Interlude Test Pressing

roky

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm sure that this has been explained before, but why are there so few Morrissey test pressings?

With 4 hours to go, it's at £127 - too rich for me. Especially as it's one of my least favourite Moz songs.

Dave

I'm sure that this has been explained before, but why are there so few Morrissey test pressings?

With 4 hours to go, it's at £127 - too rich for me. Especially as it's one of my least favourite Moz songs.

Dave

In the 80's white labels were often given out as promos. Many Smiths "test pressings" are really just white label promos given to press, buyers, radio, etc. In the 90's/00's test pressings are really just used to literally test the stampers and make sure the vinyl sounds proper while CD-r's are used as promos. That's why only 10 or so exist - a few went to the artist/management and a few to the label folks.

A slight warning: I used to own an Interlude 7" tp and it had a silver label, not a white paper label. I'm not saying this one is a fake, but... be careful.

Stephane

I'll second that Stephane, mine has a silver pressed label too. Hope the buyer checked the source thoroughly.
I was just thinking the white label promo 7 could have been the test press for the new reissue while the silver pressed label could have been for the original issue. However the seller said he had it for 15 years...very puzzling. Any matrix run offs to differentiate??

Mine just has the original Parlophone cat no R6365 A-1-1 on the run off. Definitely a pressed silver label as Stephane mentioned though.

I picked this up. It's legit and not the reissue. A bit of back and forth from the seller and I learned it was from a different pressing plant from EMI's main supplier. Anyone in NYC can come check it out sometime.

I picked this up. It's legit and not the reissue. A bit of back and forth from the seller and I learned it was from a different pressing plant from EMI's main supplier. Anyone in NYC can come check it out sometime.

Hmmm I've heard his reasons and I would not be so sure.

First of all because Interlude was pressed in low numbers (as was previous single HOTYF), so I don't think they needed two pressing plants to meet the demands.

Second of all because not one single white label tp was reported to me in 16 years and all of a sudden I hear of three different people getting copies.

I'm not saying the person is lying, but I'm just saying we have no definite proof that this is legit just because the seller says it is. And the odds of this not being legit are greater than those being the real thing.

General warning to collectors: beware of any plain paper label tp entering the market from now on. It's really easy to press that kind of thing and I do know that someone out there, and perhaps others, are in the business of creating fake collectibles.

Stephane

Fair enough Stephane - if you are ever in NYC look me up and check it out. I've also pressed vinyl myself from time to time over the past 15 years and it looks good to me.

There was more back and forth with the seller than what I forwarded to Flavio.

And also it wouldn't be totally crazy for 3 to turn up suddenly - when I worked at Capitol I had a box of something quite rare that I saved from the bin when it was found out there was a mistake in the manufacture that I am saving for a rainy day to sell. If there was a similar situation (someone snagged a few of something way back when and is only now needing cash and unloading them) it wouldn't be that unusal.

if it's the UK version the 7 & 12" were definitely only pressed with the silver label and in very small quantities (single figures).

Can't vouch for any possible overseas test pressings so hopefully taht's what it is.

Back
Top Bottom