In Sundays Irish Independent ( National Newspaper )

IndependentFAN

Is Morrissey a genius or a crank?

http://www.independent.ie/entertainm...k-2834805.html

What's eating Morrissey? Aside from the dog that reportedly took a chomp out of the bequiffed 80s indie godhead at the recent Hop Farm Festival in Britain, we mean. Always a bit of a contrarian, at 52 he is verging on full-blown grumpy old man.

Flailing from controversy to controversy, Morrissey has the air of someone determined to generate headlines, regardless of the long-term impact on his reputation........

Over the past few months, the blizzard of Moz-related imbroglios has been unrelenting. A curator of a popular Morrissey website was refused entry to one of his shows because of unkind comments posted about the singer. Audiences are reportedly being searched for meat products at his concerts to reduce the chance of haters pummeling him with sausages and ham (apparently, he won't object should you lob a quiche in his direction)........

Thank you for this article. To answer the question, I think he's both.

I also liked how the author presented his argument, and cited some interesting people.

Apologies for the wrong day...oops ! Yes, I liked the article - as an Irish fan, I liked the hinted suggestion of conflict between the British Nationalism and loyalty to the previous generation, the Irish blood, English heart perhaps ?

"For an Irish audience, perhaps, the most interesting thing about Morrissey has been his willingness to wrap himself in the Union Jack in a fashion that has left him open to the accusations of associating with Britain's Far Right.
It strikes us as strange that an artist whose Irishness bleeds through in so many ways -- his tireless cheerleading of bands from the old country, his love of Oscar Wilde, his stint in Dublin -- should be connected with extreme British nationalism ".

For my part, in the 80's, I adored the references to the English movies - Billy Liar, Diana Dors, Taste of Honey etc - mainly visual, sometimes lyrical. I think a lot of his Nationalism is cultural - which translates here. Having only seen 'himself' here, in Ireland - many times - I went to Dunoon, or 'the seaside town where everyday really is like Sunday' earlier this year, and there was definitely a different vibe. Not better, not worse - just different ! Anyway - loved the Joe Dolan footage played there, which was odd as no one in Dunoon appeared to recognize the well known Irish crooner. In reply to the authors question of crank or genius posed in the piece, I think he's just an artist and as such - does and says stuff. That's all ! That's what artists do, it's their job - and that's why they are not in a more PC profession, like medicine or teaching for example. Then, the trick is to let it hang there and let people react. Their reactions - good bad or indifferent are just that - their reactions !

Finally, to end my badly written ramble - I will quote Mr Stephen Patrick Morrissey from IMMA ( Irish Museum of Modern Art ) a few years back,

" Here we are at the Museum of Modern Art and indeed, I am Modern Art ".......nuf said !

Re:

Apologies for the wrong day...oops ! Yes, I liked the article - as an Irish fan, I liked the hinted suggestion of conflict between the British Nationalism and loyalty to the previous generation, the Irish blood, English heart perhaps ?

"For an Irish audience, perhaps, the most interesting thing about Morrissey has been his willingness to wrap himself in the Union Jack in a fashion that has left him open to the accusations of associating with Britain's Far Right.
It strikes us as strange that an artist whose Irishness bleeds through in so many ways -- his tireless cheerleading of bands from the old country, his love of Oscar Wilde, his stint in Dublin -- should be connected with extreme British nationalism ".

For my part, in the 80's, I adored the references to the English movies - Billy Liar, Diana Dors, Taste of Honey etc - mainly visual, sometimes lyrical. I think a lot of his Nationalism is cultural - which translates here. Having only seen 'himself' here, in Ireland - many times - I went to Dunoon, or 'the seaside town where everyday really is like Sunday' earlier this year, and there was definitely a different vibe. Not better, not worse - just different ! Anyway - loved the Joe Dolan footage played there, which was odd as no one in Dunoon appeared to recognize the well known Irish crooner. In reply to the authors question of crank or genius posed in the piece, I think he's just an artist and as such - does and says stuff. That's all ! That's what artists do, it's their job - and that's why they are not in a more PC profession, like medicine or teaching for example. Then, the trick is to let it hang there and let people react. Their reactions - good bad or indifferent are just that - their reactions !

Finally, to end my badly written ramble - I will quote Mr Stephen Patrick Morrissey from IMMA ( Irish Museum of Modern Art ) a few years back,

" Here we are at the Museum of Modern Art and indeed, I am Modern Art ".......nuf said !

facepalm-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom