Morrissey Central (Instagram) Morrissey comments re: Your Arsenal 30th (July 28, 2022)

Screenshot_20220728-144021~2.png

Update:
Now a Central post.
FWD.

can you give us a list of young artists or acts that …

we can say to 'no one but you could have written that song.'

And the person singing the song wrote it themselves.

or ..

'you've really hit on something.' ?

And I don’t believe we’re taking about the use of modern technology to help come up with something that is a novelty.

I’m not arguing. I’m just curious, because I’d love to hear these brilliant emerging artists that are up there with the likes of Morrissey, Dylan, Lennon, Bowie, Joni Mitchell, etc

Sure, I can provide a list of mostly young(ish) artists I greatly admire. None have yet hit "Dylan, Lennon, or Bowie" levels of fame, but each has written a song that only they could write, and each has -- in my opinion -- hit on something very special.

Michael Kiwanuka, Sault, Jens Lekman, Future Islands, Leon Bridges, Khruangbin, Genesis Owusu, Cleo Sol, Hiatus Kaiyote, MorMor, Brittany Howard, Natalia LaFourcade, etc., etc.. There are plenty of wonderful young artists making music, if you know where to listen.

Morrissey needs to take the "we" out of inane statements like "we are trained to expect nothing of modern music." Speak for yourself, old man. I expect plenty from modern music and modern music continues to deliver.

His music has nothing to say, does it? His constant moaning about how he's superior and everyone else is guff like we didn't hear the garbage that made up most of Dog on a Chain.
Right.
Also what does a rich recluse with a man slave who's surrounded by yes men know about life.
Deluded clown.
Morrissey, the emporer without clothes still full of himself.
What a price.

Please Moz, join the modern world and release Bonfire yourself. It's over. The past is gone and no amount of complaining will turn the clock back. So what if the big labels have flattened the playing field and homogenized the charts. You can be yourself in the DIY digital age. It seems to me that's the only choice you have left, besides joining one of those small indie outfits that you think yourself too good for.

Sure, I can provide a list of mostly young(ish) artists I greatly admire. None have yet hit "Dylan, Lennon, or Bowie" levels of fame, but each has written a song that only they could write, and each has -- in my opinion -- hit on something very special.

Michael Kiwanuka, Sault, Jens Lekman, Future Islands, Leon Bridges, Khruangbin, Genesis Owusu, Cleo Sol, Hiatus Kaiyote, MorMor, Brittany Howard, Natalia LaFourcade, etc., etc.. There are plenty of wonderful young artists making music, if you know where to listen.

Morrissey needs to take the "we" out of inane statements like "we are trained to expect nothing of modern music." Speak for yourself, old man. I expect plenty from modern music and modern music continues to deliver.
Lots of good artists on that list. I've seen Natalia LaFourcade three times... her Hollywood Bowl performance was amazing - I believe it's on YouTube. I can't imagine anyone but Future Islands writing "Seasons (Waiting on You)" or "A Dream of You And Me."

Last edited:
Sorry Morrissey, but your thick as shit. You embraced the far right. Your recent output has been hit-and-miss at best. That is exactly why you don’t have a record deal and why you’ve lost a hunk of casual listeners and part of your fan base. Duh!

There has never been a time when people in their sixties have not said that modern pop is rubbish. There has always been and there will always be great new music and good songwriters, even though at times it might be harder to find. I'm in my early fifties and feel like much of the new pop music doesn't resonate with me the way it used to, but it's probably because of me getting old. Going on about the state of pop sounds to me like "it used to be all green hills here" nonsense. It looks pathetic and bitter.

There has never been a time when people in their sixties have not said that modern pop is rubbish. There has always been and there will always be great new music and good songwriters, even though at times it might be harder to find. I'm in my early fifties and feel like much of the new pop music doesn't resonate with me the way it used to, but it's probably because of me getting old. Going on about the state of pop sounds to me like "it used to be all green hills here" nonsense. It looks pathetic and bitter.
My nipper is 14, without provocation he’s noticed that our generation were blessed with the best of pop music, when we were in our late teens. He lists 3ft High and Rising, Screamadelica and The Smiths as the greatest albums ever recorded, and I only introduced him to one of these.

Deconstruct this if you wish, but he listens to loads of music from across the ages of popular music. Naturally I think he’s correct, but I’d also highlight that Never Mind the Bollocks had a brief but particularly profound impact on all aspects of the music industry, and I’d suggest that it was our age-group that reaped the rewards, in our teens.

To my mind, music won’t get significantly better until there’s another Sex Pistols. But the current generation of ‘woke’ indignant types (simply the new ‘disgusted of Tunbridge Wells’) might be teeing that possibility up quite nicely.

The best pop music is about rebellion, possibility and freedom, and to distinguish that as a concept, a background of controlling zealots might be just the ticket.

I always thought, the meaning of "Your arse anal" would be very crass/drastic but maybe Morrissey's humor to make fun of (us) boring heteros. Maybe a secret coming out in 92? What do you think @Ketamine Sun ?

He coud have used the opportunity to say something intersting about Your Arsenal instead of another variation of the "whoa is me" whine that he's put out a dozen or more times over the past 8-10 years.

Right.
Also what does a rich recluse with a man slave who's surrounded by yes men know about life.
Deluded clown.
Morrissey, the emporer without clothes still full of himself.
What a price.
The ‘slave’ is security and a P.A to protect him from nut cases who’ve escaped from the Puzzle Factory…. Rather like yourself.

hes right,couldnt tell you the last time a song actually moved me,gave me goosebumps,made me take a deep breath,you will get songs that are catchy and a bit of a toe-tapper but thats it,it isnt going to change your life,could be an age thing but doubt it.every song is about sex these days.

Oh boy ! I agreeeee this current music it's horrible. No nice voices, just talking trash , none sense but. They are sellin g millions. That is what they like now . Horrible.!! How can we fans can invest to produce your LP. Dear morrisey ???

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom