Morrissey Central (Instagram) Morrissey comments re: Your Arsenal 30th (July 28, 2022)

Screenshot_20220728-144021~2.png

Update:
Now a Central post.
FWD.

Sorry Morrissey, but your thick as shit. You embraced the far right. Your recent output has been hit-and-miss at best. That is exactly why you don’t have a record deal and why you’ve lost a hunk of casual listeners and part of your fan base. Duh!
Duh! You must be agiv- and monarchy supporter. Duh. !!your brain is up on your ass. I feel sorry for you. Keep feeding your brain with shit.

Sure, I can provide a list of mostly young(ish) artists I greatly admire. None have yet hit "Dylan, Lennon, or Bowie" levels of fame,
I wasn’t talking about fame.
but each has written a song that only they could write, and each has -- in my opinion -- hit on something very special.

Ok. Then all of this is subjective. And Morrissey’s opinion of modern music is correct also. Also we need to ask, what exactly does Morrissey mean when he uses the words ‘modern music’ does he mean popular music or the people that you listed.

Michael Kiwanuka, Sault, Jens Lekman, Future Islands, Leon Bridges, Khruangbin, Genesis Owusu, Cleo Sol, Hiatus Kaiyote, MorMor, Brittany Howard, Natalia LaFourcade, etc., etc.. There are plenty of wonderful young artists making music, if you know where to listen.

Morrissey needs to take the "we" out of inane statements like "we are trained to expect nothing of modern music." Speak for yourself, old man. I expect plenty from modern music and modern music continues to deliver.

There are no modern songwriters of whom
we can say 'no one but you could have written
that song.' There are no modern songwriters to whom we can say, you've really hit on something. All that happens depends on something already achieved by somebody else. Consequently, there has never been a time when people so desperately need a true projection of how life really is.”

nothing unique here, nothing grabs me. Easy listening. I’ll pass.

Now I don’t think this falls under the category of ‘modern music’ that Morrissey was talking about. I’m only hearing this one song, I wonder if the others follow this line? I may actually give the rest of this album a listen. Though even in this song nothing entirely new, hearing a lot from the school of Philip Glass here.

Surely we have plenty of this. Not hitting on something here. Not doing anything new with what’s gone before really. Pass.

I’m familiar with them. Retro really. The only thing this band has going for it, is the singers voice, at least interesting.

This one’s pleasant enough, too pleasant? Will it stand the test of time? Are they hitting on something new? Not bad, but I’ll pass.

Pleasant. In one ear and out the other, nothing touched. It’s easy to hear why this is likable, but is likable enough? Not for me. Pass.

Hmmm, this one’s interesting, his flow is awkward, which is kinda cool, guessing it’s his style. May check more of this his out.

Not hitting on something here, not for me at least. Not hearing anything unique here. Pass.

Having listened to the above artists, and I guess this can fall under the category of ‘modern music’ that Morrissey is talking about(?) but he may also mean popular music
the stuff that’s in redundant rotation on popular FM radio stations, etc.

It is subjective for the most part.
And hearing the artists above, except were noted, I’m simply not hearing anything that great, nothing that I would sit down and listen to and be enraptured by. Which is what I want from an artist.

*woe

Standerds is defiantly slipping in this forums.
Pardon me for posting before my first cup of coffee had fully kicked in.

Everyone loves an internet spelling/grammar cop, you know. Glad I was able to provide you with the highlight of your day.

Oh Morrissey, you are criticizing modern music (I don't like it either), but then having Miley Cyrus sing on your album. Pick a lane, dude. Now I am annoyed.
Hayy if please, are those contradictions that sometimes Moz has, the same happens with that rapper singer who was linked to Moz, that is a very very basic music with people who dance like primates, I can not stand it, the music in which the blacks stood out was good and comes in absolute decline!!! Moz must be more consistent !!! It also makes me angry!! If you like Cyrus you should clarify, because modern music sucks except... that I like. Moz nps we got angry eh!!!!:rolleyes::grin:

hes right,couldnt tell you the last time a song actually moved me,gave me goosebumps,made me take a deep breath,you will get songs that are catchy and a bit of a toe-tapper but thats it,it isnt going to change your life,could be an age thing but doubt it.every song is about sex these days.
Yeah, I can't remember either when a song last gave me goose bumps.
But then again, me goose never got many bumps in the first place.

Ok. Then all of this is subjective. And Morrissey’s opinion of modern music is correct also. Also we need to ask, what exactly does Morrissey mean when he uses the words ‘modern music’ does he mean popular music or the people that you listed.

that song.' There are no modern songwriters to whom we can say, you've really hit on something. All that happens depends on something already achieved by somebody else. Consequently, there has never been a time when people so desperately need a true projection of how life really is.”

Now I don’t think this falls under the category of ‘modern music’ that Morrissey was talking about. I’m only hearing this one song, I wonder if the others follow this line? I may actually give the rest of this album a listen. Though even in this song nothing entirely new, hearing a lot from the school of Philip Glass here.

Surely we have plenty of this. Not hitting on something here. Not doing anything new with what’s gone before really. Pass.

I’m familiar with them. Retro really. The only thing this band has going for it, is the singers voice, at least interesting.

This one’s pleasant enough, too pleasant? Will it stand the test of time? Are they hitting on something new? Not bad, but I’ll pass.

Pleasant. In one ear and out the other, nothing touched. It’s easy to hear why this is likable, but is likable enough? Not for me. Pass.

Hmmm, this one’s interesting, his flow is awkward, which is kinda cool, guessing it’s his style. May check more of this his out.

Not hitting on something here, not for me at least. Not hearing anything unique here. Pass.

Having listened to the above artists, and I guess this can fall under the category of ‘modern music’ that Morrissey is talking about(?) but he may also mean popular music

And hearing the artists above, except were noted, I’m simply not hearing anything that great, nothing that I would sit down and listen to and be enraptured by. Which is what I want from an artist.

As I said, “in my opinion.” There's no accounting for taste, as the old saying goes.

That you rendered a verdict on the aforementioned artists based on a single YouTube clip is lazy and laughable.

“Morrissey’s opinion of modern music is correct also.” Or wrong also. I’m going with wrong.

As I said, “in my opinion.” There's no accounting for taste, as the old saying goes.
Going by your list. Indeed.
That you rendered a verdict on the aforementioned artists based on a single YouTube clip is lazy and laughable.
Please put up some videos here of artists that you think deserves more time. Would be my pleasure to give it a better judgment. Again, I’d love to hear some new music that’s saying something new, that will take me over, and make me a fan forever.
“Morrissey’s opinion of modern music is correct also.” Or wrong also. I’m going with wrong.

And it could just as well be said …

Angelito’s opinion of modern music is correct also. Or wrong also. I’m going with wrong.

No one has mentioned Dry Cleaning yet ☹

Best thing since the Smiths

Last edited:
It surely CANNOT BE A COINCIDENCE that Beyonce's new album mentions Your Arsenal (not once but twice!) on its best song, "Plastic Off the Sofa":

IMG_2554.jpg

And the way she sings is it super sexy, too. She clearly has the hots for Moz.

World Peace is unlistenable! I can't believe that anyone but the deaf could enjoy it. Dog on a chain is far superior. Southpaw is ALMOST better...

I’ll try to put an end to the new vs old argument in this thread by trying to sum things up. I think the majority of people here, meaning on a fan site of an aging 63 year old artist prefers listening to older styles of music rather then the teenager music of today. I myself much prefer artists like M, or say a Richard Hawley then what’s probably currently in the top ten of the mainstream charts at any given moment. Not to say there isn’t anything good coming out of that mostly younger dominated mainstream charts but I just prefer older styles of music. And I would say that the majority of people here on this fan site probably would agree.

It is true that people prefer the music of their time, but the truth is that music has regressed, and in Latin America it is worse, songs that talk about drug vagrancy, sex, zero content and dance like monkeys. This is deliberate to manipulate people. It's not a matter of being closed, it's that popular music is bad!! There are talented people, but they are not popular difficult to find!!!

Sure, if you focus on commercial pop and indie rock you’ll be gravely disappointed. However, there are plenty of brilliant artists and songwriters in modern alternative country (Benjamin Tod, Colter Wall, Cody Jinks, for a start), in dark ambient (Shrine, Alphaxone, Atrium Carceri…), post punk and related genres (Rome, Boy Harsher, Angel De La Guarda). Widen your horizons!

Honestly nothing that special with dry cleaning. If I’m going to listen to that style of music I’d rather just go to a more authentic choice who are ironically their 4ad label mates and that would be The Breeders.
Ok fair comment and fully taken on board but we’re speaking about new stuff 👍

Viva Beirut Zach Condon is a great singer something depre like someone..... ha haa maybe that's why I like it so much!!!

"There are no modern songwriters to whom we can say
'no one but you could have written that song'."

Was tryin' to think of some.
One would be Craig Finn.

I'd agree with that. A fair counterpoint to the Moz statement. Craig certainly writes from a unique place.

I like Patrick Stickles a lot too. Probably a better alternative as Patrick is mid 30's and Craig is in his 50's now. 'Modern' suggests young(ish) doesn't it?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom