If you could never hear TWO solo albums again...

If I never heard one of them it would be Ringleader, but for the next one, it would be between Maladjusted and YOR. Maladjusted is one of my favorite songs though, so I'd have to keep it.

about Southpaw, I think it's possible not to agree with the intent of a record to begin with. Morrissey gave the musicians the most room they'd ever had and it was actually a great rock record, though strange. The leading cut has those weird (to me) chords and sounds but it does compliment the song as it sounds cold and disconnected.

It's got some of his best lyrics and it legitimately rocks as much as Sammy Hagar or something.

it's like an improv thing where you throw out a topic and go. Now, in Sammy vs Dave context is everything. In the context of Van Halen the only good Van Halen records were made with David Lee Roth. The last of those is 1984. Even with Dave they made very short albums that still had filler, but whatever. If you like that kind of music, their good stuff is some of the best by anyone.

On their own Dave revealed that he was a vaudeville performer and Sammy Hagar made a bunch of really bad songs, some of which, "I Can't Drive 55" and "Trans Am," are unforgivable.

But Sammy Hagar was the singer in the band Montrose, whose classic first album is better than any Van Halen record.

I never got Southpaw Grammar for years but now it's ok. I'd go as far to say that The Operation is up there with his best once you skip past the drum solo.

Two records I could do without? The first one is easy, Ringleader to me is a bit of a mess and I can't listen to it from start to finish. Half of the songs sound the bloody same too.

If I had to pick another one then I might as well pick a shortest straw as I don't think there's much between them. Probably Maladjusted or Kill Uncle.

I think I'd be ok without KU and YOR. But I really like them all.

Would be sad to give up Trouble Loves Me but I'd leave Maladjusted and Kill Uncle behind. Some great songwriting on each but production on both is too tepid and don't feel as if Morrissey's heart is in them.

The reissue of Maladjusted is my favourite; I could never get rid of it.
Southpaw I could, because "Reader Meet Author" is on MEBY, and the rest...I still am working on it.
Can I wait for the next GH release which will include SISMS and Carol, and then I could live without Refusal?

Viva Hate and Quarry.

I'm not sorry. VH has really lacklustre songs and the singles are elsewhere. Quarry is glossy and plastic, served it's purpose in 04 but nothing on it strikes me as really brilliant. Except, maybe, ...Camden.

I must say I don't like any Morrissey solo album as a complete album....only The Smiths albums and Bona Drag are for me!
So this a tricky one as I have many Morrissey albums I don't really like...

Ringleaders and Southpaw Grammar (with Maladjusted and Years Of Refusal just loosing out there!!!)

I must say I don't like any Morrissey solo album as a complete album....only The Smiths albums and Bona Drag are for me!
So this a tricky one as I have many Morrissey albums I don't really like...

Ringleaders and Southpaw Grammar (with Maladjusted and Years Of Refusal just loosing out there!!!)

Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I don't sound like a complete album to you?

And I must say, I'm surprised that so many people don't like Ringleaders. That's such a beautiful album.

Ringleader and Maladjusted.

Back
Top Bottom