Interesting possible connection

In the absence of the second ("unavailable") video, let me guess...Roy's Keen?

never seem a keener window cleaner.

It’s a well-known fact that Moz is a Formby fan.

George Formby is a fairly obvious Morrissey influence, but given his love of Carry On-style smut I expect 1974's 'Confessions of a Window Cleaner' to be an equally strong influence on 'Roy's Keen'.

Ha! That’s fantastic. I don’t remember that.

now you got me doubting. So I did a little googling and found that it was actually George Formby’s father’s headstone, I always thought it was George Formby’s headstone! And now I’m wondering if it was ever intended for the front(?) possibly just for the back(?) Well in the end only the clouds were used.

Maybe FWD will chime in with the correct info on this. I don’t have my copy of Peepholism here, Jo may have given some info on that.

And why did he want to use a photo of George’s father’s headstone anyway?

I recognize this isn’t a general thread on ‘Roy’s Keen’, but I have always thought that was one of Moz’s worst lyrical attempt. How it made it on an LP is beyond me. I would have taken a 7 year break had I included that lyrical abomination on an LP.

Even though I love the man and what he has done for my life, I still have the right to be a little critical.

There is no additional info in Peepholism regarding the cropped Formby grave shot, but it's ncie to see the full image (which I can't find online).

Regarding lyrics, 'Roy's Keen' is fine to me for what it is - a whimsical, throwaway bit of nonsense. I don't think every song needs to be lyrically heavy or have great depth, and in fact it adds some variety to the album to have something more deliberately lightweight. Same reason I'm happy with bits of fluff like 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' - I wouldn't want a whole album of such shallowness, but they have their place.

Yeah, how dare he write a bad lyric!

Especially when considering all of the unique and amazing lyrics that he has written that have brought so much joy to so many all these years.
Of course he’s allowed to write bad lyrics now and then. That’s probably not what Senior meant. But surely we as fans are also allowed to point out lyrics we dislike when discussing the song in question? Senior was also quick to point out his/her love for Moz.

I myself love Roy’s Keen both lyrically and musically. Very underrated!

now you got me doubting. So I did a little googling and found that it was actually George Formby’s father’s headstone, I always thought it was George Formby’s headstone! And now I’m wondering if it was ever intended for the front(?) possibly just for the back(?) Well in the end only the clouds were used.

Maybe FWD will chime in with the correct info on this. I don’t have my copy of Peepholism here, Jo may have given some info on that.

Still doesn’t ring a bell! But I love the fact, though. It’s super weird and would’ve made a great (back) cover.

The reverse cover of Viva Hate has a sky photograph so clouds. It’s taken from a a photograph of one of Formby’s old houses.

I happen to know that Formby moved quite a bit, as a distant relation of mine lived in one of his former houses. I speak in past tense as they’re probably long gone now.

I misremembered that didn’t I? Kind of at least. Not a house so much, as his final home. His grave!

As pointed out, the grave was Formby senior. Stuff I’ve remembered , then forgot!

Of course he’s allowed to write bad lyrics now and then. That’s probably not what Senior meant. But surely we as fans are also allowed to point out lyrics we dislike when discussing the song in question? Senior was also quick to point out his/her love for Moz.

I myself love Roy’s Keen both lyrically and musically. Very underrated!

I understand. I just don’t find it that important enough to criticize when one takes in his whole body of work. The greatness outweighs.

There is no additional info in Peepholism regarding the cropped Formby grave shot, but it's ncie to see the full image (which I can't find online).
thanks.
Regarding lyrics, 'Roy's Keen' is fine to me for what it is - a whimsical, throwaway bit of nonsense. I don't think everysong needs to be lyrically heavy or have great depth, and in fact it adds some variety to the album to have something more deliberately lightweight. Same reason I'm happy with bits of fluff like 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' - I wouldn't want a whole album of such shallowness, but they have their place.

Yin Yang, yo. (y)

It's both Formby's headstones, just the image is taken at an angle that hides the son:

5565@2x.jpg

(Warrington Cemetery, Cheshire)

I thought the clouds/Corbijn photo from the image in Peepholism being Viva Hate's back cover was well known.
As for why & wherefores... - no idea.
Regards,
FWD.

Thanks FWD. But do you know if the headstone was originally intended for the front or back cover?
Not something I'd heard myself.
Given the iconography on most products going forward was Morrissey-image themed, it would have been an odd move unless he featured in the shot somewhere.
Regards,
FWD.

Not something I'd heard myself.
Given the iconography on most products going forward was Morrissey-image themed, it would have been an odd move unless he featured in the shot somewhere.
Regards,
FWD.

I thought I read somewhere that it was intended, then he changed his mind because
it was too Smiths-like, or maybe this was someone’s conclusion that I read and not a reliable source.

It seems I’m not the only one that has read this ….

Maybe we both read the same misinformation somewhere.

I recognize this isn’t a general thread on ‘Roy’s Keen’, but I have always thought that was one of Moz’s worst lyrical attempt. How it made it on an LP is beyond me. I would have taken a 7 year break had I included that lyrical abomination on an LP.

Even though I love the man and what he has done for my life, I still have the right to be a little critical.
On the other hand, I have always liked it .
Such an English song and its more Adventures of a window cleaner than carry on but they are all connected.
Its better than most of Dog on a chain

On the other hand, I have always liked it .
Such an English song and its more Adventures of a window cleaner than carry on but they are all connected.
Its better than most of Dog on a chain
The melody is good. Some of the lyrics just seem forced. Maybe I miss something being from the states.

Be well,

Back
Top Bottom