If the Smiths reformed..

Danny

I was thinking this yesterday when reading about all the huge stadiums The Police are playing in America.

If The Smiths did reform the whole thing would be a complete disaster just because of practical reasons. If they played the Stadiums we'd hate them because that's not what The Smiths are about. If they played small Morrissey-like venues only the very rich would be able to afford the tickets once the touts grabbed them all.

Morrissey and Marr's reputation would be totally ruined.

Yep.

Although I can't help think that their repuations would be ruined even without that issue, but I am rather negative about the idea.

Morrissey and Rourke happily play Smiths songs, can't really say about the others.

I can't see what a reunion would achieve - Morrissey et al seems happy enough as they are.

It wont happen, and even if it did I'd probably be a one off at a festival or something tbh

I don't think I'd want them to reform - mind you, people shuddered in horror when The Pixies got back together, thinking it would be a let down or a disaster.

I don't think I'd want them to reform - mind you, people shuddered in horror when The Pixies got back together, thinking it would be a let down or a disaster.

Mind you, I've heard the recording of the Pixies gig in Zagreb this summer and they didn't sound half bad (quite the contrary!). I've heard they looked quite old but hey, you can't have it all!

But I'm sure we're safe when it comes to the Smiths - it won't happen. I'd like to see them play live but I'm quite happy to wait until they invent time-machines :D

Despite it being a big deal for many of us, I don't think The Smiths would be able to fill stadiums in the United States. The Smiths are not a household name here like the Police. The Police had several hit songs and went to the top of the charts. The Smiths never had a hit in the US. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm guessing that the sales figures in the US for both bands aren't even comparible. The Smiths might be able to fill some larger arenas in the larger cities, but I think in most cities they would be lucky to double what Morrissey draws on his own, which is between 2,000 and 5,000.

I always say never say never. They don't have to go out on a big tour like the Police, but they can do a small number of stadiums and become sold out. But yes I do know that it would never happen, because just as it was mention, The Smiths and Morrissey fans would never see them in the same light again. It is all truly sad to think about it.

I was thinking this yesterday when reading about all the huge stadiums The Police are playing in America.

If The Smiths did reform the whole thing would be a complete disaster just because of practical reasons. If they played the Stadiums we'd hate them because that's not what The Smiths are about. If they played small Morrissey-like venues only the very rich would be able to afford the tickets once the touts grabbed them all.

Morrissey and Marr's reputation would be totally ruined.

i don't think it would be that big of a deal in america. it would be like when the pixies reformed...all the posing hipsters would go to look cool. it would be a sell-out but i doubt it would even fill arenas at every city.

with all the reunions that have gone down the last years, my general attitude towards them is "never say never" (as long as at least one band-member is alive, anyway). but with the smiths i think it fairly safe to say that it will never happen, at least not with all the members. too much bad blood, and morrissey and marr have their own things going very well for them, obviously.

now a scenario i have played with in my head is that with marr now playing with modest mouse, it's fairly possible that they will play the same city or festival at some point. maybe marr would do a song or two with morrissey? i mean, there doesn't really seem to be any hostility between them, although they don't talk very often. probably a long shot, but i guess i can always dream...

I agree I think it will EVER happen, :(

But we must never say never, LOL.

I just hope they do it sooner rather than later, I mean who wants to see living cadavers dancing about on stage? LOL.

That's what we have the rolling stones for!!!

I think it would be good if they did reformed but what do u think the general joe public would think of them do morrissey marr still keep in contact with each other ?

I'm all for a Smith's re-union, if it's a sincere effort by both parties to reconcile the differences of the past and work together to recapture that magic.

Personally, I think the Pixies re-union was great and continues to be great. Sooner or later they are gonna come out with a record, and even if it isn't quite as great as the old Pixies it'll still be a great album I'm sure.

I don't know why any Morrissey/Smith's fan wouldnt want the band to get back together if they were doing it for the right and noble reasons.

Back
Top Bottom