Independent: "Has Morrissey ruined The Smiths?" by Sean Smith (May 13, 2022)

smiths copy 2.jpg

Has Morrissey ruined The Smiths? - The Independent

The ‘Oswald Mosley’ of pop is martyring himself on a cross of his own making, but what does that mean for the legacy of the band that started Morrissey off, asks Sean Smith.

Long, critical discussion piece with usual tropes.
Gated article, but where there's a will...
Read in full:

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
‘usually tropes’ indeed. What year is this, that folks have to keep regurgitating the same line of thought, clickbait?

Anyway, why is everyone so concerned with ‘the legacy’ it’s not their work.
Given the fact you present as a self-appointed guardian of Morrissey's reputation, endlessly regurgitating gibberish theories claiming this C List twit of a singer is ineffably unknowable, this is an extremely challenging comment...but it's funny too!

You are beyond satire.

Last edited:
There's nothing stopping Steve Morrissey from explaining himself, explaining why he has a seemingly desperate need to make wilfully provocative statements about politics and culture whilst simultaneously claiming he's never voted for a political party even as he endorses a ludicrous fringe reactionary bunch of basket case British fantasists.

Why does a man who claims he's stopped watching the news contrive to habitually comment on incendiary news topics to boost his media profile?

It took a long time for the 'clueless consumers' he lambasted to wake up and realise he was an entirely insincere troll who didnt hesitate to mock those slaughtered by terrorism yet expected his own mawkish, unmanly displays of histrionic grief be respected and protected.

A one-trick show pony who crafted a persona that fooled...almost everybody...but not yours truly...The Smiths are already in the dustbin of cultural history. Once he croaks, the maggots will crawl from his corpse as the truth emerges.

A vile, reprehensible pseud posing as a Radical Artist: my FcUKin arse'n'all he is!

An absolute pillock.

BrummieBoy

There's nothing stopping Steve Morrissey from explaining himself, explaining why he has a seemingly desperate need to make wilfully provocative statements about politics and culture whilst simultaneously claiming he's never voted for a political party even as he endorses a ludicrous fringe reactionary bunch of basket case British fantasists.

Why does a man who claims he's stopped watching the news contrive to habitually comment on incendiary news topics to boost his media profile?

It took a long time for the 'clueless consumers' he lambasted to wake up and realise he was an entirely insincere troll who didnt hesitate to mock those slaughtered by terrorism yet expected his own mawkish, unmanly displays of histrionic grief be respected and protected.

A one-trick show pony who crafted a persona that fooled...almost everybody...but not yours truly...The Smiths are already in the dustbin of cultural history. Once he croaks, the maggots will crawl from his corpse as the truth emerges.

A vile, reprehensible pseud posing as a Radical Artist: my FcUKin arse'n'all he is!

An absolute pillock.

BrummieBoy
How did you end up on this site if you never liked Morrissey?

Obviously, being English I am used to the bitchy bitter snipping of day to day life and the revolting British media if you can hurt someone, then you may as well. If there is elbow room to say something nasty then elbow away
M is also English (although that is news to some on here) and is also used to it and in truth its a part of us all.
However, there are limits. When you move away from The United Kingdom, even for six months, you really see how unneeded it all is, how limiting (you also see how lucky you are to be born there, rather than say Shitsvile, Florida or in a South American backwater
The sad thing is this was timed ,
M is doing cruel world, he had kept his mouth shut enough, for some to forget what comes out of it , he had some nice press about his concerts , he has a single and lp out soon (the lp has had rave reviews from everyone I know who has heard it)
So what do they do , plunge the knife, stick in the boot.Boring

First things first:

1. M being English by birth is no news to anyone in here.

2. No. M will never get used to the UK media war waged against him.

3. I am South American and love my country and our culture. When you attack places that are the homeland to other people, unnecessarily and tastelessly, you are in fact doing the exact same thing as the type of media that you are criticising do: put a label on someone, some place, some thing out of prejudice and not of real knowledge.

But, I can agree with you when you say the article was timed. An evil move by evil people designed solely to hurt Morrissey.

PS: I'm repeating the above comment to correct two words since I couldn't edit them.

The title is worse than the article, but it is still a poor piece of journalis.

The emotional impact And the depth of the Smiths were so strong and unique at the time, it created a bond and attachment that can never be severed. We can have intellectual debates about what constitutes great music, and what can ruin that greatness (if anything can), but music is also partly a very personal experienc. It can be a matter of hearing the music and / or the words when you needed them the most, and this is what bands will be remembered for.

An absolute pillock.

BrummieBoy

Trolling.

To quote The Soup Nazi as a witness:

No. Next Question.

Stupid theme for an article. Unless you can go back in time you can't alter the genius of The Smiths and their jaw-dropping brilliant music. Yet another witless woke wretch trying to rewrite history because they can't stand the present which they helped make with their penchant for outrage and spineless solipsism.
And it's a question that gets asked every 6 to 9 months so not only is a stupid theme it's not even a rip-off of a rip-off at this point. He's now doing Journalism Karaoke.

Obviously, being English I am used to the bitchy bitter snipping of day to day life and the revolting British media if you can hurt someone, then you may as well. If there is elbow room to say something nasty then elbow away
M is also English (although that is news to some on here) and is also used to it and in truth its a part of us all.
However, there are limits. When you move away from The United Kingdom, even for six months, you really see how unneeded it all is, how limiting (you also see how lucky you are to be born there, rather than say Shitsvile, Florida or in a South American backwater)
The sad thing is this was timed , M is doing cruel world, he had kept his mouth shut enough, for some to forget what comes out of it , he had some nice press about his concerts , he has a single and lp out soon (the lp has had rave reviews from everyone I know who has heard it)
So what do they do , plunge the knife, stick in the boot.Boring
Serious question.. who has heard it besides SER and Chad Smith? What did they say?

Morrissey started himself off. Johnny Marr was lucky to find someone to enliven his, admittedly brilliant, but repetitive riffs.

ENOUGH OF THIS. IT’S NOT ORIGINAL, NOT THOUGHT-PROVOKING, NOT IN ANY WAY CHALLENGING. Sorry for the caps, but still…

Maybe if Marr would stop shit talking Morrissey like the little cowardly worm he is, it wouldn't be so enticing to write these 'articles'. Marr is just as much the problem as the people writing this kind of thing. He is over, he just had a lackluster tour opening for Blondie, not even his own tour and according to all accounts, the audience went silent and still when he played his solo material. Stick a fork in him, he can't even perform Smiths songs properly we just saw Morrissey put that loser to shame. Morrissey is the Smiths, even when he is doing material from his vast and successful solo back catalog, Marr will never have that either.

An absolute pillock.

BrummieBoy
Speak for yourself

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom