Independent / James Moore: "Morrissey on tour is the last thing Britain needs right now" (July 23, 2022)

Last edited by a moderator:
These ‘How Soon Is Now-ers’ are never quite so quick to remember that an early Smiths version of Bengali was recorded by Golden Boy ‘The Guitarist’ too. Bengali was hardly the Yoko of the moment.

Last edited:
These ‘How Soon Is Now(ers)’ are never quite so quick to remember that an early version Smiths version of Bengali was recorded by Golden Boy ‘The Guitarist’ too. Bengali was hardly the Yoko of the moment.
No wonder he left the band.

Folks, it's over. His new songs are stubbornly bad. He's learned nothing. He is a fossil. Time to move on and I say this as a huge fan dating back to the Smiths. His lyrics have devolved to the point where I am actually wondering... did he really write the lyrics for the Smiths albums?

Folks, it's over. His new songs are stubbornly bad. He's learned nothing. He is a fossil. Time to move on and I say this as a huge fan dating back to the Smiths. His lyrics have devolved to the point where I am actually wondering... did he really write the lyrics for the Smiths albums?
Thanks Johnnie. I might consider moving on after these next gigs but I’m moderately obsessed with going to his gigs, so it’s unlikely. I’m territorial. But, thanks for the advice.

Thanks Johnnie. I might consider moving on after these next gigs but I’m moderately obsessed with going to his gigs, so it’s unlikely. I’m territorial. But, thanks for the advice.

And do you know why that is ? Can you put it into words? Just curious.

I don't think he even knows anything about Trump, he has far more in common with Trump than he does with Bernie Sanders

Goodbye then mate. I assume this will be your last post on the site then??

Johnny Tolengo promotes suede boots and claims to be vegan but no one criticizes such a contradiction, while Moz is found guilty of everything even the decline of his country and the heat wave that hits all of Europe. That another misfortune will be attributed to poor Moz Let it be., his authenticity deserves to be recognized, not like others ... who have a double talk VIVA MOZ(y)

I think everybody here is an adult & can decide for themselves if & when they think it’s time to stop listening to a singer; but thanks for attempting to tell us all what we should like & do.

In which the writer concludes you can’t separate art from artist, via a bit of a potted history of artists the woke have attempted to cancel.

why do they always have to bring up saint marr,must be after an interview,then again johnboy would go to the opening of a fridge door these days,those bright lights.
:lbf: The opening of a fridge door

This is why praise of Marr is always so disingenous, it's just used to take a dig at Morrissey. He's always being damned with faint praise, but I don't think he's smart enough to realize it.
-----------------------------------------
Conflicted Morissey fans could always turn to Johnny Marr. “The Smith you can rely on” performs a number of their songs in his repertoire and his solo stuff is getting better and better. He doesn’t spit bile and, bonus, he doesn’t charge upwards of sixty quid a ticket. At least not yet.

This paragraph is ridiculous, seeing Marr is no where near the experience of seeing Morrissey, the songs are nothing without Moz. I don't feel conflicted, but if Johnny could actually intelligently discuss politics and current events, who knows what he would say, or if you could even understand him (see how he writes lyrics? that's what I mean.......he is illiterate)
"The Smith you can rely on" 0h, that same one who walked out on the band and contractual obligations? That doesn't seem very reliable.
Good to know his solo stuff is getting better and better after being a professional musician for 40 years :laughing: Are we saying it wasn't very good before and there's still room for improvement?
Actually he does spit bile, check his twitter and all the bs he says about Morrissey, also see meltdown about Rick Astley
Marr will never get the ticket prices Morrissey does, so no 'yet' there

Last edited:
Someone fetch me a bucket, I’m going to be sick. Just when we thought we had seen the last of these self-righteous and holier-than-thou articles chock full of nauseating political correctness, The Independent rams this down our throats. God help us all. And God bless Steven Patrick Morrissey.
Well, there's a reason he writes for the independent - it's the only newspaper in which articles are expected to be politically correct at all times. Such a meaningless piece; the ignorant stupidity of it: the shutting down of top artists because their views on Covid differ to his ridiculously over-cautious, stuck-in-the-past ones; his spiteful whinging about Viva Hate (which seems to come purely as a result of him opposing M's views) - will be ignored by all Morrissey fans (the ones going to the tour) and pretty much everyone else could not care less about what he has written. A wholly unnecessary article which is no different to everything that's been thrown in M's way before, therefore doing nothing to change the general public perception of him, just infuriating M fans further (but maybe that was the purpose of the piece anyway, given the writer must have known only we would take notice of it).

These ‘How Soon Is Now-ers’ are never quite so quick to remember that an early Smiths version of Bengali was recorded by Golden Boy ‘The Guitarist’ too. Bengali was hardly the Yoko of the moment.
Not Marr, he'd boogered off by then. That was one of his short lived replacements.

For me, free speech is what matters. People should be able to express, discuss and explain their views without the risk of being shut down. That is the core message behind Morrissey's music. In his songs he demonstrates his opinions, whilst in others he acknowledges it is a risk that he, or anyone, does this and the fact that this is wrong. The deeper-lying theme behind M's music, which is consistent throughout his career, is what allows me to continue listening to him.

No wonder he left the band.
Interestingly enough, Bengali is probably the last solid example of what The Band were musically, or rather, what The Two Frontmen were as a chemical element….. Lyrically is another book but that said, we could’ve potentially predicted it somewhere around ‘Death of a Disco….’ but harmonically, it’s undisputed beauty. Nutshell: It’s a disguised melancholic tribute to their own band’s demise.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom