In search for really sad music...

Last edited:
Codreanu: I've never heard Low's music before- that song you linked to was fantastic. What album would you recommend someone unfamiliar with them to pick up?
Long Division, from which "Shame" was taken, is classic Low and perhaps the best place to begin, although others might suggest the more accessible sounds of Things We Lost in the Fire. The Curtain Hits the Cast is another classic album that's something of a fan favourite. Secret Name is stunning and essential, though a little spotty. The 35 minute EP Songs for a Dead Pilot is the band at their most experimental and glacially morose. The last two releases (The Great Destroyer and Drums & Guns) are best avoided.

P.S. yes, they've covered The Smiths. ;)

Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me (single)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jiuxwa

514sj9.jpg
from 5:14 Fluoxytine Seagull Alcohol John Nicotine

Malcolm Middleton - Crappo the Clown

Malcolm Middleton - Cold Winter

Malcolm Middleton - Bring Down (excerpt)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Damien Rice and Ray LaMontagne covering "To Love Somebody".

steph,
hug.gif

I saw what you gave me but before I could listen, I got another beer. Sat and watched it with chills and tears in my eyes.
So sad, I'm happy :) Verklempt is the word :D

Thank you, I'm checking out some Ray stuff. And may I say how scruffilyfrinky Damien looks? Oh, I just did.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 4342

Frazier Chorus - Ray

my sister turned me on to this group

this is for you aubey RIP

prefer you dead, is very clever, in a twisted way

heres a quick taste NOW http://mozzbozz.vox.com/library/audio/6a00cdf3a7625fcb8f00e398d894180003.html

the whole cd http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5JJE6IMQ

1. Cloud 8
2. Heaven
3. We Love You
4. Never Wake Up
5. All The Air
6. Walking On Air
7. Nothing
8. The Telephone
9. Here He Comes Again
10. Prefer You Dead

Wow, I bought this album!
Totally forgotten about it because I asked one of my friends to keep all my CDs and vinyls when I decided to return to UK.
Thanks for reminding me of Frazier Chorus, drifter. :)

My choice is Cat Power's "You Are Free".
I was reading a novel "No Longer Human" when listening to the album that was very masochistic.

Last edited:
i cant decdide if antony anerd the johnsons are depressing or sad? sometimes i think hjis lyrics are hilarious thoughj.

steph,
hug.gif

I saw what you gave me but before I could listen, I got another beer. Sat and watched it with chills and tears in my eyes.
So sad, I'm happy :) Verklempt is the word :D

Thank you, I'm checking out some Ray stuff. And may I say how scruffilyfrinky Damien looks? Oh, I just did.

Ray LaMontagne's music is gut wrenching. His story is fascinating and sad. He's very neurotic and introverted. He's given shows in the dark or with his back turned towards the audience because he can't face them. I've read where too many say that idiosyncrasies and all his shows are life changing. His first album, Trouble is great and his sophomore album, Till the Sun Turns Black is almost as good.

http://profile.imeem.com/jkzCDvX/playlist/cnQwXa4o/ray_lamontagne_music_playlist/

Jeff Buckleys version of Leonard Cohn's Hallelujah on his 'Grace' is beautiful, you could say sad but I find it motivational like Morrissey and alot of Cure stuff.
I do enjoy the videos posted here which give new leads to artists I have not discovered.
Thanks guys.

Jeff Buckleys version of Leonard Cohn's Hallelujah on his 'Grace' is beautiful, you could say sad but I find it motivational like Morrissey and alot of Cure stuff.
I do enjoy the videos posted here which give new leads to artists I have not discovered.
Thanks guys.

His music is beautiful music that I love dearly. His version of Hallelujah is angelic. I just find it sad in that he left us too soon. Some of his music was eerily prophetic.

Have you listened to River of Dope?

You could have been New Orleans
But you’ll just be Hollywood for the rest of your life
But you’ll just be Hollywood for the rest of your life

I saw us drowning with our neck in a rope
She was covered handy by the river of dope
I guess it caught her fancy just to be by his side
She had no answer when she tried to get high
Turn to the prison of the camera’s strobe
Fame is religion by the river of dope
My brain is tired of how the woman can cope
It just don’t matter to the river of dope

The door’s no longer open for my name on their breath
So long I’ve waited for the coming of death
Will I be united with my innocence gone
Will I burn to cinders as the river rolls on
Hmmm…river, we sleep in your mud.
You give us poison, when we drink your blood
I saw your woman with a seven-foot rope
Hang your dirty laundry by the river of dope
I watched your mother abandon her hope
And she watched you drowning by the river of dope
It felt so damn special to be damaged and free
To have her hairs not feel you. Look in my eyes and you’ll see
That I flow with the river, and I’m a slave to his song
and I will drown forever where so many have gone
Goodbye you people who have abandoned your hope
Parade in early morning to the river of dope
Hmm, yeah the river of dope

WoW! how spooky's that! I had never really listened to the lyric's before.
Thanks for taking the trouble t post them.
Have you heard the version by Jamie Cullan DVD live at Blenheim Palace of 'Lover You Should Have Come Over' a Jeff Buckley song.

I hadn't heard of Jamie Cullum before but I do like his voice. He did a pretty good job of covering the song.

Oh dear, are you trying to be provocative or just reveal your tunnel vision. I see you are a senior member here. And I have just joined so I will say no more. Your outburst speaks for itself.
Jamie Cullan live at Blenheim Palace is a DVD that really shows his talent as a musician.
He does not claim to be a 'jazz man' of any kind.
But does introduce people to some fabulous songs contemporary and old classic's.
He is Englishman and if you have never heard of him check this DVD out.

:guitar:

Oh dear, are you trying to be provocative or just reveal your tunnel vision. I see you are a senior member here. And I have just joined so I will say no more. Your outburst speaks for itself.
Jamie Cullan live at Blenheim Palace is a DVD that really shows his talent as a musician.
He does not claim to be a 'jazz man' of any kind.
But does introduce people to some fabulous songs contemporary and old classic's.
He is Englishman and if you have never heard of him check this DVD out.

:guitar:

Of course I've heard of him, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to form an opinion. He's backed by Michael Parkinson, that stalwart of cutting edge music. He's the light jazz equivalent of Dido or James Blunt. Insipid doesn't cover it.

Back
Top Bottom