Influence of SER...?

A

Anonymous

Genuine question: Morrissey's right-wing opinions and outbursts seemed to come to the forefront around the same time that SER became a regular face in the Morrissey entourage. From what I can see on his instagram, morrisseycentral etc. he certainly seems to be very supportive of his uncle.

But do you think SER encourages this sort of behaviour in Morrissey? What do we know about him? Is he the one telling Moz that "any publicity is good publicity"?

Just wondering what others thought?

I've got a hunch that at least part of Morrissey isn't too pleased to be having to haul his starry-eyed nephew around at this stage of his career. As the "I was Morrissey's roadie" article from awhile back seemed to indicate, Morrissey doesn't really like spending time with people who are all-consumed in his work - and there's Sam posting Smiths songs and quotes almost non-stop on social media between shirtless shots in Hollywood.

I also took note that once Morrissey had a record label again, Sam wasn't allowed near the sleeve art or music videos - as he was with "Kiss Me A Lot." Frankly, it's a surprise that he's still allowed to run the website, although I'm sure some part of that is because it saves Morrissey from having to employ a web designer.

I've got a hunch that at least part of Morrissey isn't too pleased to be having to haul his starry-eyed nephew around at this stage of his career. As the "I was Morrissey's roadie" article from awhile back seemed to indicate, Morrissey doesn't really like spending time with people who are all-consumed in his work - and there's Sam posting Smiths songs and quotes almost non-stop on social media between shirtless shots in Hollywood.

I also took note that once Morrissey had a record label again, Sam wasn't allowed near the sleeve art or music videos - as he was with "Kiss Me A Lot." Frankly, it's a surprise that he's still allowed to run the website, although I'm sure some part of that is because it saves Morrissey from having to employ a web designer.
Interesting points. What makes you think he's not too pleased about it? I think your last point is bang on. We know what a tight-wad he can be, and that's probably a cost he doesn't see the point of. Having said that, I thought Sam must have had a hand in the Chain Gang sleeve as it's so god-awful I can't imagine a professional designer putting their name to it.

Last edited:
Genuine question: Morrissey's right-wing opinions and outbursts seemed to come to the forefront around the same time that SER became a regular face in the Morrissey entourage. From what I can see on his instagram, morrisseycentral etc. he certainly seems to be very supportive of his uncle.

But do you think SER encourages this sort of behaviour in Morrissey? What do we know about him? Is he the one telling Moz that "any publicity is good publicity"?

Just wondering what others thought?
Interesting thought. But I do think Morrissey is, and has always been, completely his own person - even sometimes to the detriment of his career. I'm also not sure I get a sense that Sam has the originality and drive to mastermind such a PR strategy.

I do sometimes think Morrissey is having his Reggie Perrin years - almost wilfully trying to tear down what he's created. If that's true, maybe Sam is simply, unwittingly, part of the self-sabotage project.

Last edited:
hes family and most of us would do most things to help a family member out,hes the gap between Morrissey and social media,think he did a good job with the blue dreamers eyes video.

I see Morrissey as a person that comes up with very strong opinions of his own and very dominant over other as well. So my answer would be no. What I do suspect though, is that Sam helped his uncle to find his way around on the internet and possibly brought sites like Breitbart or that stuff by Styx to his attention. The reason why I am saying it is because Morrissey has always struck me as being rather slow in adopting the new technologies, and probably depends on others helping him with that (as many people do). Sam grew up in the tech age and has a college degree as well.

In an answer to mcrickson, yes it is true that Morrissey uses his nephew as cheap labour from time to time. But I also think that am is happy to use his uncle to help him pull off his own creative career.

Morrissey has been video challenged his whole career with a few exceptions here and there, but the KMAL video was the worst ever. SER may have technological skills, but art should run screaming into the night if it sees him coming for it! :jackolantern:

Interesting points. What makes you think he's not too pleased about it? I think your last point is bang on. We know what a tight-wad he can be, and that's probably a cost he doesn't see the point of. Having said that, I thought Sam must have had a hand in the Chain Gang sleeve as it's so god-awful I can't imagine a professional designer putting their name to it.

Well everyone even slightly in the know knows mozza doesn't really like Sam (I mean they have NOTHING in common Sam keeps nagging his mom and Nanna for mozza to make his career. Mozza the good son has Sam around to please mommy

I mean morrissey is a self made mad. Sam is a leach who is desperate for fame and has no shame at all I mean its f***ing hilarious he doesn't like like Moz yet does all these pics trying to be like him. What family member does that, especially at Sam's age. He will be doing a robbie soon and greeting plastic surgery to try (but fail) to look like moz

I think Sam runs the website because morrisseys interest in websites doesn’t run that deep or strong and what he does is fine enough and Sam probably likes being involved and enjoys doing it. If you look at morrisseys views on subjects like immigration and establishment government authority figures not much has changed really. Those topics have simply become large hot button divisive topics in today’s time. His views have been hardened maybe just like anyone else’s by events but a lot of his positions haven’t changed. The societal opinions around him have evolved for better and worse though.l or at least shifted. It used to be a left wing so to speak position to bash Islam and it’s practitioners for its brutal sexist culture and authoritarianism. Now the right bashes Islam and Muslims for nationalistic racist reasons and many on the left change there own view in reaction and refuse to accept criticism or condemnation of islam and see it only as cover for racism. My point being that I don’t thjnk morrisseys opinions have changed much over the years. As the world changed or have I changed? Mostly I in morrisseys case I think it the world. I can remember him saying that British culture was disappearing and being replaced by American culture and everyone cheering. Now change being replaced by American culture to islamic culture and people claim racism. He’s been saying that Britain can’t take so many migrants without draining the budget since like 99 or 2000 but now that’s a charged issue and people only see racism. Trump and people like him pander to genuin racists so often and so blatantly that anything that resembles his/there opinions in any general or vauge way is wrong and assumed to be coming from the same place. Counter culture in the eighties hated mainstream media and news as corporate puppets and now since trump is clearly and transparently trying to discredit media for his own purposes any criticism or accusation against the news media is now assumed as a right wing position and a defense of trump and those like him

Morrissey has been video challenged his whole career with a few exceptions here and there, but the KMAL video was the worst ever. SER may have technological skills, but art should run screaming into the night if it sees him coming for it! :jackolantern:

Honestly, going by the Morrissey Central website that he's apparently in charge of - he doesn't even have technological skills.

I think he's always been right wing, and his views haven't changed in recent years - there has been plenty of dodgy comments for decades. The only difference is, that it seems like he's finally given up pretending and backtracking since that audio interview tape exposed him as a liar.

Honestly, going by the Morrissey Central website that he's apparently in charge of - he doesn't even have technological skills.

Well, then, apparently we all got to assume that Morrissey IS in charge of Central, since we assume that apparently Morrissey has no technological skills.

Has SER spoken publically, interview etc

Finest moment was in Suedehead video

Your nephew is true
He thinks the world of you...

Boxers

Perhaps he doesn't want to get on the wrong side of his sister.

It could be that SER is his surrogate son, as he has no offspring of his own. I've only seen my niece once, but I feel a duty to be uvuncular towards her, its what your family expect of you, and being an uncle is like being a guardian by default - much the same as being a grandparent. It's a special role. Also, he's probably aware that Marr has kids who have played a role (even if minor) in his solo work, and doesn't want to feel as though he's having his nose put out of joint. It must also do something for his ego as he made his name by being fey and disassociated and probably regrets that to a degree now that he's middle aged and other ex Smiths are doing middle aged, family things. He's torn between what his fans expect him to be and what his peers (the ex Smiths) would expect him to be as an individual at this stage of his life. Morrissey can sing all he likes about still being alone and inept, as long as its his narrative. But for anyone else (especially ex Smiths) to point the finger and to be able to actually accuse him of still being that sad, lonely individual, is another matter. I even think he now puts the trappings of the influence his celebrity has over his immediate circle, above considerations of his career. He only ever wanted to prove himself in order to be on a par with his associates. He only wanted fame due to a lack of self esteem and now he has enough of it to generate that from his close circle, his mission has been accomplished. All he needs to do now is the bare minimum necessary to maintain that status quo. Basically, whether we like it or not, he's reached a certain level of contentment. Can't blame him for stepping down a gear now. But he can't let it go completely because he still needs that guarantee of comradeship and, to put it bluntly, COMPANY, after so many awful years feeling alone and unwanted. Fame for him was only ever the need for friendship and you're only as famous as the people around you allow you to be. The other fame is ethereal and intangible unless he goes on tour and experiences it for himself. It's telling when he sang 'she is famous she is funny' in Rusholme Ruffians, which he admitted was about that type of fame you feel with your school friends, a kind of infallibility and recklessness as part of the group. He never had that then, but he has it now. Two levels of fame, his own circle, and the wider public. We take the former as given, he has to work for it. Typical Morrissey to feel the need to go out and conquer the world in order to conquer his friends and family. We reaped the benefits of that almost pathological obsession. We were admiring bystanders. The fact that Morrisseys gone to such extraordinary lengths and made so much effort to attain a level of integration that others take for granted, marks him out as special for me. How many other people worked so hard to achieve the commendation of their family and friends when their natural inclination was to run away from the world and hide. It was his only chance of achieving some degree of love in his eyes. Egotisitic and yet unbelievably selfless at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom