venue, walked up and down the aisle, circling the venue, spraying some aerosol cans, air freshener, I guess, but I didn't notice any fragrance. I thought it odd.

Last edited:
Wow, that's very odd about the guys walking the aisles spraying something.

Flight attendants on international flights used to spray aerosol cans of disinfectant, but they were made to stop I believe - because it was later found to be a health hazard.

I've no idea if that's what the staff at the gig were doing, I'm just throwing an idea out there.

Video clips are exactly the same as last December's European tour:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=65355

I'm not sure about intro music, but might be the same?

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=66885

:)

The New York Dolls video is the one.
Si by gigliola cinquetti was not played.

The others liste have been removed by YouTube, so I can't say.

Of the songs, I don't think so, because there is no Klaus Nomi songs listed, and I know two Nomi songs were played at Stockton. At Sparks I enetered near the end of Kristeen Youngs set, so I'm not sure what as played there.

I'm curious about the Spanish language '70s videos he played for his intro... I might know some of that... But definitively is not the same video list of the shows in december.

Has he really gone back to The Imperfect List, that surprises me, as that was from a completely different tour?
I'm also surprised that he has stuck with the video footage before he comes out, I went to most of the UK pre-Christmas shows last year and the whole thing became annoying after seeing it the first 3 times!!
I guess it's new to most US fans seeing it for the first time, it'll be interesting to hear from anyone who saw the UK/Europe shows at the end of last year to compare.

There are two new viddy clips for intermission in addition to the usual set-up (the clip with Cinquetti and the back-up singers wearing dresses made from curtains at the Eurovision contest is gone). I described them on the post-show page of Stockton.

One clip (before Lipsynka's 12 Daze of Xmess) is this effeminate guy singing and dancing with a woman in a ballerina costume. He starts out by sitting on her lap. At one point he's got her head in a vise-grip between his knees and walks around with her head stuck there while she's forced to follow him on all fours.

Then there's a clip of these English men arguing over a bag. Here's a snippet of it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0K56LL78

Cool, did you go to the Europe shows too then?
Still unsure about The Imperfect list!

Cool, did you go to the Europe shows too then?!

Yes, I went to several shows in the UK during the spring and all the shows in Europe/UK starting from Luxembourg in December.

By Feb. I was bored of the intermission. Even though it's not that bad and it has Claude Brasseur in it, I dislike seeing the one for "Bubblegum" because I hate looking at that rightwing racist Brigitte Bardot's gat-toothed mug with her pallid make-up job, and she really cannot sing.

In Sparks, the intermission viddy was the best because instead of a flimsy, wavy white "curtain" for the backdrop, there was a taut, opaque projection screen. It was smaller, but the picture quality was superb.

Still unsure about The Imperfect list!

What do you mean? Do you mean you can't decide if you like it or not?

Ok... what was the timing? What time did KY go on, end her set, how long was intermission, and what time did Moz go on? Oh, and what was the published start time (on your ticket?)

Ok... what was the timing? What time did KY go on, end her set, how long was intermission, and what time did Moz go on? Oh, and what was the published start time (on your ticket?)

Ticket start time was 8PM. She tarted on time. she played 10-11 songs, so I'm guessing she was near 45 mins to an hour. Intermission was 15 mins I think.

Didn't have a time piece with me to know exacts.

What the Seeker said...

It depends on the show. Some days it starts on time, some days it doesn't.

Since the first two shows (the ones I attended so far on the Greatest Hits tour) were seated, I skipped KY's set. So I can't tell you about those times.

Generally, doors at 7 pm, KY on at 8 pm, intermission from 8:45-9:20. Moz comes on around 9:20 or 9:30ish. Show is over about an hour and 20 min. later. By the time I find my way out, it is around 11 pm. Sometimes doors is as early as 6 pm. Then they just play the cd of music (lots of repeats from previous tours) twice or however long it needs to be to fill up the time before KY.

In Stockton, intermission ran overtime. They uncharacteristically had to stop the videos for a while when setting up the equipment.

Ticket start time was 8PM. She tarted on time. she played 10-11 songs, so I'm guessing she was near 45 mins to an hour. Intermission was 15 mins I think.

Didn't have a time piece with me to know exacts.

10-11 songs??? thats ridiculous for an opening act. Infact, thats just plain torture. Most fans are already gonna be waiting for hours to see Morrissey and then have to wait ANOTHER hour to get through the opening act? thats dumb.

i wish to know the name of the song & artist of the first clip where the singer is in different countries. its been stuck in my head since sparks & i've been referring to it as the 'ouza ouza' song. haha :D

before the sparks show 'do they owe us a living' by crass & 'frozen warnings' by nico were played along with the two nomi songs.

Mel Torment, are you doing the whole US tour??

No, life is a four-letter word.
Work is a four-letter word.

As for the question about the multilingual opening viddy during intermission, I'm given to understand that it's Sasha Distel (as a young man, obviously).

One clip (before Lipsynka's 12 Daze of Xmess) is this effeminate guy singing and dancing with a woman in a ballerina costume. He starts out by sitting on her lap. At one point he's got her head in a vise-grip between his knees and walks around with her head stuck there while she's forced to follow him on all fours.

The song apparently is called 'I'm the Boy You Should Say Yes To' - googling suggests this may be a young Anthony Newly? Yes? No?

Back
Top Bottom