In Conversation with Johnny Marr - Fender YouTube

Jeff sends the link:

In Conversation with Johnny Marr | The Great Escape Festival 2018 - Fender YouTube
Published on May 19, 2018
Watch as Johnny Marr discusses all things guitar with Shaun Keaveny at the 2018 Great Escape Festival, Brighton, UK.

Smiths selections include "This Charming Man", "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", "Girl Afraid", "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others", "The Headmaster Ritual", "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore".

UPDATE June 4:

Posted by an anonymous person:

add "accept yourself" to the smiths song tags

Last edited:
Thanks for the clip, just great how Johnny takes us back the the early Smiths songs, yes I know there is lot of footage, but having his own Fender type says it all

When I hear Johnny Marr play a Smiths song with one instrument being his guitar I can actually hear every other instrument including Morrissey's vocals on some other plane. Like you can hear the rest of the song as a ghost while his guitar resurrects the other parts just for a brief moment and then he stops and the rest of the ensemble is laid back to rest. Just f***ing beautiful.

Really enjoyed that. Lots of interesting explanations about how he wrote specific riffs/songs. So special to hear those guitar parts played properly, even after all this time, they're just mesmerising. Also there's a lovely bit around 27.45 where he talks briefly about the writing process with Morrissey.

When I hear Johnny Marr play a Smiths song with one instrument being his guitar I can actually hear every other instrument including Morrissey's vocals on some other plane. Like you can hear the rest of the song as a ghost while his guitar resurrects the other parts just for a brief moment and then he stops and the rest of the ensemble is laid back to rest. Just f***ing beautiful.
Gorgeously put.

That was great, really liked the piece where he played That Joke, he just seems to glide around that fretboard.

:sleeping: Just a bunch of nonsense about the chicka chicka riff. "I play to my strength" thats why I have the chicka chicka riff on the Spiderman song.doh:

What language is he speaking, Sadiq makes more sense.:turban:
Is that Gaelic?

Really enjoyed that. Lots of interesting explanations about how he wrote specific riffs/songs. So special to hear those guitar parts played properly, even after all this time, they're just mesmerising. Also there's a lovely bit around 27.45 where he talks briefly about the writing process with Morrissey.
Yeah I wanted more of that but I guess we should feel lucky he mentioned Morrissey at all really.

WO, I just noticed the golden brown hair earflaps!! Whats up with that>maybe a way the Comet will recognize him when it lands:crazy: Like the movie Close Encounters>?

:sleeping: Just a bunch of nonsense about the chicka chicka riff. "I play to my strength" thats why I have the chicka chicka riff on the Spiderman song.doh:

Is that Gaelic?

The letter K doesn’t exist in the Gaelic/Irish alphabet. Neither does j, q, v, w, x, y or z

I love that both of my favourite guitarists, Johnny and Mick Ronson, are/were big into playing to the song without any show offy bollocks. Also makes me happy that Johnny's favourite riff is also mine. Usually when music is explained it makes it a bit shitter but with Johnny it's just as great.

I feel like I need to own one of those guitars. When they properly do them in blue.

"addicted to melody" Me too! He was my dealer back in the day. That guitar strap though is a b*stard! It refuses to stay put. I wonder if he named it Morrissey. ;)

This is the best thread that's been on this site in a long time. Full of positive comments and good vibes. Could listen to JM playing guitar all day long.

Reckon I am so fookin sick of seeing John Maher's mug all over So-Low. Reckon he looks like Professor Severus Snape in nn n it. Stop dying your hair m8 and just shave it all off bro so you can look like all your NBA idols when they come over to your house in Portland, Oregon and shoot hoops in your backyard. Craig Gannon and Alain Whyte were better guitarists.

The only people who care about an older person dying their hair, are people who don't like feeling pressured to do it themselves. It's like older people being confused by the youthful figure of one of their peers: "They have to be faking it."

There's nothing attractive, or honorable about having gray hair. If that's your attitude, then stop dressing with dignity while you're at it. It's hair coloring. It's not a face-lift.

Anyway, Marr is the kind of person, and sustainable talent that Morrissey wished he could be, but his craft is at the mercy of others.

As Morrissey continues to adopt the character of an oblivious autist with an axe to grind, Marr continues to beam a sense of well adjusted humanity.

This is how you should grow old: With jet black hair, and a winning personality.

Is that Gaelic?
See, but that kind of outsized nonsense just outs you as a troll. You're probably not vegan, and you're probably not a Morrissey fan.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom