I'm waiting for Apollo 22nd May 09 bootleg

So the reason people can't listen to a gig they want is because five years time someone else might get a hold of a slightly less-quality version. Do the original flac files get deleted after a while then, and after a certain period people can never access them again? Or is it just a weak argument?

Files get corrupted, hard drives fail. Spreading the original files far and wide is a way of hoping to preserve them. Posting MP3s of the same files is a sure fire way of subverting this.

I'm very much enjoying this recording, it's marvellous and I thank with all my heart the original uploader. However I'm not concerned with preventing other people enjoying the same things simply because of a few FLAC Evangelicals.

No-one is trying to prevent anyone hearing the recording - the request was that the files not be converted for sharing. Send cds of FLACs, MP3s or audio through the post, but please don't post lossy files online where they propogate so easily and threaten the digital preservation of the music.

I know some people have no interest in these matters; for many, music isn't a passion, merely a disposable commodity. And I'm sure many people are so selfish that the idea of preserving the quality they enjoyed for others is of little concern.

Nevertheless, if someone had gone to great effort and expense to bring me a great recording (for free, no less!) I think the very least you can do is try to respect the one very simple request they make.

But then again, there are a lot of very rude people out there.

Files get corrupted, hard drives fail. Spreading the original files far and wide is a way of hoping to preserve them. Posting MP3s of the same files is a sure fire way of subverting this.

No-one is trying to prevent anyone hearing the recording - the request was that the files not be converted for sharing. Send cds of FLACs, MP3s or audio through the post, but please don't post lossy files online where they propogate so easily and threaten the digital preservation of the music.

I know some people have no interest in these matters; for many, music isn't a passion, merely a disposable commodity (dw1804: first of all, get off the high horse and stop being so revoltingly snobbish). And I'm sure many people are so selfish that the idea of preserving the quality they enjoyed for others is of little concern.

Nevertheless, if someone had gone to great effort and expense to bring me a great recording (for free, no less!) I think the very least you can do is try to respect the one very simple request they make.

But then again, there are a lot of very rude people out there.

For many others music is a passion, just not one whereby their entire life and enjoyment of it is based on strict ideals that not everyone else has the money nor drive to live by.

You seem to think that bootlegs are as rare as they used to be. They're simply not. In Morrissey's case there is a website where you can get pretty much any available gig, whenever you want in the highest possible quality. Just because I have it in a different format doesn't mean I take anything from YOUR flac file.

I am enjoying it. I'm so very, very glad to have this gig in my collection. I love the action, the audience and the words. The .MP3 extension is not something that is concerning me so far.

I'll stand by my two main points: think of the mp3s as a bootleg of the bootleg it's a copy of someone else's copy of an original, and that the flac files will be around forever, just as an MP3 version a CD version, a AAC version, a handwritten version, a memorised version and a wrong version and as many other formatted versions as you can imagine. If people want it, and they have access to the internet, they'll find it. It's not the dark ages anymore - it's awfully easy.

You seem to think that bootlegs are as rare as they used to be. They're simply not. In Morrissey's case there is a website where you can get pretty much any available gig, whenever you want in the highest possible quality.
If people want it, and they have access to the internet, they'll find it. It's not the dark ages anymore - it's awfully easy.

But this isn't always going to be the case: torrents become seederless after a few weeks, maybe months if you're lucky. Rapidshare etc accounts expire or are deleted, websites disappear or even lose their archives.

The best chance of preserving things in their best possible quality is to spread them as far as possible in their highest quality and disseminating a lower quality, quicker-to-download version will always compromise this.

Not everyone cares about this, of course I realize that. If you get what you want, who cares about the bigger picture or if you might be making someone who did you a good turn wonder why they bothered, right?

Yousef, many thanks for this great recording, it is truly appreciated, certainly by myself and no doubt many other Morrissey fans. I grabbed it from Dime and flac is fine but unfortunately you are pissing against the wind hoping that it won't get traded in MP3 as there are a lot of very lazy self centred people out there who just want everything quick and easy without having to work for it or respecting the wishes of the people who have gone out on a limb to bring this recording to them.

Once again many thanks for this momento of a great night.

Ta for the kind words, Tilly Flood.

I know it's pissing in the wind for the most part, but if helps just one person understand the need to protect digital recordings, then a tiny bit of good has been done :)

Wow! what a great recording, thanks so much for this! Does anyone have info on what it was recorded with?

Back
Top Bottom