"I'm Throwing My Arms Around the Baby Seals in Canada"

Any way we can help out on costs? For providing the audio for what was probably one of the best set lists of the tour, you shouldn't have to pay for that all out-of-pocket.

Any way we can help out on costs? For providing the audio for what was probably one of the best set lists of the tour, you shouldn't have to pay for that all out-of-pocket.

Heh, that's what Mrs. NRitH thinks, too :p. Thanks for the offer, but thieves' honor stipulates that nobody makes money on this stuff. I'll be pissed if I see my recording show up on eBay, but what can I do?

As for the actual equipment, if any of you are interested in doing this yourself, here's my setup, based on recommendations from robert and others:

Hardware:
Samson Zoom H-2 digital recorder
Sound Professionals in-ear binaural microphones
Sound Professionals microphone battery module
2Gb SD card
Software (on Mac OS X):
RogueAmoeba Fission (to split tracks, normalize the volume, & convert WAV to AIFF)
iTunes (AIFF > MP3)

I wound up not using the in-ear mikes or battery module for this recording. I used them the other night to record Sinead O'Connor, but they recorded more crowd noise than Sinead herself. Besides, with that battery module, it was a pain to keep the cords straight. But the microphones were better suited to the seated concert-hall setting that Sinead played; for the mosh pit GA floor at Hammerstein, it made sense to just hold the recorder up in the air along with the hundreds of cameras and cell phones.

Sounds good to me. Thank you very much. New Yorkers are great. Well, three of them. THANK YOU.

well, it is truly spectacular. your efforts, i mean. i'm assuming the recording is too but i still have another 3.5 hrs of downloading to go. grrr.

DUDE!! I was here for this show and the last show...this was amazing. SO GOOD to relive it ALREADY!!!

that Tux was insane...
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS BOOTLEG!

:D Wonderful job....thanks for sharing....and thanks for filling us in on the equipment needed to make a quality bootleg. The next show I attend I will be prepared!!!

Heh, that's what Mrs. NRitH thinks, too :p. Thanks for the offer, but thieves' honor stipulates that nobody makes money on this stuff. I'll be pissed if I see my recording show up on eBay, but what can I do?

As for the actual equipment, if any of you are interested in doing this yourself, here's my setup, based on recommendations from robert and others:

Hardware:
Samson Zoom H-2 digital recorder
Sound Professionals in-ear binaural microphones
Sound Professionals microphone battery module
2Gb SD card
Software (on Mac OS X):
RogueAmoeba Fission (to split tracks, normalize the volume, & convert WAV to AIFF)
iTunes (AIFF > MP3)

I wound up not using the in-ear mikes or battery module for this recording. I used them the other night to record Sinead O'Connor, but they recorded more crowd noise than Sinead herself. Besides, with that battery module, it was a pain to keep the cords straight. But the microphones were better suited to the seated concert-hall setting that Sinead played; for the mosh pit GA floor at Hammerstein, it made sense to just hold the recorder up in the air along with the hundreds of cameras and cell phones.

I was simply amazed that you smuggled all of this in there. How DID you smuggle all of this in there? I never really asked you.

I was simply amazed that you smuggled all of this in there. How DID you smuggle all of this in there? I never really asked you.

Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it'd be. The recorder is about as big as a pack of 100s smokes, but about an inch thick (if it were thinner, I'd sneak it in inside a cigarette pack). The microphones are the same size as earbud headphones. The battery pack is a 9-volt in an open holder with a 5" lead. It actually looks like a bomb component. All of these fit in a flimsy cloth bag that came with the H2, and I just put the bag in one of my coat pockets. I even got patted down at the door before I could stuff the bag down my pants, and even though the security guy patted that pocket, he didn't check it. I couldn't believe it. At the Sinead concert earlier in the week, I did stuff it down my pants. Since I never tuck in my shirts, the bulge was well hidden. Kinda hard to walk, though. (Corrissey knows what I'm talking about.) The hardest thing was to act normal, and not nervous, since I'm such a pussy about these things.

As for the software, I didn't have to worry about sneaking that in.

Tags
awesome
Back
Top Bottom