If Moz were to do another duet with a woman which of these would work best?

If Moz were to do another duet with a woman which of these would work best?

• Total voters
Well, I don't know about that, Morrissey likes his 1950's crooning and old fashioned guitar style where he puts his voice right up in the mix, just like the old days...ala 1950's/60's. Girls Aloud have a great production team behind them where the music is more important than the vocal.... and it would be a great video/song to see/hear

To summarise Morrissey vs Girls Aloud would equal:
  • The modern sound vs The old-fashioned sound.
  • The old man vs the young women.
  • The beauties vs the beast.
or, to be more accurate:
[*]The crap sound vs The good sound.
[*]The middle-aged man vs the young women.
[*]The beauty vs a bunch of bland Barbie-dolls.

With all due respect, most of the picks on your list are awful. You named several artists that either hate Morrissey (Tori Amos) or that Morrissey hates (Kate Bush, Sade) or doesn't hold in high esteem (Madonna), and a couple of artists who are simply crap singers and/or produce crap music (Dolores O'Riordan :eek:, Madonna again). And I don't think squeeky childlike voices like those of Harriet Wheeler, Bjork or Kate Bush would work with Morrissey's voice (besides, I hate their voices anyway, although I suppose you won't think that that's a strong argument ;) ). Besides, Bjork has said that "Army Of Me" was 'about Morrissey and all the people who are like him' (i.e. who complain/whine all the time)...that gives you an idea of how much she understands and appreciates his work. :rolleyes:

To answer the original question: Linder...of course. Listening to "Driving Your Girlfriend Home" makes me think how wonderfully their voices match and what a shame it is they didn't do a proper duet. But I doubt it's ever going to happen.

Others who might be a good idea: Patti Smith, P.J.Harvey, Marianne Faithfull, Joni Mitchell, Katie Sketch (The Organ), Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hynde, Jayne Casey (Pink Military/Pink Industry) or Cath Carroll (neither has been active in music for years, though - but then again, neither has Linder, discounting Meltdown), Kristin Hersch, Alison Goldfrapp, Tracy Thorn, Beth Gibbons, Nancy Sinatra, and maybe Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls). I love Siouxsie, but another duet between her and Moz is hardly going to happen, since they didn't really hit it off last time, based on her subsequent comments about him.

Last edited:
I have no idea what happened between Tori Amos and Morrissey, would anyone care to explain?

Kristin Hersh is a good suggestion but I'd still go with me!

why are sugababes not in the list of options?! it wouldn't work with the new line-up. it'd have to include the funny-lookin' who left, recently.

why are sugababes not in the list of options?! it wouldn't work with the new line-up. it'd have to include the funny-lookin' who left, recently.

The Sugababes thought Morrissey was a band, therefore they should be disqualified.

The Sugababes thought Morrissey was a band, therefore they should be disqualified.

Lol! I saw that! She was like, "Yeah...they're quite a respected band innit?". Or something :rolleyes:

Having said this, I went to see the Sugababes live. Years ago, before they got shit, this is. And they were v. g.!

This poll is funny, universally accepted here that it has the worst choices of any poll that has ever been on this site ever.

congrats!

He needs someone with a higher range. The duet with Souxsie didn't work because she has such a low, croaky voice. You need a contrast to Morrissey's baritone. Dusty Springfield would fit the bill :(

I voted Sinead O'Connor like a said before she has a great voice it would be a perfect duet...
I forgot to include Sinead O'Connor in my list. yes, she would be a good choice. Do you know that 1991 photo of two of them sitting and talking? I wonder how they got along. I imagine they'd have a lot to talk about. She has a lot in common with him - both had an Irish Catholic upbringing and have spoken against Catholicism, both are outspoken, rebeliious and controversial, and at the same time both of them are very emotional singers.

Lol! I saw that! She was like, "Yeah...they're quite a respected band innit?". Or something :rolleyes:

Having said this, I went to see the Sugababes live. Years ago, before they got shit, this is. And they were v. g.!

I do like them I must admit, but still favour Girls Aloud for a duet.
The video could consist of them chasing Mozzer around with him trying to shake them off, intersperced with him singing on TOTP and Girls Aloud as either Pans People or some as some really gormless dancers in the audience, then at the end they could catch him and smother him with cuddles and make him look all embarrassed and agonised.
Imagine trying to run that idea past Mozzer though.

I have no idea what happened between Tori Amos and Morrissey, would anyone care to explain?
uh...Well, this is just something I read on a forum (can't remember which one... it could even be this one), so I can't guarantee it's true. It was an account by someone who was at a concert of hers in Manchester. The story goes: she said to the audience she was going to cover a song by someone from Manchester, and someone from the audience shouted: "Morrissey!" Tori Amos suppesedly answered that it's not him and she wouldn't sing any of his songs because he is a jerk, and she supposedly said that she met him backstage when they were both on Jools Holland (if I remember it correctly - it might have been some other show); she greeted him with "hey, it was a great show," or something, and he allegedly replied "What the f**k would you know". then she shouted some abuse at him.

Now, I find it very hard to believe, because this sounds nothing like him and is absolutely at odds with the picture that anyone else who's ever met him paints of him. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I voted Chrissie Hynde, which is the most obvious choice, but I think also the best one. Apart from the fact they'd easily find a topic to sing about, their voices seem compatible. I wouldn't like to see him sing with Linder - from the little of Ludus I've heard (their 'poppier', more well-known tracks), I'm not the biggest fan of her voice for some reason.

I'd prefer if Moz didn't collaborate with anyone though; there isn't anyone who could do justice to a song sung alongside him, not IMHO anyway.

I voted Chrissie Hynde, which is the most obvious choice, but I think also the best one. Apart from the fact they'd easily find a topic to sing about, their voices seem compatible. I wouldn't like to see him sing with Linder - from the little of Ludus I've heard (their 'poppier', more well-known tracks), I'm not the biggest fan of her voice for some reason.
You probably mean "Breaking The Rules" and "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go"? I love Ludus and I like her voice a lot, but I suppose I wouldn't like it too much based on those tracks either... actually, those are not among my favourite Ludus songs: too poppy, more ordinary musically than most of their stuff, and too straighforward lyrically. I'm far more into their weirder and darker songs (but I'm not into the extremely 'avantgarde' "Danger Came Smiling" LP either). Her singing is very unusual, her voice can be very high or very low, it can sound harsh and angry like a real punk singer one moment, than sweet and lovely the next, like a jazz-pop singer... and then she'll suddenly break into screams and cries. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom