influences/borrowing from smiths-songs

libertine99

i need advice, i need advice:

as we all know, morrissey borrows a bit here and there, and it sounds totally ok, as he makes it his own, uses it in different context, or makes twists on words, etc

so, since Im playing around with a song, that uses bits of both, "Satan rejected my soul" and "charming man" (guitar-notes), I wonder, if you would think, thats ok, or too cheeky - I think, its a totally new song in the end - and its not necessarily a bad thing to be influenced by his favorite artist

what do you think?
www.myspace.com/ohnesorg -> authority hurts

(of course its a different style, since the band comes more from a punk-background, and I dont like the lyrics either...)
since im the only morrissey-fan in the band, its not totally where I want to go, but I at least like a few bits of it (its not finished yet anyway)

cheers, flo

Last edited:
You'd like us to comment your song?

Hmmm, I don't find Smiths influence in the song.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
i think thats good then :)
the chords of the verse are the same of this charming man (of course played totally different, more like the current live version), and I was a little afraid, that its too much a rip-off then

i need advice, i need advice:

as we all know, morrissey borrows a bit here and there, and it sounds totally ok, as he makes it his own, uses it in different context, or makes twists on words, etc

so, since Im playing around with a song, that uses bits of both, "Satan rejected my soul" and "charming man" (guitar-notes), I wonder, if you would think, thats ok, or too cheeky - I think, its a totally new song in the end - and its not necessarily a bad thing to be influenced by his favorite artist

what do you think?
www.myspace.com/ohnesorg -> authority hurts

(of course its a different style, since the band comes more from a punk-background, and I dont like the lyrics either...)
since im the only morrissey-fan in the band, its not totally where I want to go, but I at least like a few bits of it (its not finished yet anyway)

cheers, flo

Unfortunately I'm not in a place where I can listen to your song, but as a general rule I would encourage you to steal, steal, steal. 90% of your favorite "original" music is probably lifted from sources of which you are not even aware, so don't worry about it. If you're making music you must believe in your talent; and if you're talented, you'll make the theft work in your favor.

thanks for replying, worm - thats very much how i see it :)
(as long as its not a real copy of things, which would be boring and highly irrelevant... mando diao for example)

i can hear the influence quiet easily, but i do like it, singing could be a little clearer but it aint too shabby

Back
Top Bottom