I'm upset with England right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
waiiiiit

so first you work yourself way up with this trip. making thread upon thread full of questions, all anxious, wanting to be prepared for every tiny thing that might happen. then you post another thread about how everything is wonderful over there and you're having a great time. now you're complaining that someone called you fat and England isnt all tea and crimpets, and that this stuff wouldnt have happened in America and that people are too loud over there and curse too much. have you never taken the subway??? uhhh you SURE you're from DC???

you need to CHILL OUT. it's ashame you couldnt have just enjoyed your trip w/out worrying about every tiny little thing before and while you're there. f***, I haven't been off the east coast of the US. I've never gotten the opportunity to travel to another country like you have. I think you should be grateful that you've had this opportunity... and with your husband, someone you love.

you need to take some valium, have a glass of wine, and chill out, girl.

I didn't think it was all tea and crumpets at all. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's nearly exactly as I thought it would be, except that I had believed all the America bashing.

And yes, much of this would have happened in America. You're missing my point! Although, the fat-bashing is out of control here. It's bad in America, but over here it's... it's strange. The two people who insulted me to my face were some of the most unattractive humans I've ever seen. I really had bought into the idea that English people were a little more polite. I was wrong.

This wasn't an England bash. It was a hypocrite bash.

Sadly, those American myths are all fact.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible time with your standards so high, and your spirits so low...

You can't stereotype a country based on one vacation. Or ever for that matter. Granted the Brits are brash, outrageous and free ;) but don't we all pick on eachother? Everyone? It's the way of the world.

You wouldn't stand for a Brit reacting to America/ns in a post like this. I can't recall who did it once, but we pounced on him. :mad:

I didn't think it was all tea and crumpets at all. I don't know why people keep saying this. It's nearly exactly as I thought it would be, except that I had believed all the America bashing.

And yes, much of this would have happened in America. You're missing my point! Although, the fat-bashing is out of control here. It's bad in America, but over here it's... it's strange. The two people who insulted me to my face were some of the most unattractive humans I've ever seen. I really had bought into the idea that English people were a little more polite. I was wrong.

and two stupid kids ruined your WHOLE trip?! thats ridiculous

Sadly, those American myths are all fact.

I'm sorry you had such a horrible time with your standards so high, and your spirits so low...

You can't stereotype a country based on one vacation. Or ever for that matter. Granted the Brits are brash, outrageous and free ;) but don't we all pick on eachother? Everyone? It's the way of the world.

You wouldn't stand for a Brit reacting to America/ns in a post like this. I can't recall who did it once, but we pounced on him. :mad:

Those American myths aren't facts at all!

Also, I am NOT stereotyping England! I must not have written this clearly because the interpretations you guys are coming up with are just not at all what I said. I said that it's not as the English portray it in comparison with the U.S.

Maybe you're not tuned into the harsh humour that we have over here. The majority of the time when someone's 'bashing' America it's done in jest, tongue and cheek. It's similar thing with the North/South banter we have here, mostly people are just having a joke.

Last edited:
I knew you wouldn't stand for that....:p

At one point the Scottish border went to Morcambe Bay, but then if only me auntie had bollocks she'd be me uncle..:)

How are you this glorious evening?

'if only me auntie had bollocks she'd be me uncle' HAHA! I haven't heard that turn-of-phrase before. Classic, I shall be nicking that!

I'm fine but strangly patriotic at the moment. I think it's because I am reading Pies & predjudice by Stuart Maconie. If you ain't read it. DO. :D

Scotland is more my county than England as I can almost spit over the border. People who don't visit Scotland and (proper) Northern Englishland are missing out. I miss the days of the border reivers as all your scottish arses would be MINE! :D

Last edited:
and two stupid kids ruined your WHOLE trip?! thats ridiculous

No, no. My entire trip isn't ruined at all. I've had some great times here that I'll cherish forever.

Those two kids did ruin two of my days here though. And this last one just happened about two hours ago, so I'm still feeling hurt.

But what you're hearing is my pent-up anger over alllll the many America-bashing comments on solo over the years. I bought into it and I was wrong and I found it out the hard way. This is all I'm saying.

Maybe you're not tuned into the harsh humour that we have over here. The majority of the time when someone's 'bashing' America it's done in jest, tongue and cheek. It's similar thing with the North/South banter we have here, mostly people are just having a joke.

Not at all. I've heard that kind of humor. I know what you're speaking of. No. I'm talking about the VENOM I hear on solo regarding Americans. It often happens anonymously on the main page and it's often related to where Morrissey happens to be at the moment.

I'm very tuned-in to English humor. I'm a reluctant Anglophile. Everyone I've ever admired has been English, so there's plenty I adore about English culture. I grew up on it. I don't even watch American TV. I watch English television on YouTube. I don't find most American humor funny, to be honest. Only English humor really does it for me. SO, yes, I get that it's sometimes humor. This isn't what I'm speaking of.

I can't believe you think this is what I'm saying. I had no notions of hat tipping and "good lady." I'm not attacking England for the things I mentioned. I'm attacking the English people who attack Americans!

am i the only saying that here....NO!

your whole post was about the 'myths'....your myths, by the sounds of it.

And, no. I won't toughen up.
then stop moaning and enjoy the rest of your trip, i didn't let a rude American woman spoil my trip in Vegas or the annoying drug dealer in NYC.Some people are rude, no matter where you are.

Honestly, England is much as I thought it would be except for all the unhealthy food and the rudeness. Otherwise, it's exactly as I imagined it. It's almost exactly like America, to be very honest. The reason I had these misconceptions about the food and the rudeness is entirely because of how often English people remind me that Americans eat like pigs and are rude as hell in comparison.

I believed it.

what unhealthy food? Did you think it be all salads and sandwiches with the crusts cut off?

A few people were rude to you out of 55 million who live here:rolleyes:

I can vouch for the fact Americans don't get out dry humour as I worked with many from all over the US. I used to see the hurt in their eyes if I took the piss. I really didn't mean to hurt them :(. I hear a lot of Americans take the things Morrissey says and the way he is too seriously as well.

I'm very sorry that you were called names and that you are ill, but I think you are overreacting. I have never been out of my state. I've never went anywhere nice. Ever. You should count yourself very lucky that you were able to take this trip.

Not to mention, the only American bashing I've really seen here is about our politics which, unfortunately, do suck. Are all of the comments deserved? Not at all. But you're acting like we are just completely stigmatized because we are American, which is not the case at all. I'm from freaking Texas and no one has made fun of me (besides a few harmless jokes) about it.

I think that you did have an inaccurate view of England or you wouldn't be so shocked now.

'if only me auntie had bollocks she'd be me uncle' HAHA! I haven't heard that turn-of-phrase before. Classic, I shall be nicking that!

I'm fine but strangly patriotic at the moment. I think it's because I am reading Pies & predjudice by Robert Maconie. If you ain't read it. DO. :D

Scotland is more my county than England as I can almost spit over the border. People who don't visit Scotland and (proper) Northern Englishland are missing out. I miss the days of the border reivers as all you scottish arses would be MINE! :D

You would just have to talk in your lovely Gerordie accent and my arse would be yours anyway....:o

Do you mean Stuart Maconie? That would be worth reading then - that guy shows up on loads of stuff about Morrissey, so he has a certain seal of approval...:)

That quote came from The Office. The UK version, the ONLY true version..:)

No, no. My entire trip isn't ruined at all. I've had some great times here that I'll cherish forever.

Those two kids did ruin two of my days here though. And this last one just happened about two hours ago, so I'm still feeling hurt.

But what you're hearing is my pent-up anger over alllll the many America-bashing comments on solo over the years. I bought into it and I was wrong and I found it out the hard way. This is all I'm saying.

Sorry that it happened, but every country has its embarrassing elements.

You've even got me defending the English now. I'll never forgive you for this...:tears::p

No, they weren't. You came to England expecting it to be a nation of foppish, genteel Hugh Grant clones, tea and cakes and polite pitter-patter, a would-be Morrissey on every corner, and you were disappointed :rolleyes:

Wait...you guys aren't really like that? :(

I'm fine but strangly patriotic at the moment. I think it's because I am reading Pies & predjudice by Robert Maconie. If you ain't read it. DO. :D

Scotland is more my county than England as I can almost spit over the border. People who don't visit Scotland and (proper) Northern Englishland are missing out. I miss the days of the border reivers as all your scottish arses would be MINE! :D

mozzette
You have greatly offended me several times for calling Mancunians / Lancastrians etc as Midlanders. You have ruined my day.:mad:

PS Yes it is Stuart Maconie and not Robert. Have you read page 110 yet?:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

You would just have to talk in your lovely Gerordie accent and my arse would be yours anyway....:o

Do you mean Stuart Maconie? That would be worth reading then - that guy shows up on loads of stuff about Morrissey, so he has a certain seal of approval...:)
Oh hell yeah Stuart! You can tell I'm knackered. I'm going to edit that.
It's a great book and really funny.

I think in those days, your arse would be displayed on a pole outside my village :D. I still find it odd how you find our accent nice :o Good though.

Not at all. I've heard that kind of humor. I know what you're speaking of. No. I'm talking about the VENOM I hear on solo regarding Americans. It often happens anonymously on the main page and it's often related to where Morrissey happens to be at the moment.

I'm very tuned-in to English humor. I'm a reluctant Anglophile. Everyone I've ever admired has been English, so there's plenty I adore about English culture. I grew up on it. I don't even watch American TV. I watch English television on YouTube. I don't find most American humor funny, to be honest. Only English humor really does it for me. SO, yes, I get that it's sometimes humor. This isn't what I'm speaking of.

Oh, I've never really encountered any 'venom' on here. If it's on solo you say you hear all this, why do you use that in judging us English, as you've said some people you've actually met have been lovely. You should enjoy your trip rather than, fueling your disbelief from comments you've heard on here. And, you say all the people you have ever admired have been English, surely that shows we're not all a bad bunch who love to bash America ;)

I can vouch for the fact Americans don't get out dry humour as I worked with many from all over the US. I used to see the hurt in their eyes if I took the piss. I really didn't mean to hurt them :(. I hear a lot of Americans take the things Morrissey says and the way he is too seriously as well.

yeah, some (not all, may I add) don't get the sarcasm, dry, piss-taking mentality, I once took the piss out of an American who was a relative of my friend, he took it seriously and decided to call me a 'total ass-wipe', I thought that was hilarious! :D

mozzette
You have greatly offended me several times for calling Mancunians / Lancastrians etc as Midlanders. You have ruined my day.:mad:

PS Yes it is Stuart Maconie and not Robert. Have you read page 110 yet?:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Aw I'm just jesting :p Your northern but you are south of me, so I can officially call everyone south 'southern' ;)

Ps not yet, dont say owt...

Last edited:
yeah, some (not all, may I add) don't get the sarcasm, dry, piss-taking mentality, I once took the piss out of an American who was a relative of my friend, he took it seriously and decided to call me a 'total ass-wipe', I thought that was hilarious! :D

"ass-wipe" is a great insult. I should use it more often. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom