Morrissey Central (Instagram) Morrissey comments re: Your Arsenal 30th (July 28, 2022)

Screenshot_20220728-144021~2.png

Update:
Now a Central post.
FWD.

I don’t have strong feelings for this. And listening to this is comparable to the same pleasure you get from listening to The Smiths?
Interesting. Not saying it’s bad at all, it’s a little better than most of the crap out there today.

I'd agree with that. A fair counterpoint to the Moz statement. Craig certainly writes from a unique place.

I like Patrick Stickles a lot too. Probably a better alternative as Patrick is mid 30's and Craig is in his 50's now.

'Modern' suggests young(ish) doesn't it?

I guess it does. But Scott Walker was in his 60’s and mid 70’s when he was making music that was way more modern, unique, and exciting than any of these so called ‘emerging brilliant songwriters’ these days.

He's done, isn't he.

A tired quote built only to say "Dont forget tts the 30th anniversary of my lp"

Pop music doesn't mean as much to people these days , as life has m0re to offer people.

The reason lots grow out of their music phase is people get in relationships , travel get more in their lives.

The one's that don't are like transporters talking about owning a rate copy as if it makes them interesting

England was great for music as it had nothing else if you were poor

It's true the charts are shit but there is loads 9f good jew music out there.

I feel sorry for M.

He's done, isn't he.

Pop music doesn't mean as much to people these days , as life has m0re to offer people.

The reason lots grow out of their music phase is people get in relationships , travel get more in their lives.

The one's that don't are like transporters talking about owning a rate copy as if it makes them interesting

I feel sorry for M.
Steve has a lot to say. I will make him think.

He's done, isn't he.

I feel sorry for M.
What is 'good jew music'?

Who are the good Jewish musicians these days?

The Jews aren't coughing up another Dylan, and the Gentiles are not producing another Lennon. Phil Spector went out in a blaze of insanity. Genius is on its way out.

Imagine-John-Yoko-Collectors-Edition-100dpi-PDF-210618_Page_070.jpg

Who are the good Jewish musicians these days?

The Jews aren't coughing up another Dylan, and the Gentiles are not producing another Lennon. Phil Spector went out in a blaze of insanity. Genius is on its way out.

Imagine-John-Yoko-Collectors-Edition-100dpi-PDF-210618_Page_070.jpg

Yep, genius IS on its WAY OUT.

Why do so many refuse to accept this.

I'd agree with that. A fair counterpoint to the Moz statement. Craig certainly writes from a unique place.

I like Patrick Stickles a lot too. Probably a better alternative as Patrick is mid 30's and Craig is in his 50's now. 'Modern' suggests young(ish) doesn't it?

Not sure what Moz meant by modern.
Adrianne Lenker is pretty good to.

Does it count as modern say something like the new Thom York Smile project that came out somewhat recently? It’s a new release but he’ s also an artist now in his 50’s, who began his career pre streaming services.

From another thread, but relevant:

Alain & Gary's comments yesterday.

View attachment 83214View attachment 83215
FWD.

Well Morrissey, Your Arsenal really is your greatest lp record. Others come close, Vauxhall and I and Viva Hate are great too, but Your Arsenal just sings out loud, LISTEN TO THIS !
Music today, if your able to even call it music, is three notches down the charts from awful, abysmal and utterly annoying noise with meaningless lyrics and all put through a noise processing machine. Those who spout it out, can’t name a one of ‘em and thankful not to even waste time with it.
The Smiths, R.E.M., Simple Minds, MORRISSEY, Echo and the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Men at Work, Wang Chung, Flock of Seagulls, even TheCure are true music that lives on today and will go on forever. We were blessed in more ways than one to hear M.T.V. play 80s music and even most 90s music was great. Some can say others were great as well, but take away that short list mentioned and 80s music would be sorely lacking.
Real Music ended somewhere around the time of the Killers, who were make no mistake a great group. You continued on MORRISSEY with You Are The Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors and more…..so continued writing, continue making great music, continued successes and “wherever you are, I hope your singing now.”

Well Morrissey, Your Arsenal really is your greatest lp record. Others come close, Vauxhall and I and Viva Hate are great too, but Your Arsenal just sings out loud, LISTEN TO THIS !
Music today, if your able to even call it music, is three notches down the charts from awful, abysmal and utterly annoying noise with meaningless lyrics and all put through a noise processing machine. Those who spout it out, can’t name a one of ‘em and thankful not to even waste time with it.
The Smiths, R.E.M., Simple Minds, MORRISSEY, Echo and the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Men at Work, Wang Chung, Flock of Seagulls, even TheCure are true music that lives on today and will go on forever. We were blessed in more ways than one to hear M.T.V. play 80s music and even most 90s music was great. Some can say others were great as well, but take away that short list mentioned and 80s music would be sorely lacking.
Real Music ended somewhere around the time of the Killers, who were make no mistake a great group. You continued on MORRISSEY with You Are The Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors and more…..so continued writing, continue making great music, continued successes and “wherever you are, I hope your singing now.”
What exactly do you mean?

He's done, isn't he.

I feel sorry for M.
Pop music doesn't mean as much to people these days...
Too true. Does anything? We are fed on a diet of junk. Not just literally, but metaphorically. The outcome of the Wagatha Christie trial was the lead story on the mainstream news in the UK the other day. The mental equivalent of being force-fed KFC and McDonalds. The young are now hooked on their smartphones. Like rats in a Skinnerian experiment, those algorithms have us all hooked and hypnotised.

Your Arsenal was / is a great album. Vauxhall inhabits a universe several (thousand) echelons higher.
I wouldn’t say thousands higher. I’ve always enjoyed both releases about equally. They are both filled with a killer no filler style tracklist. Arsenal hits a little harder with its more glam inspired biting guitars, where Vauxhall tends to lean towards a softer groove featuring a bit more acoustics. Vauxhall might outshine it a little bit but not by thousands. I’m also one that puts you are the quarry right up there with these two releases.

I tend to think M can still turn all this around.
Although I was vocal about his song BOT , I do not think its a bad song
The singing is great, the music is nice enough. As I mentioned I agree with his basic assertion
That its awful what happened, and these charity events and limp meaning slogans are empty
I simply thought he was miss directed. His attitude toward families of victims was patronizing

To me, it's another song like I Am Not A Dog On A Chain, where I again agree but it's again
misdirected, as he just comes over like one of those old men who sit at the bar and chirps " I just say it how I see it, nothing wrong with calling a spad and spad, what's wrong with calling 'em wogs don't mean I'm racist "
He just comes over too bitter, too "woe is me" . Which is s shame. As he is brilliant and hes done so much to be proud of

How I see it he can either take less money and hope a label will take him or self-release
If he did that and then did some interviews like select pod casts and maybe a live slot on radio /tv
I think he could get some interest.
Its true he wont get the interest of old, time as moved on. Even if he was in his 20s and 30s he would still be in this position- in fact he was selling more live tickets in his 50s than he did for most of his solo career
Maybe thats the point, accept this is how life is and get on with it

This statement is really nothing new. Morrissey has been peddling the "I'm the only unique voice in modern music, all other artists are mindless sheep' shtick for decades.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom