Independent / James Moore: "Morrissey on tour is the last thing Britain needs right now" (July 23, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking as an American, the last thing England needs right now is a monarchy. It's honestly hard to claim the UK is a progressive democratic country when it still believes in Divine Right to Rule. America is having similar problems due to the Christian Supremacist Movement exerting more and more power every year. At least in America we can shut-up the whining wokesters by telling them they should focus their activist energy on restoring reproductive freedoms in this country. It's still going to take a while, tho. Prior to the repeal of Roe v. Wade, the biggest priorities among young leftists have been this odd pro-censorship movement that has mainly focused on comedians, followed closely by the "Healthy At Any Weight" movement, which states it is a hate crime to claim that obesity can cause health issues. This is why American doctors no longer urge their patients to lose weight, or even mention diabetes. It's why the American media NEVER mentioned obesity as a comorbidity with COVID, much like being elderly
And a question for those on the Left in the UK: the center-left parties have been winning non-stop for the last decade or more. The Scottish independence vote failed. The British public is writhing on the floor with wet panties in ecstasy over the Royal family. The Brexit vote was the British equivalent to Trump winning a second term. Why are a few comments by Morrissey (which are usually somewhat confusing and are almost always reported on out of context) treated like high priority issues? Maybe if a party on the Left was running the show, such social "hearts and minds" issues would be worth discussing. But maybe first you guys should focus on winning elections. This is going on in America, too, as my post above demonstrates. But "Pet Issues" obsessions, and this desire for every outrage to be celebrity-centric needs to end, or our countries will keep sliding farther and farther right.

Such twaddle.

England is in the midst of a terrible economic crisis where people can’t afford to pay to heat their homes, put petrol in their cars to get to work, and more food banks than ever are necessary to keep even people in full time employment fed, but Morrissey daring to sing some songs to paying fans who want to hear them is the problem?

Whoever wrote this article needs to gain some perspective. Take a look at all the political upheavals, wars & famines & dictators & mass shootings & a million other awful things which are making life into such a struggle for the vast majority of people & stop desperately trying to pin the blame on a pop singer who….committed which crime exactly? Asking people to at least read the policies of a party who were for tighter border controls & treating animals better?

The immigration numbers in the U.K have been out of control for years. The home office stated this themselves back in 2012, saying that they needed to be significantly reduced. 10 years later they haven’t been reduced at all. All they did was start charging people huge fees for visa applications & turned the whole situation into a more lucrative business.

But when Morrissey, or anybody else, suggests that it might be to the detriment of our country, they are branded an evil racist.

Japan, for example, have very strict & controlled measures in place regarding immigration but nobody calls them a bunch of racists.

Morrissey is an easy target because he has always refused to explain himself or cower & apologise: something which is increasingly rare in this day & age.

Anyway, I can’t wait to see him live later this year. Long may Morrissey keep on keeping on whilst all the spiteful bores cry into their wet flannels.
Morrissey is an easy target because he's a politically illiterate moron with a big mouth.

He's said almost nothing about mass immigration.

And none of it is even close to your position.

Er, I think you'll find that he has. In interview after interview he has alluded to the effects of mass immigration on London, England, and Europe. It's why he's now persona non grata in the mainstream media.
The only position I expressed in my previous post was that mass immigration might have positives and negatives. Hardly controversial. Much less controversial than anything said by Moz.
I also really don't care whether my views align with those of Moz or not. I have never agreed with everything said by Moz. And would never want to. I'm completely comfortable with the idea of liking an artist who has different opinions from my own. Are you?

Er, I think you'll find that he has. In interview after interview he has alluded to the effects of mass immigration on London, England, and Europe. It's why he's now persona non grata in the mainstream media.
The only position I expressed in my previous post was that mass immigration might have positives and negatives. Hardly controversial. Much less controversial than anything said by Moz.
I also really don't care whether my views align with those of Moz or not. I have never agreed with everything said by Moz. And would never want to. I'm completely comfortable with the idea of liking an artist who has different opinions from my own. Are you?

No - he hasn't. He made some mild remarks about things changing in 2007 & the NME decided to compare him to the BNP because of that bloody flag cover story.

You're always commenting about mass immigration.

And hijacking his name for it.

One day at a time. It is a process.

Yeah it’s a process still on going for you, as we all here can see. Hard to let go, right? maybe someday.

No - he hasn't. He made some mild remarks about things changing in 2007 & the NME decided to compare him to the BNP because of that bloody flag cover story.

Oh come on! He's only not that long ago called Germany the "rape capital of Europe" because of all of the refugees that were there, that Sadiq Khan "cannot talk properly," etc. I mean, he's shared videos from Paul Joseph Watson and InfoWars on his official site for God's sake!

Because Morrissey is full of myopic, borderline racist shit.

The greater myopia is calling anyone 'racist' wh0 says anything critical of the virtues of diversity. The word 'racist' has lost all meaning. It's like accusing someone of being a witch. There is nothing the person can do to deny it.

Oh come on! He's only not that long ago called Germany the "rape capital of Europe" because of all of the refugees that were there, that Sadiq Khan "cannot talk properly," etc. I mean, he's shared videos from Paul Joseph Watson and InfoWars on his official site for God's sake!

He didn't blame refugees. He blamed government policy for causing disorder. Which was true - they changed it.

And he criticised Sadiq's Estuary accent - which is a British accent. The people who criticised Morrissey genuinely are the racist ones for linking it to his heritage or appearance.

He's never mentioned Watson & he doesn't run the site.

You're kidding yourself.

You sound like Karen? She had the same delusional beliefs. Have you changed your name?

You're kidding yourself.

You sound like Karen? She had the same delusional beliefs. Have you changed your name?

You're still clinging on three years after he ditched that ludicrous "politician".

Bonfire was your last hope & it's gone.

And yes, I did change my name. (It's a new account).

He didn't blame refugees. He blamed government policy for causing disorder. Which was true - they changed it.

And he criticised Sadiq's Estuary accent - which is a British accent. The people who criticised Morrissey genuinely are the racist ones for linking it to his heritage or appearance.

Your back must seriously hurt from all of the mental gymnastics you constantly do.

Your back must seriously hurt from all of the mental gymnastics you constantly do.

It doesn't take any gymnastics - your version of him cuts out nearly everything he's ever said & relies on highly editorialised selective quotes.

You're putting your energy into attacking a minority artist because a few rancid straight white male hacks didn't like him.

IMO Morrissey actually had a point. After reading about it, I watched a Sadiq's interview and found it difficult to understand some words he said, whereas I can understand most English speakers.

I guess M's point was that the Mayor of London - one of the most important, if not the most important european city - should speak a more internationally understandable English.

But, please don't get me wrong. Sadiq Khan must be a really nice person and good mayor to have won a second term in office. After all, that's all what matters to Londoners.

Morrissey, on the flipside, speaks sparkling English. He's an aesthete!

You're still clinging on three years after he ditched that ludicrous "politician".

Bonfire was your last hope & it's gone.

And yes, I did change my name. (It's a new account).

Are you still clinging on to the idea that Moz thinks multiculturalism is great. Keep taking those pills. And doing those mental gymnastics.

Bonfire was my last hope of what exactly? Another great album? From the concert footage I have my hopes. Maybe not as good as Dog on a Chain - but very promising. Veronica is a knock-out clearly.

The worry of course is that because of the title track of the album it may never get released. Bonfire is clearly an incredibly problematic song for anyone who thinks multiculturalism is a great thing. Some might even say it's a dog whistle of a song.

You will deny that of course. You will say the song just expresses understandable anger about the slaughter of innocent lives. Again, kidding yourself.

Moz knew exactly what he was doing when he wrote that song. He is talking about a subject that you are not allowed to talk about, and saying things about immigration that you are not allowed to say.

I wouldn't be surprised if the album never sees the light of day.

I think you think that because Moz clearly is voraciously anti-racist to his core - he couldn't possibly be against multiculturalism. Just consider the possibility that someone can be both.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom