If John Lennon was still alive, what would he have thought of the Smiths and Moz?

f*** Lennon and f*** The Beatles. Manchester and The Smiths/Moz for me!:D

Fool on the Hill

With an added verse about how the mailbox is all the way down at the bottom of the driveway and the fool is out of shape so the mail collects until he remembers to stop and get out of the car after returning home from buying a burrito (add sour cream) at a taco stand on...wait for it...FOOTHILL. :p

Hard to say, what John Lennon? The mop-top "She Loves You" John Lennon, the Yoko-loving "Peace A Chance" John Lennon, or a present day 69year-old man. It would be great to hear what the 69 year-old man would say about Paul McCartney performing at Coachella the same night as Morrissey.

Bait swallowed. You know I'm a sucker. :)

Sting and Morrissey

• Both use a one-word stage name.
  • Both are vegetarians.
  • Both charismatic front-men of important 1980s bands.
  • Both left their bands-- for different reasons-- at the peak of the band's success and had to live in its shadow for many years.
  • Both are considered highly articulate lyricists.
  • Both wear literary influences on their sleeve. Morrissey: Delaney and Wilde primarily, with at least allusions, and sometimes more, to many others (Proust, Greene, Smart, Plath, Smith etc). Sting: Chaucer, Shakespeare, Crisp, Nabokov, etc.
  • Both show strong support for "-rights" organizations: Morrissey, animal rights (PETA), Sting, human rights (Amnesty International).
  • In 1995 both were involved in court cases involving millions of pounds.
  • One of Morrissey's favorite books was "Beyond Belief". Sting wrote a foreword to the book "Yoga Beyond Belief". (Okay, that's stretching things, no pun intended.)
:bow:

Hard to say, what John Lennon? The mop-top "She Loves You" John Lennon, the Yoko-loving "Peace A Chance" John Lennon, or a present day 69year-old man. It would be great to hear what the 69 year-old man would say about Paul McCartney performing at Coachella the same night as Morrissey.

Nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF are you on about, if you wouldn't mind explaining please?

Oh, didn't you know, Lennon is alive and well....Paul's been dead since 1966, etc etc....got to love conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

Oh, didn't you know, Lennon is alive and well....Paul's been dead since 1966, etc etc....got to love conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

Nothing

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. :)

Do punks and teddy boys get along?

John and Morrissey have little bits in common; love of girl groups; interest in the occult; love of cats and both great sense of humor. Lennon may actually have seems similarities in Morrissey to Paul. Both Gemini; both mercurical personalities. He would like him, but never turn his back on him.

John had a problem with Manchester and I'm not sure if it's a football rivalry thing or just some crappy experiences with auditions in the Beatles early days. I remember one fanzine stating that John HATED the Moody Blues for that reason alone. Morrissey at least was signed to DECCA. They were a 3rd rate label in John's day and perhaps even now. Any Beatle fans knows the story about what DECCA said about the Beatles.

Musically, John would have liked the Smiths. There are echos of three chord rock is some Smiths songs as well as 60s type McGuinn-guitar jangling. Morrissey's lyrics about England may have struck a chord with him. Lennon and Morrissey as solo artist have similiar writing styles; using just simple and blunt language to describe very complex emotions and ideas. I think John may have admired how Morrissey throws in words and ideas not usually covered in "pop" songs.

However, both men are of different eras. John generally was a positive person and a bit of an idealist. Morrissey is a realist. May not have made great music together, but perhaps have made a great situation comedy.

had Lennon not died, maybe he would have hooked up with Marr to form a new band :eek:
and and and, then uhh moz could have done a lot drugs in the happy mondays :crazy:
or or or, how about that after he could have had his career revitalized by noel from oasis, yeah, yeah, thats the ticket :lbf:

ps: for better alternative realities, please read
shrodingersraw.jpg

:rolleyes:

I think given the Liverpool-Manchester rivalry John would probably have put-on disdain but would secretly admire him.

I'm obviously sad John has gone (clear now who the talented one was in the Beatles) but think his death may have enhanced his legacy more than that of anyone (Kurt Cobain comes close). I happen to think his later solo stuff was rather mediocre to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom