if morrissey came out?

Morrissey is gay but he doesn't talk about it as small minded people would then view his music as gay, when it's universal. Like Dusty Springfield, if she had come out all the norms would have stopped buying her records, as they were love songs.

My Balloon said:
Morrissey is gay but he doesn't talk about it as small minded people would then view his music as gay, when it's universal. Like Dusty Springfield, if she had come out all the norms would have stopped buying her records, as they were love songs.

I disagree because lets face it, all fo those who dont like Morrissey,whether its a listener, or someone in the industry, or a critic, they labeled him gay along time ago because they are small minded and just figured cause hes British and has flowers hanging out of his back pocket that hes got to be gay. My point from the beginning has been that I think he is straight, and that he sort of plays this PR game with his sexuality because of what another poster said, hes able to put himself in this mysterious "grey area" that attracts men and women alike. And I love them for that, whether I'm right or wrong. And it doesnt matter to me whether I am right or wrong, its just my opinion.

lnathan said:
What do you mean by "admitting what they really are"? If you don't aknowledge the terms "gay", "straight" or "bi", there is nothing to admit in terms of those words is there? That doesn't mean that you are afraid to admit that you may be attracted to someone of the same sex...which I don't think Morrissey is, and nor am I.

I just don't think that one word can describe a persons whole sexuality because it's such a complicated thing. The thing with words is that they simplify reality and to a great extend also create reality. There are some words that we need to get rid of in order to allow people to just be what they are and not have to defend themselves.
When you say "straight people don't say that", you have already labelled them as straight, but I don't actually know who you are talking about. Does it mean that anybody who says "don't put a label on it" are not straight? Does straight mean that you live in a hetero-sexual relationship, or that you have never been intimate with someone of the same sex? What about the people who know they are attracted to people of the same sex, but just haven't ever acted on it? Imagine what a freedon people would have if those words didn't exist.
People who live in heterosexual relationships don't care about the labels because they don't need to defend themselves...because they live within the "norm".
"Normal" is another word that we need to eliminate from our vocabulary.

Amen, brotha.

My point from the beginning has been that I think he is straight, and that he sort of plays this PR game with his sexuality because of what another poster said, hes able to put himself in this mysterious "grey area" that attracts men and women alike. - [email protected]

That doesn't mean that you are afraid to admit that you may be attracted to someone of the same sex...which I don't think Morrissey is, and nor am I. - lnathan

You people astonish me.

You're absolutely terrified of the idea that Morrissey may be "gay" or "bi" because it would destroy your own personal fantasies, which is what motivates you to post such ill-informed drivel.

If you really believe that Morrissey is "straight", and that he has never been attracted to someone of his own sex, then I can only assume you must have some other Morrissey in mind.

His sexuality is his own business, but your assertions are patently absurd.

Let's face it. He may be talented and he may be rich, but Morrissey is just like everyone else. And everyone else defines their sexuality, and secretly Morrissey does too. Morrissey is just extremely arrogant, stubborn, and loves to screw around with the press. He is not celibate. He is not above sexual definitions. However, I must say that I admire his desire to keep that part of his life private. Still...I am 99% sure that Morrissey is gay, based on many of his mannerisms and his lyrics, which are often a looking-glass into his frankly odd existence.

Martin McCann said:
That doesn't mean that you are afraid to admit that you may be attracted to someone of the same sex...which I don't think Morrissey is, and nor am I. - lnathan

If you really believe that Morrissey is "straight", and that he has never been attracted to someone of his own sex, then I can only assume you must have some other Morrissey in mind.

That's not what I'm saying. Read my post again.
It was an answer to this written by Whatshesaid:
I am female and prefer the idea that he is gay. I don't know why, just don't want him to be with a woman.
All this don't put labels on it to me is just an excuse for people who don't want to admit what they really are. How many straight people say that 'its just the person you love', 'don't put a label on it', that's right none.

How is my post ill-informed? I am only stating my opinion on the whole concept of labelling sexuality and actually trying to raise the discussion to another level instead of the continuing and boring speculation of Morrisseys sexuality.

Last edited:
My Balloon said:

i can't believe we're still talking gender issues in 2006.
this really is quite ridiculous.
very silly indeed and kinda sad too.

Martin McCann said:
You people astonish me.

You're absolutely terrified of the idea that Morrissey may be "gay" or "bi" because it would destroy your own personal fantasies, which is what motivates you to post such ill-informed drivel.

Where did you come from? I have been very careful in my posts to make sure everyone was aware that I do not care if Moz is gay or not. I dont care if anyone is gay or not. And the reason I did that is cause I knew, lurking somewhere, was going to be someone like you who wants to try to paint me as someone whose opposed to Moz being gay or anyone being gay. Thats not it, the topic was started, and I simply said, IMO, Moz is straight. And thats an opinion, and if it doesnt agree with your opinion, then thats fine, thats why its called an opinion.

Martin McCann said:

And I forgot to ask you, what fantasy do I have that benefits from Moz being straight or bi? Explain that to me. Why would I want him to be straight. What would I gain from that? Maybe then he would sleep with my wife? Him and I could go out and pick up girls? What sort of fantasy are you talking about? If youre going to speak blindly out of your ass, you got back it up with something, anything.

I don't think you people have any better idea than the next random person on this board. We know nothing of his personal life at all and it is really hard to tell. Morrissey doesn't need a label from his own fans!

Look at the facts:
His song lyrics rarely define whether the love interest is male or female- Hand In Glove, Half A Person, I'll Have Both, You Have Killed Me. He had a long time friend named Jake that suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth (do I hear breakup?). Spencer, Moz, and a friend did take pictures of each other naked in a bed. And, in some recent songs it is very clear the person he is talking to is female, but as usuall you can't tell because the lyrics are so vague.

So, I see it as there is no clean definition for Moz's sexuality and I think Morrisssey wants it that way. Let's just leave it at that and keep on listening to his music.

Quite why the mans sexuality seems to interest so many of his fans as it does is beyond me, quite frankly.

I agree with those who criticise fans either wanting him to put a label on it or just presuming he's gay. Sexuality is a very complex thing, did you ever stop to think maybe he likes both? In different ways, perhaps?

Or did you ever stop to think that, gasp, maybe he himself doesnt actually know? If everything was as black and white as it seems to some on this thread then the world would be a very bland place indeed!

SRA said:
Sexuality is a very complex thing, did you ever stop to think maybe he likes both? In different ways, perhaps?

It does not make sexuality complex ; sexuality is quiet simple in fact

Where did you come from? I have been very careful in my posts to make sure everyone was aware that I do not care if Moz is gay or not. I dont care if anyone is gay or not. And the reason I did that is cause I knew, lurking somewhere, was going to be someone like you who wants to try to paint me as someone whose opposed to Moz being gay or anyone being gay. Thats not it, the topic was started, and I simply said, IMO, Moz is straight. And thats an opinion, and if it doesnt agree with your opinion, then thats fine, thats why its called an opinion.

I'll ignore the impertinence and the arrogance in your blustering pose, and instead focus on the issue at hand, which was your opinion/assertion that Morrissey is "straight".
Naturally, as a long time admirer of Morrissey, your opinion/assertion struck me as being either completely naive, or wilfully disingenuous.
You've since demonstrated that you are merely stupid, which is far worse.

Martin McCann said:
My point from the beginning has been that I think he is straight, and that he sort of plays this PR game with his sexuality because of what another poster said, hes able to put himself in this mysterious "grey area" that attracts men and women alike. - [email protected]

You people astonish me.

Oh I see what you are saying now. You have misunderstood what I mean by saying "I don't think morrissey is" What I mean is that I don't think Morrissey is afraid to admit that he is attracted to someone of the same sex.

And I forgot to ask you, what fantasy do I have that benefits from Moz being straight or bi? Explain that to me. Why would I want him to be straight. What would I gain from that? Maybe then he would sleep with my wife? Him and I could go out and pick up girls? What sort of fantasy are you talking about? If youre going to speak blindly out of your ass, you got back it up with something, anything.

People like you, who strongly identify with another person, admire them and wish to emulate them in some way, are often disappointed to discover that their idol may have feet of clay, insomuch as the person that you virtually worshipped, and that you projected all your fantasies onto, was infact the opposite in some way to how you'd imagined them.
I've seen this disappointment manifest itself in many of the people who have posted here over the years, whereby those who previously appeared to be among Morrissey's most loyal and staunch supporters, suddenly begin to exhibit a pronounced hostility towards him because of something he has said in an interview or written in a lyric.
I suspect that you are among those who would be horrified were Morrissey ever to announce that he is in a relationship with another man, a suspicion hardened after you felt it necessary to thrust your wife in my face, as it were, thus establishing your heterosexual credentials.
Perhaps you did this out of some mordant fear that I may be tempted to make some kind of clumsy approach towards you?
You can relax, your posts, and the "opinions" and illustrations contained within them make you extremely ugly to me.

Last edited:
lnathan said:
Oh I see what you are saying now. You have misunderstood what I mean by saying "I don't think morrissey is" What I mean is that I don't think Morrissey is afraid to admit that he is attracted to someone of the same sex.

I apologise for the misunderstanding.

Back
Top Bottom