If the Smiths reformed for a one-off gig, what would you like on the setlist?

A

Anonymous

First of all, this is JUST FOR FUN, as we all know it is never going to happen in reality.
But, just imagining that the Smiths decided to reform for a 'one-off, never going to happen again' show, with a 20 song setlist (about the same number Moz has recently been doing live), what would you like to see on it? Anyone care to have a go?

First of all, this is JUST FOR FUN, as we all know it is never going to happen in reality.
But, just imagining that the Smiths decided to reform for a 'one-off, never going to happen again' show, with a 20 song setlist (about the same number Moz has recently been doing live), what would you like to see on it? Anyone care to have a go?

man thats hard.

handsome devil
reel around the fountain
suffer little children
headmaster
what she said
barbarism
frankly mister shankly
accept yourself
paint a vulgar picture
unhappy birthday
still ill
ask
a rush and a push
death of a disco dancer (well put moz back on the piano)
bigmouth
meat is murder
well i wonder
half a person
heaven knows
girl afraid
the boy with the thorn in his side

hard thing to approach so i put very little thought into it in an attempt to just see what came to my mind naturally and immediately. you could make a bunch of set lists gear to specific tempos moods topics but this is just what came to mind

This Charming Man
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
I know It's Over
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
Well I wonder
Barbarism Begins At Home
I Don't Owe You Anything
Still Ill
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Reel Around The Fountain
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Wonderful Woman
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Stretch Out And Wait
William It Was Really Nothing
Rubber Ring
Back To The Old House
These Things Take Time
The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
I Won't Share You

That's terribly difficult!

This Charming Man
I know It's Over
Well I wonder
Barbarism Begins At Home
I Don't Owe You Anything
Still Ill
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
Reel Around The Fountain
This Night Has Opened My Eyes
Wonderful Woman
Stretch Out And Wait
William It Was Really Nothing
Rubber Ring
Back To The Old House
These Things Take Time
I Won't Share You

That's terribly difficult!

i knows it. i mean your setlist only had four songs in common with mine and id still kill to hear it which is a testament to the quality if there catalog. forgot hand in glove for a reason i just cant fathom at the moment but id add that in retrospect and just make it twenty two songs which is i know pushing it.

Hand In Glove
This Charming Man
Reel around the fountain
handsome Devil
I know It's Over
headmaster
These Things Take Time
still ill
ask
girl afraid
Rubber Ring
Back To The Old House
I want The One i can't have
How Soon is Now
Shoplifters of The World Unite
I won't Share you

The Queen Is Dead
Hand In Glove
Nowhere Fast
Headmaster Ritual
Sweet & Tender Hooligan
Girl Afraid
These Things Take Time
How Soon Is Now?
I Want The One I Can't Have
Still Ill
Death At Ones Elbow
Reel Around The Fountain
Well I Wonder
Wonderful Woman
I Know It's Over
I Won't Share You
Shoplifters
Stop Me
Panic

What She Said/Rubber Ring

Ps: I hope it never happens..

Im applled over the lists on here. No jeane?!
Shame
Shame
Shame
Shame

My setlist:
Still Ill
Hand In Glove
Barbarism begins at home
Handsome Devil
Nowhere fast
The boy with the thorn in his side
Girlfriend in a coma
William it was really nothing
Ask
Heaven knows
This charming man
Reel around the fountain
Bigmouth strikes again
How soon is now
Pretty girls
Accept yourself
Half a person
Sheila take a bow
Unloveable
Jeane

The Queen Is Dead
William, It Was Really Nothing
How Soon Is Now
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
I Know It's Over
This Charming Man
Panic
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
I Want The One I Can't Have
Reel Around The Fountain
Bigmouth Strikes Again
These Things Take Time
Well I Wonder
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Hand In Glove

Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

I'd much rather see the original Lads reunite for one night and play Your Arsenal in its entirety, rounded out by a selection of a baker's dozen or so other solo songs ranging from Viva Hate to Maladjusted.

Say:

Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
Jack The Ripper
Sister I'm a Poet
King Leer
Disappointed
November Spawned a Monster
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
A Swallow On My Neck
The Boy Racer
Do Your Best And Don't Worry
Trouble Loves
Maladjusted
Alma Matters

Last edited:
Tell you what I can see happening:

1) The inevitable Moz/Marr reunion gig(s), with or without Rourke and Joyce.
2) Just as is the trend, touring classic albums. I went to see Adam Ant doing Dirk Wears White Sox, now he's touring Kings Of The Wild Frontier. People want to see this stuff. Regardless of how many times you are told that the last album was the best, if there's money in it, and the fans will pay, it will happen.

I'd much rather see the original Lads reunite for one night and play Your Arsenal in its entirety, rounded out by a selection of a baker's dozen or so other solo songs ranging from Viva Hate to Maladjusted.

Say:

Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
Jack The Ripper
Sister I'm a Poet
King Leer
Disappointed
November Spawned a Monster
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
A Swallow On My Neck
The Boy Racer
Trouble Loves
Maladjusted
Alma Matters

I'd like The Smiths to play this set.

2) Just as is the trend, touring classic albums. I went to see Adam Ant doing Dirk Wears White Sox, now he's touring Kings Of The Wild Frontier. People want to see this stuff. Regardless of how many times you are told that the last album was the best, if there's money in it, and the fans will pay, it will happen.
It would be cool to see "Kings" played in it's entirety.....I would like to see that here in the States....

Tell you what I can see happening:

1) The inevitable Moz/Marr reunion gig(s), with or without Rourke and Joyce.

You are hedging your bets quite a bit here. If you would count a Morrissey/Marr "reunion gig" as them both being on the same stage at some point and performing any piece of music, Smiths or not, with any configuration of "lawnmower parts" playing alongside, it is just barely possible that they might do this for some cause or when receiving some award. But they are never going to perform a complete show where they are the headliners, and they especially are not going to call anything The Smiths, and they are absolutely never going to tour The Queen Is Dead, or whatever album.

There is money in it and it would sell tickets. People do want to see it. That last bit is exactly why it won't happen. First of all, Morrissey would rather make you want something you can't ever have than give it to you. Second, I think that Johnny Marr is proud of his work with The Smiths, and just as equally embarrassed of his association with Morrissey. I believe that when he chats with his peers, such as Bernard Sumner, they laugh at Morrissey. They've all become mature adults more or less, and Morrissey's whole act is looked at as something that a certain type of person embraces, but that is actually a huge joke. Watch Marr singing "Getting Away With It" the Electronic song about Morrissey.

On the other hand seeing Marr play all those Smiths songs does make me want to hear Morrissey, or almost anyone else, sing them, and it would probably be an enjoyable show. It would overshadow both of their careers and make everything they've done since 1987 or so seem irrelevant.
Morrissey doesn't need the money. He can keep releasing the same songs in new formats forever. He would have to be truly broke and living on the street, or have a heroin habit, or something very drastic. Johnny Marr left him and maybe those rumors are true that he once wanted to reform, but he was in a much better position then. He would have been able to negotiate terms that would suit his ego, and it wouldn't have been looked at not as a reunion so much as poor lost Johnny Marr going from backup gig to backup gig finally realizes he needs Morrisey and the brand name The Smiths to be relevant. That, Morrissey would have done just maybe. But now? Johnny Marr rescues Morrissey from obscurity just like he did in the very beginning of the band? That's how what's left of the NME and everyone else who has knives out for Morrissey would frame it. They are never, ever going to get back together again.

Get Off The Stage
Golden Lights
Work Is A Four Letter Word
I'm OK By Myself
Speedway
Maladjusted
I Will See You In Far-Off Places
Meat Is Murder
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
I know It's Over
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before
Sweet And Tender Hooligan
You Know I Couldn't Last
Safe Warm Lancashire Home
Julie In The Weeds
Neal Cassidy Drops Dead
Tomorrow
The Lazy Sunbathers
Satan Rejected My Soul

o.k... If they reformed.... I want them to play....EVERYTHING. Like Sparks, a show a night for the week..A album a night.

Hey, If we're gonna dream here..........:)

yes... and 'Louder than..' too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom