Interpol's drummer, Sam Fogarino, mentioned their opening for Morrissey in Q&A - Austin Monthly Magazine (April 26, 2022)

Interpol’s drummer, Sam Fogarino, mentioned their opening for Morrissey during 2019 in a recent Austin Monthly Q&A. He has really kind words for Moz’s band!

It’s been nearly three years since Interpol played live. What was your last show before the world changed?​

The last show pre-pandemic was in November of 2019. I believe it was the Hollywood Bowl. It was opening for Morrissey, which was a bizarre experience.

What was Morrissey like?​

He had his own way of operating, but I will say, aside from his bizarre opinions in life, he can lay it down. He did some really cool classic ’60s covers that kind of thrust me back to childhood. And just hearing some reinterpretations of Smith songs that were very—as opposed to this claustrophobic indie rock thing—these were really conveyed in such a way that you’d never think you’d hear. His band is incredible. I’d jam with anyone of these guys. They’re just so… they come from the same background as you; there’s so much empathy for what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, this person says nicer things about Morrissey’s band membres than the majority ever does here.

The headline of this thread should read "mentioned they're opening for Morrissey..." not "their opening..."

If one mentions their opening then one better be "wide to receive".
'their (experience) opening for Morrissey. It's used very commonly. Your suggestion would be either "they are" or "they were" and would be misleading. Maybe "when they opened" or just "they opened" would be good but the way it's written is commonly understood.

Whether or not Morrissey's opinions seem bizarre, I think it would be difficult to look at a complete list of everything he's ever publicly said and not find a few ideas you might think are strange. Maybe you could. But it's allowed for other people to have opinions on Morrissey's opinions and overall he's saying very complimentary things. It's not as if it was a Billy Bragg interview.
Don't worry about someone disagreeing with Morrissey or anyone else. That is a part of the isolated cultish nature of what his fandom has become.
It's like a sinking ship but half they people you talk to will tell you things have never been better.

Morrissey's opinions are referred to as bizarre because it's just accepted sheep mentality to never question the practice of immigration or point out any problems that may arise due to its uncontrolled nature.

He simply said that he has his own way of operating.... which is somehow confirmed by mostly every producer who worked with Morrissey, that his ways do not follow the standard ways and they were surprised and sometimes puzzled until they got what he wanted.

And then he mentioned "his bizarre opinions in life"... I think Morrissey himself would actually agree with the idea that he has "bizarre opinions in life"... and sometimes paradoxical.
You got focused on immigration: well... don't forget that Morrissey has been absolutely open about his opinions about controlling the immigration that Donald Trump had and very often he shares and promotes the ideas of the far left (his absolute rejection of controlling the immigration that Trump had, his admiration for James Baldwin, his ongoing rejection of wars) and, yes, of course, we have the famous "for Britain" pin, but on the next day you may find him with a Malcolm X pin.... and nobody who has been following him is even slightly surprised.
I would say that he has indeed "bizarre opinions", but I think he would be the first one to agree.

A lot of artists follow a clear political agenda and have an ideology that is very easy to identify. Morrissey is not like that and sometimes it is hard to follow his agenda (if there is one).

He simply said that he has his own way of operating.... which is somehow confirmed by mostly every producer who worked with Morrissey, that his ways do not follow the standard ways and they were surprised and sometimes puzzled until they got what he wanted.

And then he mentioned "his bizarre opinions in life"... I think Morrissey himself would actually agree with the idea that he has "bizarre opinions in life"... and sometimes paradoxical.
You got focused on immigration: well... don't forget that Morrissey has been absolutely open about his opinions about controlling the immigration that Donald Trump had and very often he shares and promotes the ideas of the far left (his absolute rejection of controlling the immigration that Trump had, his admiration for James Baldwin, his ongoing rejection of wars) and, yes, of course, we have the famous "for Britain" pin, but on the next day you may find him with a Malcolm X pin.... and nobody who has been following him is even slightly surprised.
I would say that he has indeed "bizarre opinions", but I think he would be the first one to agree.

A lot of artists follow a clear political agenda and have an ideology that is very easy to identify. Morrissey is not like that and sometimes it is hard to follow his agenda (if there is one).

No, Morrissey hasn't said anything even close to Donald Trump's immigration policy.

In fact he made it clear that he doesn't like Draconian policies or complete chaos - which is current mainstream left-wing thinking.

With all my heart I urge people to vote against George Bush. Jon Stewart would be ideal, but John Kerry is the logical and sane move. It does not need to be said yet again, but Bush has single-handedly turned the United States into the most neurotic and terror-obsessed country on the planet. For non-Americans, the United States is suddenly not a very nice place to visit because US immigration officers – under the rules of Bush – now conduct themselves with all the charm and unanswerable indignation of Hitler’s SS. Please bring sanity and intelligence back to the United States. Don’t forget to vote. Vote for John Kerry and get rid of George Bush! (Morrissey, True to You, 28th? October 2004)

Morrissey's opinions are referred to as bizarre because it's just accepted sheep mentality to never question the practice of immigration or point out any problems that may arise due to its uncontrolled nature.

Now it is just the norm to be a bad detective, to never speak up, never do any research or investigation and follow the herd. If we've learned anything from Covid hysteria we have to at least acknowledge that the norm needs to be questioned. I am just sickened as to just how lazy people can be when it comes to speaking one's mind.

None of these people who accuse Morrissey and his ilk as far right ever qualify their own opinion on immigration whatsoever. They just flash their business card titled Refer to the herd.

Being well liked must really be priority numero uno for most people.
Nope. Many people have spoken up continually on here against his views and his endorsement of a political party that endorses Holocaust deniers. Has nothing to do with following a herd. That is lazy commentary.

Nope. Many people have spoken up continually on here against his views and his endorsement of a political party that endorses Holocaust deniers. Has nothing to do with following a herd. That is lazy commentary.
Has everything to do with falling for headlines written by cynically lazy journalists.

Has everything to do with falling for headlines written by cynically lazy journalists.
Well not really.

I didn’t need any headlines to listen to Morrissey’s own words on his own page nor headlines to see him walking around with a car right political party badge on him.

The assumption that people have made their decisions about him just because of the media is lazy and nonsense. I don’t read newspapers. My judgement was based on his own words and not from any media platform.

The media didn’t make up his outspoken support for a revolting party who support Holocaust deniers and have links to extreme far right identity groups in Europe.

I didn’t get any of that from the media so please stop making ridiculous false statements about people’s ability to make their own judgements.

I have never followed nor do I trust media outlets.

Back
Top Bottom