If Morrissey could work with any current band to record an album?

Which band?

• The Stone Roses

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The Bad Seeds

• Arcade Fire

• The National

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Slowdive

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Depeche Mode

• The Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Pink Floyd

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Radiohead

• Other (please state)

Votes: 10 31.3%

• Total voters
I think Father John Misty would make an interesting collaborator, Pure Comedy is one of my favourite albums of the year

The Mountain Goats. I think Darnielle and co would approach the situation with respect, good songs in mind, and steer M toward a simpler yet more fitting sound. And probably tell him straight up if something stinks. Which is the most important thing for anyone to potentially work with him.
"Sit down, shut up, and try harder. You're Morrissey."

But with the current state of things in recent years, he's rapidly and widely become known more as a punchline than a musician of merit.
Oh f*** yes.

I have to comment here. I'm sorry but Moz singing with Oasis?
That really is such an awful, awful idea.
It's so dreadful I'd be grateful if we stopped talking about it.

Now that is controversial.
Fireworks coming up?
Hey, it wasn’t my idea. I was merely replying to a post.

The band he has now is fine. What's been lacking over the past decade or so are some consistency good lyrics.

He doesn't really need to work with a new band or songwriters.
They're the best he's had since the early 90s - so much better than the Southpaw to Years of Refusal chug-rock era. He could probably do with some help with the lyrics, though, as they often really let him down these days. The solution could be that long talked-about covers album...

The band he has now is fine. What's been lacking over the past decade or so are some consistency good lyrics.
I think you may be on the money Mr Truth.
The problem is not the band.
I've always thought that some great artists need a collaborator who can tell them to shut the f*** up.
Paul McCartney was probably one of the few people, in the music business at least, who could tell Lennon what an arse he was (and visa versa).
And those who see The Smiths as Morrisseys best work could say he had Marr.
(Not me, I prefer the best of the solo stuff).
But the idea of Morrissey playing with an established artist or band is fascinating and would bring out the best in him.
One thing I think than unifies a large number of posters on Solo is that he is at least capable of better.
And I've completely forgotten why I am writing about this.

Hi Gregor, what do you think of that particular combination?
I've never been a fan of Oasis.
I love the Gallaghers, and I guess it would have been cool if Moz had collaborated with them at their peak in the 90’s, but it’s not my dream collaboration. Noel, who’s a huge Moz fan, recently said he would love to write a song with him and that is something I would be truly excited about.

Rammstein would be hilarious. But Ween needs to collaborate with Brian Eno and call themselves Weeno. That would be genius.
As for the Decemberists, aren't they just dime-store Morrissey wannabes anyway? Or am I just talking out of my vast veranda?
Did you like Armageddon Dildos - Come Armageddon?

I don't want him to work with any of these people. I want him to carry on precisely as he has been. I don't mind the blunders. I really don't. The narrative is what it is, and it's a compelling one. To shoehorn some other element into it at this stage would be to jump the shark in the most spectacular and embarrassing fashion. The songs that you sneer at today will, ten years from now, mysteriously melt your heart. It happens. Only the other day, I found myself listening to Haircut 100 with tears in my eyes. Stay the course, I say. Just make sure you're wearing knee pads and a gum shield.

Morrissey has found some great song composers in the last few years.
The one area he clearly needs help with, though, is his lyrics.
Who could provide that?

To answer the question: He could if he wanted it. But why the hell would HE?
The idea is something fans of all types are curious about but they always want him to cooperate with their other favourite artists.

By the way, the suggestions of some he needs “help” with his lyrics is disingenuous, downright insulting and hilarious too. :laughing:

Suede might be interesting.
Not often you see "work" and The Stone Roses in the same sentence.

Back
Top Bottom