Idiotic forum members with humongous signatures...

Please explain why Flax was banned for having a too-large signature pic, when many, many other members have ones that are just as big, or bigger. (Do you want me to provide examples?)

And then explain what term of service I violated in this post, because I sure didn't see an explanation in the infraction letter you sent:

Why don't you follow your own oh-so-helpful advice?

I don't suppose that either you or Kewpie noticed that I DID, in fact, reduce the size of my signature before I posted that oh-so-offensive reply. If that's not a groundless ban (oops, I mean "timeout"), I don't know what is.

Last edited:
1. Flax was not permanently banned, only a 3 day timeout. It wasn't a sig either, it was a flashing image aimed at poking fun at a moderator enforcing a rule.

2. I also gave you a 3 day timeout as you were asking for it in this post. Violations of the TOS will result in a permanent ban, do you want that? I gladly give out bans for those who ask for it. Moderators are only trying to help and I expect users to respect the simple rules of the sites.

Please explain why Flax was banned for having a too-large signature pic, when many, many other members have ones that are just as big, or bigger. (Do you want me to provide examples?)

And then explain what term of service I violated in this post, because I sure didn't see an explanation in the infraction letter you sent:

I don't suppose that either you or Kewpie noticed that I DID, in fact, reduce the size of my signature before I posted that oh-so-offensive reply. If that's not a groundless ban (oops, I mean "timeout"), I don't know what is.

I have a question concerning this. I'm not trying to be smart. i think its a valid question, well questions

1. is talking back, or insulting a moderator for lack of a better word..."worse" than insulting a regular member? like say...a student teacher relationship. you can call your classmate stupid, but not the teacher. you'll get in more trouble. is that sorta the case?

which leads to my second question

2. if its worse to talk back to a mod, as opposed to another forum member, wouldnt it be wrong for a moderator to talk down to a forum member? using my example from before, if a teacher called a student "stupid" as opposed to a fellow teacher, that teacher would probably be reprimanded. right?

again, honest question. not trying to be a smartass.

I was actually kind of wondering the same thing.

oh good!

remember when you were in school and you were afraid to ask a question cuz you thought youd look stupid. but then you did anyway and it tuned out that NO ONE knew the answer and everyone was glad you asked???

yeah i feel like that now. :)

hmmmm

Some elements of teacher - student relationship can be applied to moderator - forum user relationship.
However, it's more similar to traffic warden - road user relationship.

Most of the forum users do not attempt to violate TOS.
When moderators spot a troublemaker, take action against a culprit.

Second question is very tough one to answer.
IMHO, it depends on a forum user's general attitude towards the moderators.

Moderators are also human beings, sometimes unable to control feelings / frustrated when the argument become uncontrollable.
However, all the moderators are fully aware of TOS and making effort not cross the line.

Hopefully other moderators can add their thoughts and correct my post if I'm wrong. :o

You can say what you want, but if you keep repeating the same thing to the point of annoyance (and using big flashing images doesn't help) you may get an infraction. The same would apply to mods.

I have a question concerning this. I'm not trying to be smart. i think its a valid question, well questions

1. is talking back, or insulting a moderator for lack of a better word..."worse" than insulting a regular member? like say...a student teacher relationship. you can call your classmate stupid, but not the teacher. you'll get in more trouble. is that sorta the case?

which leads to my second question

2. if its worse to talk back to a mod, as opposed to another forum member, wouldnt it be wrong for a moderator to talk down to a forum member? using my example from before, if a teacher called a student "stupid" as opposed to a fellow teacher, that teacher would probably be reprimanded. right?

again, honest question. not trying to be a smartass.

Turn them off then!

You can say what you want, but if you keep repeating the same thing to the point of annoyance (and using big flashing images doesn't help) you may get an infraction. The same would apply to mods.

Has their been an instance of a moderator getting an infraction? I remember one summer I was on staff at camp, at I got sentenced to work detail along with some of the campers.

Has their been an instance of a moderator getting an infraction? I remember one summer I was on staff at camp, at I got sentenced to work detail along with some of the campers.

Yes, there was 'Jon' who was moderating the downloads forums. He later started causing problems, giving his password out. He had moderator privileges revoked and was eventually banned. He still trolls the site.

Yes, there was 'Jon' who was moderating the downloads forums. He later started causing problems, giving his password out. He had moderator privileges revoked and was eventually banned. He still trolls the site.

I learned something new. That would really upset me If someone I trusted to help my forum ended up like that. He would be Public Enemy #1.

I think anything a moderator says that has nothing to do with moderation is equal to anyone else.

If you think I say something that is completely bonkers and call me out on it.. that's life.

The commentary on the actual moderating is frustrating because the user base only sees one side of things. There are the reported posts, there are the moderator discussions, there are the PM's that get sent.

There are a lot of people that say "Foobar did X and got banned. Barfoo did it too, why didn't he get banned as well?" Those arguments are often based on the things you see only on the boards. There is also a natural propensity in human beings to side with their friends.

People also take any kind of moderation against them in a very deep and personal way. I sometimes will send someone a warning. I will use it simply to let them know that they are heading down a path that will lead to an infraction. I even tell them that it is just a warning and it has no impact on their ability to use the site. The response is usually anger.

People who have moderated at other boards, like MOZWA for example, can tell you that it's much different when you see the whole thing.

Moderation is not perfect. It is not a science. Often times moderation decisions are reversed. My personal goal as a moderator is to keep the forums going in a positive direction, expecially out-side of the Off Topic section.

I have said this before but the moderation here is very lax. I have been on boards where I have had posts deleted because the moderators felt that my content was not valuable enough. I have been on boards where you can't post for a week. You can't add an avatar or a sig file until you've reached 100 posts. Lot's of sites have rules against images in a sig file; none allowed, no animated gifs, nothing bigger than a thumbnail.. et cetera.

Now flame away!!! :D

I think anything a moderator says that has nothing to do with moderation is equal to anyone else.

If you think I say something that is completely bonkers and call me out on it.. that's life.

The commentary on the actual moderating is frustrating because the user base only sees one side of things. There are the reported posts, there are the moderator discussions, there are the PM's that get sent.

There are a lot of people that say "Foobar did X and got banned. Barfoo did it too, why didn't he get banned as well?" Those arguments are often based on the things you see only on the boards. There is also a natural propensity in human beings to side with their friends.

People also take any kind of moderation against them in a very deep and personal way. I sometimes will send someone a warning. I will use it simply to let them know that they are heading down a path that will lead to an infraction. I even tell them that it is just a warning and it has no impact on their ability to use the site. The response is usually anger.

People who have moderated at other boards, like MOZWA for example, can tell you that it's much different when you see the whole thing.

Moderation is not perfect. It is not a science. Often times moderation decisions are reversed. My personal goal as a moderator is to keep the forums going in a positive direction, expecially out-side of the Off Topic section.

I have said this before but the moderation here is very lax. I have been on boards where I have had posts deleted because the moderators felt that my content was not valuable enough. I have been on boards where you can't post for a week. You can't add an avatar or a sig file until you've reached 100 posts. Lot's of sites have rules against images in a sig file; none allowed, no animated gifs, nothing bigger than a thumbnail.. et cetera.

Now flame away!!! :D

"There is also a natural propensity in human beings to side with their friends."

I can clearly see that.

Tags
nrith tries to be cool the more u sig-nore me
Back
Top Bottom