Interesting Brett Anderson interview January 2016

everydayslikesunday

Hello

My Suede post appears to have been archived which is annoying, so I've started this one instead.

I guess some of you would have already seen this, but I only stumbled across it yesterday and thought it was quite an interesting read:

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rank-your-records-suede-brett-anderson

I guess no revelations, but it was interesting to read his views on the albums. I actually agree with almost everything he says, Head Music should/could have been brilliant if they had scrapped half the tracks and replaced them with some of the b-sides. Plus he is right about Sci-Fi Lullabies, the second half is not in the same league as the first (although still great tracks they pale slightly compared to the brilliance of the b-sides from the first two albums).

My only disagreement was having Bloodsports higher placed than the first album, but that is just my opinion.

I still think he's to hard on a new morning . As they stand now id take anm over hm. Anm might not have the highs in spots that hm does but overall it's a better listen I think. With the bside swap hes talking about for a new morning it'd be great. I really like positivity and don't, as a fan of the time might, have any weird feelings about it. Sounds good to me but I don't have so much the identity attachment to the group that fans of the time seemed to. Lonely girls is a fav of mine and I really like beautiful loser myself. Take out the terrible streetlife and one hit to the body as well imo untitled and add you belong to me Simon and oceans and I would've been pretty pleased. Maybe switch instant sunshine for lost in tv. Both are good songs but I prefer instant sunshine more and it fits the theme better imo an they're to close in sound to both be on the same record. As much as he likes it and or reasons I fully get comming up is the one that hasn't aged as well for me. It's the songs subject matter though as it still sounds amazing and uptempo. Super well written and produced. Still hate Saturday night though. Might be my least favorite suede song

There does seem a lot of dislike for Saturday Night which I can't personally understand.

As they stand, A New Morning is a better album because it flows quite nicely whereas Head Music is a mess which as a shame.

There does seem a lot of dislike for Saturday Night which I can't personally understand.

As they stand, A New Morning is a better album because it flows quite nicely whereas Head Music is a mess which as a shame.

Saturday night is just cheesy to me and I really dislike the tune. Feels lazy and cheap to name check a few other songs I like. Especially cheap. The oh whatever makes he happy bit causese to cringe . Suede song quality at times is of course up and down but I usually have an affinity to a even the so so songs but Saturday night just gets to me. I'll even pleasantly hum along to street life or feel and be fine. As to a new morning and head music I still enjoy both albums a lot even as is. I was really happy for them when bloodsport dis well and it's a great suede album. I don't know about better than the butler years but it's just as good as comming up I not better. I've a large soft spot for butler in general. They're both immensely talented and just made good music together sometimes in spite of themselves. I love the tears album and compare it to bloodsport a lot. Sometimes I think the real sweet spot of the post butler years lies in the b sides. They were so focused on reinvention that I think they buried a lot of good songs that would have been great album additions . Young men is a song I can't fathom not being on comming up. Same with jumble sale mums and another no one but I can't help feeling that they were considered to much in the old suede mold. Why wasn't let go on an album or cheap. Blows my mind. Sorry for the ramble bug I've a lot of thoughts on suede which don't always condense well on the fly

Back
Top Bottom