If Morrissey had a record deal, would he still be writing books?

He is his own man. I can still see him writing away for Penguin even with a record deal.

You don't make money in music anymore. It's even getting harder to squeeze profits from the touring

If Grandma had balls, would that make her Grandpa? IF an ice cream truck doesn't carry push-ups, is it an ice cream truck?

If Grandma had balls, would that make her Grandpa? IF an ice cream truck doesn't carry push-ups, is it an ice cream truck?

What the hell is a push up? You mean a push pop? Never heard of push ups in relation to ice cream. Is that what they call them in Fagland?

What the hell is a push up? You mean a push pop? Never heard of push ups in relation to ice cream. Is that what they call them in Fagland?

Don't play dumb, you know exactly what I mean.
buy-groceries-icecream-ice-pops-nestle-s-orange-push-up-ea-online-in-fort-lauderdale.jpg

And where is "Fagland", do they have ice cream trucks there? And is that latin?

Publishers usually require more than one book in any publishing deal so this book is clearly part of the deal he made for Autobiography so I am not sure the writing career cancels out the music career or vice versa.

In terms of being without a record deal, as I said in another post I think he could learn from Prince (who himself has had some issues with record companies). Prince has recently signed with Warner Brothers for several new albums in return for supporting reissues of his back catalogue. Given that Warners own The Smiths catalogue as well as several Morrissey solo albums I imagine a record deal with them could be quite lucrative if he would support a comprehensive reissue of his back catalogue.

cant see it being an either or. i mean hes got songs ready to record so i imagine when hes not touring he could be writing fiction. one probably leads to the other and as long as hes able to write things down to go back to after im sure its all good. what would have a record deal get in the way of writing. how would it change his day to day as he already tours and writes new music anyway

I think he would be doing both if he could. When Autobiography was published in 2013, he had no way of knowing how the deal with Harvest/Capitol would collapse a year later. So, presumably, he must have had both contracts going simultaneously, with the intention to do another book and a second Harvest album.

I think he would be doing both if he could. When Autobiography was published in 2013, he had no way of knowing how the deal with Harvest/Capitol would collapse a year later. So, presumably, he must have had both contracts going simultaneously, with the intention to do another book and a second Harvest album.

Didn't he announce that he was writing a novel during his period with Harvest? That suggests that yes he would still have written it if he had a deal.

the bit about the contract with penguin makes obvious sense but his deal was very weird in general so i dont know if he was contracted for two or if there was a clause or two. after it came out on the classics line id believe anything

I have yet to receive/read the book. But, based on the "cream of the crop" excerpted elsewhere, it seems he may have very well sunk at least two albums of good to great lyrics into a difficult, if not ungainly, narrative.

I have yet to receive/read the book. But, based on the "cream of the crop" excerpted elsewhere, it seems he may have very well sunk at least two albums of good to great lyrics into a difficult, if not ungainly, narrative.

that could be true but im betting hes still writing lyrics at the same time. im wonder how splitting the difference might be going for him as thats hard. i remember brett anderson saying he was writing stuff for his debut solo album and the tears album at the same time and while i find his lyrics ok but spotty on the solo album and very good on the tears record i always wonder how great either would have been if he was just concentrating on one project at a time instead of splitting the difference. for sure some of those passages would haev made excellent lyrics

I just can't believe morrissey is actually struggling to find a record label over all these years, there must be tons of record labels that would love, love to have him on their rooster of musicians.

Back
Top Bottom