Intention of Deluxe Edition songs on WPINOYB ?

roguerebellions

I remember reading an interview with Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream saying that he was forced to add extra songs on the deluxe version of the album Beautiful Future because they just needed something, anything to make it 'deluxe' and then when the single Can't Go Back came out the deluxe edition songs were the b-sides!

So my question is this: are the extra songs on WPINOYB intended to be the b-sides for singles that were scrapped (now that the contract is over)? Will there be b-sides for the proposed singles that are being released as 7" vinyl? I hope news of this "french mix" for the single doesn't mean that it is simply seven seconds shorter or something dreadful like that.

I believe the idea was 'let them (the fans) keep their money in their pockets and spend it on the album' in a desire to get the album to the highest possible chart positions, preferably #1 in the U.K. To me, this was affirmed by the sheer combination of bundles that were available, including one option with a signed Autobiography (I think that bundle was $150 and included the works, CD, vinyl, poster, lyric sheets, etc., etc.) It is also possible that 2 singles were planned with 3 b-sides (those 6 songs on the deluxe) but then scrapped. Still, that does not preclude a deluxe edition, but like Quarry, if there was going to be physical singles, it would not have made sense to offer them on a deluxe edition before those singles were physically available, but rather after every song relating to "World Peace..." had been released. With the right amount of promotion, and I mean a lot, I believe the album only needed one strong single with 3 b-sides to propel it to #1 in the U.K. - that would have meant 21 songs total, and not 18. But like Chickpea said on another thread, I believe, in relation to Morrissey signing with a minor label "what the hell do I know?" I would love to get Multi's take on this.

I don't know what the reasoning was, but personally, I'm a traditionalist with these things. I would greatly prefer to see ONE version of an album (LP/CD/digital) with singles and b-sides containing the songs that were recorded but didn't make it onto the album. I don't really understand the whole "deluxe edition" approach to marketing, honestly—does it really generate more sales (in terms of copies sold/charts OR increased profit margins) in the long run? If you make the singles really appealing with quality packaging and unheard songs, they'll sell. Maybe only to a select group, but if they're good quality, the price point can be higher than standard. Maybe include a voucher for people who bought all of the singles for a collectable display box to put them in. If physical formats are going to survive, listeners need incentive to not download—the tangible objects have to be special. We know that consumers don't value musicians or authors as much when they don't have a physical object to hold, and that disconnect filters up to the publisher/label, who in turn make less of an investment in promoting their artists. All of these factors play off of each other.

Anyway, I know I sound like I'm 150 years old, but I think all of these deluxe editions (especially when they're only available through a single retailer!) and bundles and such just create a confused marketplace and lead to consumers feeling like they're being taken advantage of. Simplify everything and make a beautiful product, and you've got a happy Morrissey fan. (This one, at least.)

Yeah, I really don’t get the whole deluxe thing either, to be honest. If anything, you’d think they’d do like they did with Quarry, as BG mentioned. Put out the standard and then, a few months later do a deluxe with the b-sides. I’m happy with having 18 new Morrissey songs, but I do feel like lately I just listen to the album as a 12 song piece, mainly because a lot of times it’s on the vinyl.

It's frustrating but I can see why Morrissey is upset with the record label. The record was promoted as far as I can see bus stop ads and online banners) but these weird promotional videos released did nothing to showcase the songs and the one "single" that was released for record stay day did nothing as to breathe new life to the record. None of the "singles" had b-sides or special artwork. Nothing is done.

When deluxe only costs $3 more for 6 extra songs it doesn't make much sense. 50c per song is hardly deluxe.

I bought the deluxe version but I think 18 songs was just too much to take in all at once and it kind of ruined being able to judge it as a stand alone 12 track album in the first instance but instead I kind of associate all the other tracks with the album as well and for that reason they come across as lacking. If however I had discovered them as b sides or as abonus cd later down the line it might have been different.

To be honest the whole way this album has been handled though has been a farce right from the start. It almost does not feel like a proper album to me.

I can definitely appreciate more songs especially of the caliber and quality of songs like Scandinavia, One of Our Own, and Forgive Someone. I just think it would have been best if they were used as the b-sides to proper physical singles as an incentive to have them chart higher. Alas, this was not the case.

I can definitely appreciate more songs especially of the caliber and quality of songs like Scandinavia, One of Our Own, and Forgive Someone. I just think it would have been best if they were used as the b-sides to proper physical singles as an incentive to have them chart higher. Alas, this was not the case.

They are three of the worst songs of morrisseys career. See the rest of WPINOYB for 15 more

As I posted yesterday, July 2014 was a bad month for new quality members. Seems like we just got sludge with very few exceptions.

Back
Top Bottom