In “Dear God Please Help Me” does the “I” character (possibly MOZ himself) have sex?

In “Dear God Please Help Me” does the “I” character (possibly MOZ himself) have sex?

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
Spin.jpg

The conversation is with God, correct?

Now I'm spreading your legs
with mine in-between
dear God if I could, I would help you

So why does Moz sing your legs and not his legs as in the same person who "he motions to me
with his hand on my knee..."

Is he having two conversations or oscillating between past and present tense or being purposefully vague or what?

Re: In “Dear God Please Help Me” does the “I” character (possibly MOZ himself) have s

Is he having two conversations or oscillating between past and present tense or being purposefully vague or what?
Everything of the above. Wow, that song really struck you! :)

Re: In “Dear God Please Help Me” does the “I” character (possibly MOZ himself) have sex?

Yes, he's having sex with God. anyone who don't want to hear a song about that? Really nice idea.

Re: In “Dear God Please Help Me” does the “I” character (possibly MOZ himself) have s

I believe it to be another red herring.
Read: I want it to be another red herring.

Face it - Morrissey's gay, has had lots of gay sex with gay men and is now finally writing about it in gay songs.

It could be a song about a sexual awakening, but most likely it is a song about a spiritual awakening. There exists a writing tradition of using sexual metaphors to describe religious rapture.

teresa2.jpg

Read: I want it to be another red herring.

Face it - Morrissey's gay, has had lots of gay sex with gay men and is now finally writing about it in gay songs.

I think the reason you've gone off him is because he hasn't conformed and "come out" as gay. It's the only reason you liked him in the first place. There's a lesson there. Don't invest too much personally in your heroes. They won't do what you want them to do.

Dazzak, the only problem is that in the past, when people post morrissey is straight, you charged them with being homophobic. it's like you want morrissey to be on your side so badly when really it shouldn't matter to me, you, or anyone else. Does the idea of morrissey being gay make you feel more comfortable? i'm not trying to attack you but lets face it, there's been tons of suggestive lyrics and statements over the years--past and present--to suggest morrissey can go either way. so if anything, he could be bisexual...but i wouldn't even say that and settle for the verdict not being out (because even the lyrics could not be about him directly...we jsut don't know), nor should the verdict be out. and i do not care really. honestly, who cares.

Last edited:

That's fantastic!!
Where can i buy this painting!?

That illustration was featured in April 2006 issue of Spin Magazine. I had technical problems with the host site at the time when I posted it as a news item, but for those interested in the illustration and the interview can view it here:

the answer is in the Spin article posted above......
it IS sexual re-awakening........there is a really good Q&A that answers many of the simple questions that we may be digging too deep for an answer to.

DEAR GOD!!!

I agree with the part in BOLD.....the other is just your opinion....you big queen, you!

the answer is in the Spin article posted above......
it IS sexual re-awakening........there is a really good Q&A that answers many of the simple questions that we may be digging too deep for an answer to.

Trouble is, he probably then went out and did another interview where he completely contradicted that.

Re: In “Dear God Please Help Me"

Dazzak, the only problem is that in the past, when people post morrissey is straight, you charged them with being homophobic. it's like you want morrissey to be on your side so badly when really it shouldn't matter to me, you, or anyone else. Does the idea of morrissey being gay make you feel more comfortable? i'm not trying to attack you but lets face it, there's been tons of suggestive lyrics and statements over the years--past and present--to suggest morrissey can go either way. so if anything, he could be bisexual...but i wouldn't even say that and settle for the verdict not being out (because even the lyrics could not be about him directly...we jsut don't know), nor should the verdict be out. and i do not care really. honestly, who cares.

Well said.

Deep Muddled Thought of The Day

The conversation is with God, correct?

Now I'm spreading your legs
with mine in-between
dear God if I could, I would help you

So why does Moz sing your legs and not his legs as in the same person who "he motions to me
with his hand on my knee..."

This is a tough one for me to grasp as well. When I look at Morrissey's overall work, I am intrigued by his narrative voice. In past interviews, he used to describe his songwriting as "his diary set to music" and yet it is difficult to distinguish whether the "I" is himself, or someone else, or himself using another's voice in some of his songs. Alot of his songwriting ideas at one time were inspired from television, books and movies that he liked, even as recent as the song "Malajusted", when he seems to be describing a scene from "The L-Shaped Room" with perhaps some of his own personal experiences thrown in.

I've come to the conclusion that Morrissey's perception of what is real and what is fantasy is separated by a thinner barrier than with most people. As far as "Dear God" is concerned, I believe that he is describing a spiritual experience (with sex used as a metaphor) where at one point, he arrives at a point where the past and present have become one and have ceased to matter?

What the hell has that man been up to?:p

“Dear God Please Help Me”

it's funny how everyone seems to think the song-writing process of an artist is: I just ate a veggie burger - so now I'll write 'dear god that burger tasted good' - or Morrissey just got laid and now writes about kegs betweens his legs. Weeeelll - I think writers are storytellers - and the song is most likely not about himself. Sounds more like it's about a priest to me.

I tend to interpet it as a "What if.." song. I can just imagine Morrissey walking alone around Rome and having all sorts of weird daydreams and ideas.

So it's not really about him or not about him, but it could be about him and he's speculating about what he'd do if it was.

Back
Top Bottom