Info on Viva Hate demos

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2016 (read-only)' started by Uncleskinny, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Uncleskinny

Uncleskinny It's all good Subscriber

Just clearing out some shite for a house move, and came across some correspondence relating to Stephen Street's portastudio demos for Viva Hate, including I Don't Want Us To Finish and others. Apparently the 4-track machine was given/sold to a member of Gene, possibly with the Morrissey song demos still in the machine.

*EDIT No.2* - I got the correspondence out again, and this time I'm sure I got the correct interpretation.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. Quando quando quando

Quando quando quando Well-Known Member

Very interesting cause I only found out recently about Gene and I quite like them.
    I can detect the influence but still think they have a different kind of feeling.
    Melancholy, yes and very beautiful.
    There isn't the irony, the funny reverse side, or the silly and child-like spontaneity.
    But that doesn't put me off.
    There are many ways to get to my musical heart.
    Maybe Gene is the only example escaping the burden of being just copying The Smiths and Moz but using the inspiration for their own music? I would like to believe it is.
    Thanks for sharing.

3. AztecCamera

AztecCamera Well-Known Member

Again, they are all over YouTube.

4. Uncleskinny

Could you link me to "I Don't Want Us To Finish" please?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ben Budd

Ben Budd Well-Known Member

Apropos, Gene were brilliant. I miss them terribly.

Kind regards,

• Like Like x 1
  6. vegan.cro

vegan.cro Banned

Also, one of the best albums of 21 century:

Martin Rossiter: The Defenestration Of St Martin

• Like Like x 1
  7. sander

sander Member

Would or could you share a scan of it with those who are interested like myself, please?????

8. Uncleskinny

It's just a printout of an e-mail from someone who probably wants to stay anonymous, so I'm gonna have to say no to that unfortunately. The guts of the content are are the top of the thread. Apols for not coming up with more of the goods here.

9. sander

sander Member

Fair enough and thanks for sharing. I always thought that“I don't want us to finish“ does not exist. That was the info I got from someone who was involved in Viva Hate.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL have you met Martin? Have you seen Gene live? Do you know anything about them?
    They are a student union version of a Morrissey B- side. They are NOTHING like the smiths. They are not really anything like Morrissey just a very bad impression. Th only people who like them are people who listen to Morrissey and don't really get him. All that said out of the obvious copycat moz bands Gene are one of the better ones. Some ok songs. Martin is a song writer and not a pop star . Morrissey is a poetic wordsman and a popstar , very differing beasts .Sadly for Martin he was outclassed by Suede , Pulp, Blur . Manics, Oasis etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. billybudd24601

billybudd24601 Member

I'm thanked on the back of martins album.

12. Quando quando quando

Never seen, heard them live or met them.
    Just found out recently and just like their music very much so.
    There is still a lot I don't know.
    I don't understand why they are seen as too much Smiths or Moz epigones.
    I can hear the inspiration and the melancholy feeling but they have a certain unique sound and personal touch. They are very different from other Smiths or Moz influenced bands.
    Maybe Martin Rossiter was outclassed by those you mention in a commercial sense and in the way they were known by the media.
    But I don't rate them anything less than those you mention in a musical sense and agree Martin Rossiter is a very fine songwriter.
    Mind you, Moz and The Smiths are in a different league for me and outclassing all those names!

13. Uncleskinny

You just taught me a new word, used, above in a very apposite sense. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Quando quando quando

Oh that's nice Uncleskinny.
    It is something of importance to me to find out whether the artists intentions, in a musical and artistic way are sincere. Sometimes I feel mislead and disappointed but who doesn't? I don't like the copycats. It seems lazy to me just to copy a succesformula and trying to do the same. To be inspired and using the inspiration to create something which is personal and individual is something else, I hope.
    I know the integrity of the person who makes music is essential but will always be questioned too.
    That is how it should be cause no questioning at all will weaken his art.
    Cheers

15. Surface

Surface Wonder why Vegan Cro uses emoji's so much?

Did you see them? I did, they were a great band in their own right.

• Like Like x 1
  16. butley

butley Active Member

Where can we find the demos?

17. mcrickson

mcrickson Reckless Endangerment

Having heard "Treat Me Like A Human Being" and "Safe Warm Lancashire Home," I'd be much more interested in hearing the scrapped BBC session with Street, Paresi, and Reilly. But I think the word is that those had been deleted completely, no?