Iggy Pop - what's up with....

The Seeker of Good Songs

...his walk?

Does he have hip trouble?

I was watching concert footage of him at Montreux 2006, I think it was, and when he walked across the stage, he had a definite walk that wouldn't be considered normal. Like one leg is shorter than the other or hip trouble. Was he ever injured a motorcycle accident? Or has he always been that way and I never paid attention?

I thought I remembered seeing something in my RS so I surfed & found:

Are there physical things you can't do onstage anymore?

[Points to the live "Raw Power"-era photo of himself on the front of his T-shirt] Can't do that! Can't bend over backwards and pick up an apple in my teeth. If I have to work two nights in a row, I'll jump real high on the first night. The second night, I'll get up about six inches.

I have a dislocated shoulder. I have a lot of cartilage lost in my right hip. Both knees are about to go. I have one leg about an inch and a half shorter than the other. When I was thirteen, I was run over by a big guy playing junior high football, and the right leg ended up a quarter-inch shorter. By my midtwenties, it was a half-inch. Then in the Eighties, I had no money and was taking packed economy flights everywhere, night after night. The combination of that schedule and a fall I took dancing on an amplifier left me with my spine twisted and a slight limp.

Aleve and tai chi brought me back. But as I began to lose unlimited use of my body, I had to start using my head. I'm a much more remarkable person mentally than physically."

-Iggy Pop in Rolling Stone, April 4, 2007

what a nut. love him.

Thanks for that info Corrissey.

Back
Top Bottom