If you've downloaded this before, stop me

Gurglejerk

Today, I die a little. Today, I join the bootleggers.

I've been searching the forums for a while, but I can't see any record of these tracks being available, so I'll post them here.

These are multi-tracked recordings of "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before."

Available here from Mediafire

If you're not familiar with the term, multi-tracked recordings are the studio recordings used to mix together the song. So you have vocals, guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, etc. in different tracks. There are 14 tracks in this download.

I have three files here, "Stop_Me_Tracks.zip," 14 compressed files that make up "Stop Me," saved in the controversial and badly-named Ogg Vorbis format. I also include a 192kbps Garage Band file, "Stop Me GarageBand 192kbps.zip" for those who like to play in Apple's GarageBand program. There, you can mix and mess around with the tracks to your heart's content, should your heart ever be content.

The last file "Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before (Raw)," is raw mix of all the tracks together with no effects. It's notable in that it is without edits, fade-ins, fade-outs or any effects. It is not an official mix - it's just what you get when you stack all these tracks together. It's a 320kbps MP3.

Last edited:
...but...how..??? :eek:
This is absolutely unbelievable. Thank you so much. This might be one of the biggest posts this forum has ever seen in my time here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to play it in this file format. I tried figuring it out by searching online. Hopefully someone will be able to post in a different format. Thanks.

Wow. Yeah this is one of the coolest things I have ever heard... this is up there with the demo leaks. It is priceless to get a glimpse into the production of these songs. Even though this is not a true multitrack... ie the guitar tracks are mixed together, it's still just stupefyingly cool.

Where did you find it, and were there any more??

This is.... I'm lost for words.
Listening to the vocals... the guitar... the bass... and the keys... wtf?

If only I had a mac and garageband....

Dave

Dave, if you have a PC you can download Audacity for free. Just drag all the tracks into the program and you can mix to your hearts content. They are all the same length so they will sync up.

Gurglejerk, thanks again! Where did you get these??

Thanks Egosheep - a google search led me to Acoustica Mixcraft 5 - I'm off to have a play

Dave

Yesterday morning, I was reading the excellent Slicing Up Eyeballs website, and they posted a clean version of Pixies "Monkey Gone to Heaven" with just the strings and vocals. I knew it wasn't in their discography, and no bit of filtering could have achieved that, so I wanted to hunt down the source. That eventually led me to the Rock Band video games. Rock Band needs these multi-track recordings to let every player play along at their own pace. By getting these tracks, you have the basic elements of a song, ready to mix or re-mix. That's where the Pixies track came from.

All you need is the game. Anyone with a few hours and several, lonely years of computer experience can then crack the files.

Rock Band does sell "This Charming Man" and "Irish Blood, English Heart" but they are paid downloads, and can not be cracked the same way the songs on the game disc are. According to some forums I was reading through, the video game producers have apparently taken steps to make sure it won't happen (for now), with encrypted files and what not.

The Ogg Vorbis files are exactly as they come from the disc. There was no interaction with the files. I did not process them or re-encode them in the slightest, so there are no "better quality" versions available.

Now, I assume everyone who's here has already purchased "Stop Me" tenfold. I have bought it 13 times, by my count. So I don't have any internal conflict about posting it - on the subject of money. What I don't like is that this is not what the artists intended, and I have always respected the wishes of Morrissey and Marr. My hope is that this posting encourages folks to make new mixes and re-mixes of the track and share them. Maybe a sample winds up in a #1 song. Maybe a really good remix gets a billion hits on YouTube. Maybe someone breaks down the tracks and learns how to sing or play guitar.

So in the end, please do some good with these tracks. I am practically morose with the idea that this will cause any injury to the people who I have followed, respected and honored for so long.

Last edited:
Wonderful. Thank you.

I know the developers of Rock Band and asked them about this previously for Beatles Rock Band. They assured me that they're super-hard to rip because of the contract that they have with the label. Great that someone's been able to do it. Many thanks.

Wonderful. Thank you.

I know the developers of Rock Band and asked them about this previously for Beatles Rock Band. They assured me that they're super-hard to rip because of the contract that they have with the label. Great that someone's been able to do it. Many thanks.
Beatles Rock Band did have a strong encryption, and it took like 8 months to crack it. But it was eventually cracked and all 45 or so mogg files are now available.

The Beatles DLC(downloadable content) packs were cracked as well, so there is still hope that TCM could be released some day if the right people go after it.

Gurglejerk, please don't feel guilty about sharing these files. Morrissey and Marr bonded over used 45's, some of which Johnny got for free(included with his flat)... none of those artists were paid for the inspiration they imparted. These files are invaluable from a Smiths research perspective.

Gurglejerk, please don't feel guilty about sharing these files. Morrissey and Marr bonded over used 45's, some of which Johnny got for free(included with his flat)... none of those artists were paid for the inspiration they imparted. These files are invaluable from a Smiths research perspective.
The reason I did decide to post them is that it's really, really fun to play with them. It's been unbridled fun mixing them around. I just hope to be able to live with myself in the morning.

So, to recap: Playing with the tracks: Fun. Thinking about it: Not as much fun.

Tags
stop me
Back
Top Bottom