Inside the Smiths

slum mum 1974

I just bought a DVD off Ebay, has anyone bought this or watched it?

"Speaking with candour, honesty and humour, Mike Joyce and Andy Rourke offer a unique insight into the private life of the groundbreaking band: “The DVD is a very real account of what happened when we were in The Smiths,” says Joyce. “We wanted people to know what it was really like. It is more truthful than anything we have revealed in interviews before because we were relaxed with how it was done and who was doing it”.

This is the first documentary about The Smiths to be released on DVD and begins with the story of the band’s origins in Manchester. The film takes us through the trip to London that secured their record deal, the eventful recording of their debut album, the tours, the trips to the US and the superfandom. But this is no puff piece: Rourke and Joyce speak frankly about what it was really like to be in a band with Morrissey and Marr, about Joyce winning his wife back by telling her he was going to be on Top Of The Pops, and about Rourke’s heroin addiction that briefly ended his career in the band.

Produced and directed by Manchester-based friend Stephen Petricco, and introduced by Mark Standley, ‘Inside The Smiths’ is peppered with archive photos (shot by original Smiths photographer Stephen Wright), exclusive interviews and footage of Mike and Andy today. Alongside in-depth interviews with the former Smiths, friends and fans including New Order’s Peter Hook, The Fall’s Mark E Smith, Buzzcocks frontman Pete Shelley, Ricky Wilson and Nick Hodgson of The Kaiser Chiefs and Ordinary Boys singer Preston offer their own unique insight into what made The Smiths so special."

I'm not going to deprive them of a new kitchen, that's clearly what they're doing it for!

I'm not going to deprive them of a new kitchen, that's clearly what they're doing it for!

I can see it now, all the way from MFI....(Made For Idiots :D)
(does that mean i am not the only one to purchase this? Or am i the only sad sack that has?:o)

I can see it now, all the way from MFI....(Made For Idiots :D)
(does that mean i am not the only one to purchase this? Or am i the only sad sack that has?:o)

Hi, I may buy it when you have given us your honest opinion of it.

Hi, I may buy it when you have given us your honest opinion of it.

when i recieve it i will truly give you my honest opinion of it, that's for sure but i feel like after everybody's comments that it ain't gonna be that good. I hope i am wrong though.

I watched a clip on youtube. BORING. I personally don't care what Mike and Andy have to say about anything.

I watched a clip on youtube. BORING. I personally don't care what Mike and Andy have to say about anything.

That would be like watching Andy Fletcher's tales from The Mode Tour

That would be like watching Andy Fletcher's tales from The Mode Tour

All Fletch could tell us is how many times he raised his arms and clapped at each show while pretedning to play.
Poor Fletch :)

All Fletch could tell us is how many times he raised his arms and clapped at each show while pretedning to play.
Poor Fletch :)

Well since Alan quit..he's had to do more work...He actually stays on stage while Martin "performs" his solo....Martin has taken up the arm waving while having the guitar strapped to his back...

you should all go out & buy it, it's got me innit!

love

Grim

It's a good DVD, Joyce and Rourke were crucial to The Smiths and have been sidelined too long. the demonising of them doesn't wash with me, they were great players and spent all those years in the greatest band ever.

Well I was hanging about outside the venue (M.E.N. Arena 2004) for ages awaiting for someone to show up when I saw Andy Rourke walking up, so I went up & asked him how he was doing & if he'd sign my ticket?
inside.jpg

love

Grim
P.s. I'm the good looker on the right btw! ;) Not really that's his girlfriend.

Well I was hanging about outside the venue (M.E.N. Arena 2004) for ages awaiting for someone to show up when I saw Andy Rourke walking up, so I went up & asked him how he was doing & if he'd sign my ticket?
inside.jpg

love

Grim
P.s. I'm the good looker on the right btw! ;) Not really that's his girlfriend.

I'd ahve a go on his missus while he played his bassline from Barbarism. And filmed us. At the same time.

It's a good DVD, Joyce and Rourke were crucial to The Smiths and have been sidelined too long. the demonising of them doesn't wash with me, they were great players and spent all those years in the greatest band ever.

Too true, I wanted to punch Mark Simpson in the face when he said that Rourke and Joyce could be mistaken for stools with the lights turned down, in Saint Morrissey.

I'd ahve a go on his missus while he played his bassline from Barbarism. And filmed us. At the same time.
:D sounds like it could be a line from a song on the new album!

Back
Top Bottom