I'm stuck in a johnny marr trap

mozully

i keep mine hidden
just a generall question not about a smiths song but about writing my own. I like to write johnny marr typre guitar lines (I now most people will say it cant be done) but they are all begining to sound very similar. anybody got any pointers on how to add a bit more variety into my playing

:)
It can indeed be done -- I should know!
Well for what little information you've given me all I can say is that you could try experimenting with different strumming and picking tempoes, noticing such differences as between 'Rubber Ring' and 'Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want'. Waltz-like tempoes contrast with more punk-esque rocking beats and soon the humdrum of jingle-jangle pop is worn away and you can create something truly original. If you're recording, surely you know the benefit you can gain by overlaying guitar parts -- infinite possibilities if you have an acquired knowledge of scales and arpeggio variations, which surely you must if you can write with Johnny Marr in mind. :)

just a generall question not about a smiths song but about writing my own. I like to write johnny marr typre guitar lines (I now most people will say it cant be done) but they are all begining to sound very similar. anybody got any pointers on how to add a bit more variety into my playing

if you have a spare guitar, try putting it in nashville tuning. Basically just buy a 12 string set, throw away the heavy strings, and string the guitar with the 6 high strings from the 12 string set.
________
R80

Last edited:
i might try that. I've heard johnny talking about it before and always wondered what it was.

if you have a spare guitar, try putting it in nashville tuning. Basically just buy a 12 string set, throw away the heavy strings, and string the guitar with the 6 high strings from the 12 string set.

wow that sounds cool is it all in standard tuning still???

wow that sounds cool is it all in standard tuning still???

yeah, still in standard tuning. The low E is the same gauge and is tuned the same as the high E.

Pink Floyd used this tuning for "Hey You", as seen here.

Johnny has a dedicated guitar in this tuning, and he used it on Half A Person, and also on William. There's no 12 string on William, it's Rick 6 string doubled with his 62 Epiphone Coronet in nashville tuning. He also used it on the end of the Headmaster Ritual and on The Draize Train.
________
vaporizer wholesale

Last edited:
Sigh. Anyone hear anything close to that creativity in anything since the Smiths? You couldn't possibly hear any of that intricacy unless it was part of a great melody.

Back
Top Bottom