Information on these unreleased songs

I'm still curious about "Home Is A Question Mark", which was recorded during the YATQ sessions. Does it really exist? Or has it been released under a different name? Does anybody know?

^^I would say it exists, but it has not been leaked or released under a different name. I wasn't a fan until late '05 so I wasn't up on any Quarry news, but people have mentioned some "list" that named a bunch of songs from before Quarry was released and all the songs, except for Home is a Question Mark, have ended up released in one way or another. So it probably exists, but nothing's definite.

Hmmm, I wonder if Morrissey is planning on releasing an unreleased compilation sometime in the future? Just a thought, but it definitely isn't out of the realm of possibility.

^^^
Just in case you are interested, that list you have mentioned contains the following tracks:

"America Is Not The World"
"Irish Blood, English Heart"
"I Have Forgiven Jesus"
"Come Back To Camden"
"I'm Not Sorry"
"The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores"
"How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?"
"The First Of The Gang To Die"
"Teenage Dad On His Estate"
"I Like You"
"The Never-Played Symphonies"
"The Slum Mums"
"You Know I Couldn't Last"
"Home Is A Question Mark"
"The Public Image"
"It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small"

Here is the link to the article at "True To You":

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_040109_01

Re: Information on these unreleased songs + info on a THIRD Jack the Ripper

I'm still curious about "Home Is A Question Mark", which was recorded during the YATQ sessions. Does it really exist? Or has it been released under a different name? Does anybody know?

I asked Boz about this when someone discovered the copyright to Morrissey and "Alain Gordon Whyte" in early 2005. His response was generally that so many songs had been recorded that they ran together in his memory and he couldn't specifically recall details of that title. Which, I suppose, is fair enough if he didn't have the lyrics to go with when recording the music.

Another interesting one Boz spoke of when I queried him roughly two-three years ago (and one that has not been mentioned in this thread, that I am aware of) is an alternate version of Jack the Ripper that was recorded live at either Sun Studios or in New Orleans (sorry, the e-mail print-off is stashed away in storage so I can't remember which) during the Your Arsenal tour. Unfortunately, Morrissey never completed the vocal so it was scratched.

I recalled hearing about this aborted session in the late 90s and thought something used to be on Morrissey-solo's news page about it, but I've never found it again. Maybe one of the other "lifers" could speak to it in more detail. Nevertheless, it seems surprising that no still pictures were taken of such an interesting endeavor.

Cheers,
Jamie

I asked Boz about this when someone discovered the copyright to Morrissey and "Alain Gordon Whyte" in early 2005. His response was generally that so many songs had been recorded that they ran together in his memory and he couldn't specifically recall details of that title. Which, I suppose, is fair enough if he didn't have the lyrics to go with when recording the music.

I don't know, but I'd say that "Home Is A Question Mark" did have lyrics and was well prepared for a release. Why else would it have appeared on that list?

Oso, let me clarify on what I said. Since Boz is used to recording the instrumental tracks without the benefit of Morrissey's lyrics, and if they recorded a large number of instrumental tracks that went unused, it could have been possible that Home... blurred into this pile of unfinished stuff in his memory. That is, the title didn't ring a bell b/c it wasn't on the finished masters.

However, the mere existence of the BMI registration of the song to Morrissey / Whyte is suggestion enough to me that a complete track exists. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually saw light of day on a Morrissey Sanctuary years compilation. Let's face it: there'll be on in the next three to five years!

Cheers,
Jamie

I see ... I thought you were saying that it was just an unfinished instrumental.

Well, let's hope that this track will surface sometime soon!

Before the album was released, True-To-You published a list of songs that had been recorded for the album and b-sides. Home Is A Question Mark was on that list. Also, there were some lyrics leaked, which all turned out to be correct and have turned up in released songs, apart from the following: "I do not flinch if the doorbell rings, I sit and yawn with my curtains drawn; saintly patience tips so easy to sin - will the last laugh be yours?". So I'm guessing these are Home Is A Question Mark lyrics, and on that basis, I'd say it was recorded, and does have words. Still not heard it though. We need Mr. Reynolds.

Peter

Speaking of unreleased YATQ tracks, maybe there are studio versions of Playing Easy To Get and Noise Is The Best Revenge as well?

On "Agreeable Civil Servant" which I said I saw listed a long time ago. Having spoke to some people, it seems that may have just been the working title of "Best Friend On The Payroll".

Another interesting one Boz spoke of when I queried him roughly two-three years ago (and one that has not been mentioned in this thread, that I am aware of) is an alternate version of Jack the Ripper that was recorded live at either Sun Studios or in New Orleans (sorry, the e-mail print-off is stashed away in storage so I can't remember which) during the Your Arsenal tour.

You're probably talking about those sessions with Allen Toussaint in Slidell (New Orleans). They were left unfinished.

Stephane

my guess is that "home is a question mark" was the working title of "My Life Is An Endless Succession Of People Saying Goodbye" because Succession is missing from the list.

my guess is that "home is a question mark" was the working title of "My Life Is An Endless Succession Of People Saying Goodbye" because Succession is missing from the list.

So is Munich Air Desaster and Mexico. Instead, The Slum Mums appears on that list, although according to the sleeve notes it had been recorded with Jesse Tobias. Great confusion!

The only thing we DO know about the other b-sides is that Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice, Friday Mourning and I Am Two People were recorded in July 2004.

Back
Top Bottom